Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

If you eat beef, can you still be considered a "Hindu?"

• Total voters

warriorextreme

Country flag
re: Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

I am vedic and eating any kind of flesh is non-vedic as it is unnecessary violence...but when it comes to survival I agree with Veer Savarkar's views...I will eat beef if it is the only way I can survive....

PS: Those claiming beef eating is permitted in vedas should understand that there have been lot of manipulations in vedas prior to buddha...

In vedas cow is referred to as Aghnya which means one which is not supposed be killed.

& Aditi: one that ought not to be cut into pieces.

Last edited:

sydsnyper

Country flag

Thank you sir/madam - This was a wonderful response to a somewhat convincing proposition. However, like it is said in the original anti-hindu video, there is in fact a passage from Swami Vivekananda's volume 3 (Page 150), where it is said that it was a practice to eat beef long back... (please see link below)

http://vsc.iitm.ac.in/Vivekananda/Complete works/Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda_-_Vol_3.pdf

Now, the jihadi video has not taken it in the right context and uses an out of context statement to justify that beef eating was prevalent in India. However, are there any scriptures that debunk or prove this ?

Twinblade

Country flag

India: Where cows are safer than women.

Simple question. Yes or No answer.

I relish beef and pork and eat both almost on a daily basis.
Hinduism does not have a rule book. Nothing is banned and everything is left to a combination of your conscience and the laws of the land. Anybody who shoves a Do's and Don't's list in your face in the name of Hinduism and asks you to obey it is a charlatan and a degenerate fraud.

When I was 11 years old, I read in some Hindu book (I forgot the name, unfortunately) that a Hindu who eats beef will "sink into the depths of hell" (yes, it used the word "hell").
How can a Hindu go to "hell" when there is no concept of heaven or hell in Hindu religion as it exists in Abrahamic religions. Besides, Hinduism is more akin to an 'Open Source Code' Religion where you are free to modify and add your modules and the design of your customised version might be in contradiction of earlier version, but it will still be connected to the same basic code.

warriorextreme

Country flag

Thank you sir/madam - This was a wonderful response to a somewhat convincing proposition. However, like it is said in the original anti-hindu video, there is in fact a passage from Swami Vivekananda's volume 3 (Page 150), where it is said that it was a practice to eat beef long back... (please see link below)

http://vsc.iitm.ac.in/Vivekananda/Complete works/Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda_-_Vol_3.pdf

Now, the jihadi video has not taken it in the right context and uses an out of context statement to justify that beef eating was prevalent in India. However, are there any scriptures that debunk or prove this ?
I have mentioned in my post that many manipulations where done in vedas prior to buddha and during birth of buddha beef and meat eating and animal sacrifice during yadnyas was rampant...Gautam Buddha himself has said that vedas were not what they used to be during his previous births...

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

How can a Hindu go to "hell" when there is no concept of heaven or hell in Hindu religion as it exists in Abrahamic religions. Besides, Hinduism is more akin to an 'Open Source Code' Religion where you are free to modify and add your modules and the design of your customised version might be in contradiction of earlier version, but it will still be connected to the same basic code.
What exactly is the "basic code"?

I have mentioned in my post that many manipulations where done in vedas prior to buddha and during birth of buddha beef and meat eating and animal sacrifice during yadnyas was rampant...Gautam Buddha himself has said that vedas were not what they used to be during his previous births...
Have you ever considered the possibility that it is modern "Hindu" groups like Arya Samaj who manipulated and reinterpreted the Vedas within the last 150 years, and not something which happened 2500 years ago?

warriorextreme

Country flag

What exactly is the "basic code"?

Have you ever considered the possibility that it is modern "Hindu" groups like Arya Samaj who manipulated and reinterpreted the Vedas within the last 150 years, and not something which happened 2500 years ago?
Is finding out contrasts within texts manipulation? Arya Samaj was started by Swami Dayanand Sarswati who was inspired by his guru...who in turn was inspired by his own guru....the fact that vedas and other texts like manusmriti were manipulated by brahmins is no more a myth...This has also been stated by Gautama Buddha in Vinaya Pitaka's section of Anguttara Nikaya...

mikhail

Country flag

I know of many "Hindus" who eat meat for all meals, irresp of "festivals". It also depends on region to region. Punjabi, Malayali and Bengali generally are more carnivorous.

To answer @civfanatic 's question. The answer is always it depends. A beef eater cannot be a Vaishnav Hindu. A cannibal can be an Aghori Hindu.
Sir,though Bengalis tend to be carnivorous in general,i know many Bengalis who are strict vegetarians.heck even my mom is a strict veggie from her birth.when i was a kid i used to be a carnivore but now i am strictly an eggiterian but this has nothing to do with our religion.personally i think that a person who is a veggie remains fit longer than his/her carnivore counterpart..

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

First I dislike the term Hindu and Hinduism. It is a term coined by foreigners and whether it has negative connotations or not, it should not be used. Some believe its derived from Sindhu some from the Persian Hindu. If Persians call us Hindu, or Arabs Hindi or English Indians I have no issues but we must have an indigenous term to describe us. Sanatan Dharma would be misnomer because atleast the Avatars,
Bhakti worship etc are not primordial.

Second Hindu and Hinduism are both ill-defined terms. Its identity is in terms of what it is not (even then there is no consensus and exceptions). Any ethnic Indian who doesn't profess allegiance to other organised religions would be a Hindu. My own definition of Hindu is one who will not be killed by Hindu mobs in a Religious riot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bilal

Hindu comes from Sindh i agree,also aryan nation has certain connections to hinduism,but aryan is from iranian,so broadly speaking all this area has been classified as broadly hindu regions afghanistan to singapore.And even Sikhs are considered to be pure form of hindus,but exact definations can be difficult and vary from person to person.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Hindu comes from Sindh i agree,also aryan nation has certain connections to hinduism,but aryan is from iranian,so broadly speaking all this area has been classified as broadly hindu regions afghanistan to singapore.And even Sikhs are considered to be pure form of hindus,but exact definations can be difficult and vary from person to person.
Hindu comes either from Sindhu or from the Parsi/Persian Hindu which is a derogatory term.

Aryan is actually an Indian term a variation of whom is also found in Zend Avesta. There are way to many similarities in Zend Avesta and Vedas.

Indic regions are ones where Indian culture dominates(dominated) and/or Indian genetic traits are found.

Sikhs would not classify them as Hindus but as Sikhs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

My own definition of Hindu is one who will not be killed by Hindu mobs in a Religious riot.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, I think this is the best definition of a "Hindu" that I have seen so far.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

My own definition of Hindu is one who will not be killed by Hindu mobs in a Religious riot.
Having been in Aid to Civil Power to quell unrest, I can assure you I could not make out who is of what religion.

All I could make out is who is disturbing the peace and he was taken to task!

natarajan

Eating beef is not a crime ,its just upto to the individual to follow unlike eating pork in muslims

aerokan

Country flag

Beef eating is not prohibited but highly discouraged. Where is the concept of heaven or hell when everything comes under the cloud of 'maya'?

Reading the original words and trying to interpret is where things will start to take wrong turn. Vedic texts are interpreted wrongly many a times and looked from a different context which usually changes the meaning.

If eating beef makes anyone a non-hindu, Lord Shiva would have been a non-hindu :scared2:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

It is a crime to eat animals!!
So, what is your answer to the OP? Is it "no"?

Beef eating is not prohibited but highly discouraged. Where is the concept of heaven or hell when everything comes under the cloud of 'maya'?

Reading the original words and trying to interpret is where things will start to take wrong turn. Vedic texts are interpreted wrongly many a times and looked from a different context which usually changes the meaning.

If eating beef makes anyone a non-hindu, Lord Shiva would have been a non-hindu :scared2:
Well, just as I predicted, there are Hindus here on this very thread who are claiming that Vedas are against beef-eating (and perhaps meat-eating altogether), while others are claiming the exact opposite. Obviously, they cannot both be right; someone has to be wrong.

From this episode, and others, it seems to me like many modern Hindus are quite confused about their own "religion".

aerokan

Country flag

So, what is your answer to the OP? Is it "no"?

Well, just as I predicted, there are Hindus here on this very thread who are claiming that Vedas are against beef-eating (and perhaps meat-eating altogether), while others are claiming the exact opposite. Obviously, they cannot both be right; someone has to be wrong.

From this episode, and others, it seems to me like many modern Hindus are quite confused about their own "religion".
That's the beauty.. isn't it? Everyone can interpret their own way and yet nobody will claim others to be non-hindu because of non-adherence to their own version of interpretation. That is precisely how Hinduism is designed. Is medicine good or bad? Those who got cured by the medicine will say it's good and those who took it in a different proportion and got affected by it will say it's bad. If I say that the medicine can't be both good and bad at the same time, is it justified? It can be both good and bad as per their interpretation and usage and most importantly the time. As I said before, good and bad are subjective and belongs to the 'maya' category. Likewise, i wouldn't call it confusion per se. It's just designed that way to ensure lesser conflicts among people and ensure the survival of the human race despite the conflicting opinions. It would be naive of us if we think Hinduism can be constrained to a simple set of rules. Hinduism is not a 'religion by the book'. All you will see are the guidelines, not the rules.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles