Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

If you eat beef, can you still be considered a "Hindu?"

• Total voters

Bilal

re: Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

Well i had a lot of my hindu friends try sheekh kabab when we dine out but it depends?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

The answer can not be simple Yes or No, since it would depend on your region/ sect and whatnot. Also I have never heard of expulsion from Hinduism. You can be bad Hindu maybe but I don't think there is an authority that can kick you out.

Now I am hungry. :(

Last edited:

Bilal

Whats on the menu?

Bilal

Are you all strict vegetarians,or some times who have a kabab or two,im curious?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

The answer can not be simple Yes or No, since it would depend on your region/ sect and whatnot. Also I have never heard of expulsion from Hinduism. you can be bad Hindu maybe but I don't think there is an authority that can kick you out.

Now I am hungry. :(
When I was 11 years old, I read in some Hindu book (I forgot the name, unfortunately) that a Hindu who eats beef will "sink into the depths of hell" (yes, it used the word "hell"). I was terrified after reading that, because I had tried beef for the first time shortly before.

I was not yet an atheist at that time, and still believed in "God".

Bilal

Well it depends i have read gita,some yoga scriptures and also a bit on uses of ghee how its useful,I agree with ayuruveda on most part that meat is rajas and produces increase in worldy desire.

Bilal

But i was at this akhara learning pehalwani,and this wrestler told me that ghee is satva and it opposes the rajas of meat so if you can eat ghee after meat it is an anti dote.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

When I was 11 years old, I read in some Hindu book (I forgot the name, unfortunately) that a Hindu who eats beef will "sink into the depths of hell" (yes, it used the word "hell"). I was terrified after reading that, because I had tried beef for the first time shortly before.

I was not yet an atheist at that time, and still believed in "God".
Maybe. But the most common scare tactic/punishment I am aware of is reincarnation as a lower life form depending on the kind of transgression. Consuming beef(or harming a cow in general) is pretty high up and there is supposed to be some form of penance that you can do. I have never heard of anyone who was forbidden from practicing the faith for any reason.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Last edited:

Bilal

So you guys never have any beef?what about chicken,mutton?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

Well i had a lot of my hindu friends try sheekh kabab when we dine out but it depends?
Well, I also know Muslims who get drunk every weekend, and some of them eat pork.

I am a voracious beef and pork eater and of every other type of meat available, but then again, I am an Atheist.

Interesting find from the net...

[video=youtube_share;RTZyrItjwls]http://youtu.be/RTZyrItjwls[/video]

Beef eating in Vedas and other Hindu texts - Islam and Hinduism Initiative

The Hindu : Beef eating: strangulating history

Cow eating in Hindu Scriptures

Beef eating in the Hindu Tradition | Rohini Bakshi - Academia.edu
This is indeed very interesting, because I have seen many Hindus, including some on this forum, claim the exact opposite - that the taboo on beef-eating was present since Vedic times, and that Indians revered the cow since time immemorial.

Just goes to show how history can be utilized and manipulated.

Bilal

So who is the top guy in hinduism,the christians have there pope,the jews have rabbis?

Bilal

LOL,and owaisi the top guy for miya bhais,;)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

I know of many "Hindus" who eat meat for all meals, irresp of "festivals". It also depends on region to region. Punjabi, Malayali and Bengali generally are more carnivorous.

To answer @civfanatic 's question. The answer is always it depends. A beef eater cannot be a Vaishnav Hindu. A cannibal can be an Aghori Hindu.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

What if someone is a Shaiva Hindu? or Vedic Hindu?

I know of many "Hindus" who eat meat for all meals, irresp of "festivals". It also depends on region to region. Punjabi, Malayali and Bengali generally are more carnivorous.

To answer @civfanatic 's question. The answer is always it depends. A beef eater cannot be a Vaishnav Hindu. A cannibal can be an Aghori Hindu.

kseeker

Retired

I am a fish eating Vaishnav Brahmin (GSB) ! I eat Chicken, Mutton, Fork (tried once, didn't like the taste) ... No Beef till now ! Why ? Don't know, simply don't want to try that. Well, I had tried frog meat once while I was drunk ;) tastes like Chicken :D

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

Section 1: No violence against animals

——————————————
Yasmintsarvaani bhutaanyaatmaivaabhuudvijaanatah
Tatra ko mohah kah shokah ekatvamanupasyatah
Yajurveda 40.7

"Those who see all beings as souls do not feel infatuation or anguish at their sight, for they experience oneness with them".
How could people who believed in the doctrines of indestructibility, transmigration dare to kill living animals in yajnas? They might be seeing the souls of their own near and dear ones of bygone days residing in those living beings.
———————————————
Anumantaa vishasitaa nihantaa krayavikrayee
Samskartaa chopahartaa cha khadakashcheti ghaatakaah
Manusmrithi 5.51
Those who permit slaying of animals; those who bring animals for slaughter; those who slaughter; those who sell meat; those who purchase meat; those who prepare dish out of it; those who serve that
meat and those who eat are all murderers.
———————————————
Breehimattam yavamattamatho maashamatho tilam
Esha vaam bhaago nihito ratnadheyaaya dantau maa hinsishtam pitaram maataram cha
Atharvaveda 6.140.2

O teeth! You eat rice, you eat barley, you gram and you eat sesame. These cereals are specifically meant for you. Do not kill those who are capable of being fathers and mothers.
——————————————–
Ya aamam maansamadanti paurusheyam cha ye kravih
Garbhaan khaadanti keshavaastaanito naashayaamasi
Atharvaveda 8.6.23

We ought to destroy those who eat cooked as well as uncooked meat, meat involving destruction of males and females, foetus and eggs.
——————————————-
Anago hatya vai bheema kritye
Maa no gaamashvam purusham vadheeh
Atharvaveda 10.1.29

It is definitely a great sin to kill innocents. Do not kill our cows, horses and people.

How could there be justification of cow and other animals being killed when killing is so clearly prohibited in the Vedas?
———————————————
Aghnyaa yajamaanasya pashoonpahi
Yajurveda 1.1

"O human! animals are Aghnya – not to be killed. Protect the animals"
———————————————
Pashunstraayethaam
Yajurveda 6.11

Protect the animals.
———————————————
Dwipaadava Chatushpaatpaahi
Yajurveda 14.8

Protect the bipeds and quadrupeds!
———————————————-
Kravy da –kravya[ meat obtained from slaughter] + Ada [ the eater]—the meat eater.

Pisacha — pisita [meat] +asa [eater]—the meat eater.

Asutrpa — Asu [breath of life] + trpa [one who satisfies himself on]—one who takes others life for his meals.

Garba da and Anda da – the foetus and egg eaters.

Mans da – the meat eaters

Meat eaters have always been looked down in Vedic literature. They have been known as Rakshasas, Pisacha and so on"¦.All these words are synonyms of demons or devils that have been out-cast from the civilized human society.
——————————————–
Urjam no dhehi dwipade chatushpade
Yajurveda 11.83

"May all bipeds and quadrupeds gain strength and nourishment"

This mantra is recited by Hindus before every meal. How could the same philosophy which prays for well-being of every soul in every moment of life, approve of killing animals?

Section 3: No beef in Vedas

Not only the Vedas are against animal slaughter but also vehemently oppose and prohibit cow slaughter.Yajurveda forbids killing of cows, for they provide energizing food for human beings

———————————
Ghrtam duhaanaamaditim janaayaagne maa himsiheeh
Yajurveda 13.49

Do not kill cows and bulls who always deserve to be protected.

—————————————-
Aare gohaa nrhaa vadho vo astu
Rigveda 7.56.17

In Rigveda cow slaughter has been declared a heinous crime equivalent to human murder and it has been said that those who commits this crime should be punished.
—————————————–
Sooyavasaad bhagavatee hi bhooyaa atho vayam bhagvantah syaama
Addhi trnamaghnye vishwadaaneem piba shuddhamudakamaacharantee
Rigveda 1.164.40 or Atharv 7.73.11 or Atharv 9.10.20

The Aghnya cows – which are not to be killed under any circumstances– may keep themselves healthy by use of pure water and green grass, so that we may be endowed with virtues, knowledge and wealth.

—————————————
The Vedic Lexicon, Nighantu, gives amongst other synonyms of Gau[ or cow] the words Aghnya. Ahi, and Aditi. Yaska the commentator on Nighantu, defines these as-
Aghnya the one that ought not to be killed
Ahi the one that must not be slaughtered.
Aditi the one that ought not to be cut into pieces.

These three names of cow signify that the animal ought not to be put to tortures. These words appear frequently throughout the Vedas in context of the cow.

——————————————–

Aghnyeyam saa vardhataam mahate soubhagaaya

Rigveda 1.164.27
Cow – The aghnya – brings us health and prosperity

Suprapaanam Bhavatvaghnyaayaah
Rigveda 5.83.8
There should be excellent facility for pure water for Aghnya Cow

Yah paurusheyena kravishaa samankte yo ashwena pashunaa yaatudhaanah

Yo aghnyaayaa bharati ksheeramagne teshaam sheershaani harasaapi vrishcha
Rigveda 10.87.16

Those who feed on human, horse or animal flesh and those who destroy milk-giving Aghnya cows should be severely punished.

Vimucchyadhvamaghnyaa devayaanaa aganma
Yajurveda 12.73
The Aghnya cows and bulls bring you prosperity

Maa gaamanaagaamaditim vadhishta
Rigveda 8.101.15
Do not kill the cow. Cow is innocent and aditi – that ought not to be cut into pieces

Antakaaya goghaatam
Yajurveda 30.18
Destroy those who kill cows

Yadi no gaam hansi yadyashwam yadi poorusham
Tam tvaa seesena vidhyaamo yatha no so aveeraha
Atharvaveda 1.16.4

If someone destroys our cows, horses or people, kill him with a bullet of lead.

Vatsam jaatamivaaghnyaa
Atharvaveda 3.30.1
Love each other as the Aghnya – non-killable cow – loves its calf

Dhenu sadanam rayeenaam
Atharvaveda 11.1.34
Cow is fountainhead of all bounties

The entire 28th Sukta or Hymn of 6th Mandal of Rigveda sings the glory of cow.
Aa gaavo agnamannuta bhadramakrantseedantu

Bhooyobhooyo rayimidasya vardhayannabhinne

Na taa nashanti na dabhaati taskaro naasaamamitro vyathiraa dadharshati

Na taa arvaa renukakaato ashnute na samskritramupa yanti taa abhi

Gaavo bhago gaava indro me achhaan

Yooyam gaavo medayathaa

Maa vah stena eeshata maaghanshasah

1. Everyone should ensure that cows are free from miseries and kept healthy.
2. God blesses those who take care of cows.
3. Even the enemies should not use any weapon on cows
4. No one should slaughter the cow
5. Cow brings prosperity and strength

6. If cows keep healthy and happy, men and women shall also keep disease free and prosperous

7. May the cow eat green grass and pure water. May they not be killed and bring prosperity to us.

———————————————-

What more proofs does one need to understand the high esteem in whichnot only the cow but each living being is held in the Vedas.

The learned audience can decide for themselves from these evidences that the Vedas are completely against any inhuman practice"¦ to top it all the Beef and Cow slaughter.
———————————————–
For more info read: No beef in Vedas — Self-Help | Motivation | Spiritualism | Rationalism | Vedas | Hinduism | Anti-Casteism | Women Rights - Agniveer

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles