British ships banned from docking in Buenos Aires

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Let me make it easier for you.

Bhowani Junction is a 1954 novel by John Masters, which was the basis of a successful 1956 film. It is set amidst the turbulence of the British withdrawal from India. It is notable for its portrayal of the Eurasian (Anglo-Indian) community.

The book is set in 1946/1947, shortly before India gained independence. Victoria is an Anglo-Indian, the daughter of a railwayman. Patrick, also an Anglo-Indian, considers himself her boyfriend, but her feelings towards him have become ambivalent after she experiences British Army culture (see below). In vigorously defending herself from a British army officer who is attempting to rape her Victoria unintentionally kills him but is persuaded not to report the matter by a subordinate of Patrick's--a Sikh, Ranjit, who hopes to marry her and whose family and friends help her to avoid detection.

As presented in the novel (and rather simplified in the film), Victoria had decided to escape the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Anglo-Indian community by joining the British Army during the Second World War--but with the war's end and her coming home, she is confronted with the problem all over again. Her becoming engaged to Ranjit was an attempt to become assimilated in wider Indian society—since British rule is visibly on its way out—until she realises that this marriage would require her to give up her name (and essentially, her identity).

She runs away from the Sikhs and literally into the arms of a dashing British officer, Rodney Savage (commander of a Gurkha battalion), becoming both his lover and his unofficial adjutant in the last hectic days of British rule in India. But in the end she realises that she cannot escape her origins, and—rejecting both the Indian man and the British one—chooses Patrick, an Anglo-Indian like herself.

Patrick begins to realise that in the new India, his children might have a chance of becoming anyone they want to, rather than having to stick to the traditional role of Anglo-Indians, working on the railways.

Bhowani Junction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scalieback

Professional
Let me make it easier for you.

Bhowani Junction is a 1954 novel by John Masters, which was the basis of a successful 1956 film. It is set amidst the turbulence of the British withdrawal from India. It is notable for its portrayal of the Eurasian (Anglo-Indian) community.

The book is set in 1946/1947, shortly before India gained independence. Victoria is an Anglo-Indian, the daughter of a railwayman. Patrick, also an Anglo-Indian, considers himself her boyfriend, but her feelings towards him have become ambivalent after she experiences British Army culture (see below). In vigorously defending herself from a British army officer who is attempting to rape her Victoria unintentionally kills him but is persuaded not to report the matter by a subordinate of Patrick's--a Sikh, Ranjit, who hopes to marry her and whose family and friends help her to avoid detection.

As presented in the novel (and rather simplified in the film), Victoria had decided to escape the claustrophobic atmosphere of the Anglo-Indian community by joining the British Army during the Second World War--but with the war's end and her coming home, she is confronted with the problem all over again. Her becoming engaged to Ranjit was an attempt to become assimilated in wider Indian society—since British rule is visibly on its way out—until she realises that this marriage would require her to give up her name (and essentially, her identity).

She runs away from the Sikhs and literally into the arms of a dashing British officer, Rodney Savage (commander of a Gurkha battalion), becoming both his lover and his unofficial adjutant in the last hectic days of British rule in India. But in the end she realises that she cannot escape her origins, and—rejecting both the Indian man and the British one—chooses Patrick, an Anglo-Indian like herself.

Patrick begins to realise that in the new India, his children might have a chance of becoming anyone they want to, rather than having to stick to the traditional role of Anglo-Indians, working on the railways.

Bhowani Junction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What has that drivel got to do with Brit ships in BA?

Edited to add: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049007/

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Precisely.

What has the Falklanders (who are predominant of British extract) and Gibraltarians wanting to be with UK got to do with history of the Island and the legitimacy of the British or Argentinian claim?

That 'drivel' was to indicate why Falklanders and Gibraltarians of British extract want to align with Britain.

Surprising that you missed such an easy point put forth!

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional
Scalieback

Defence Professionals

This message has been deleted by Ray.
Reason On this forum, civil language is expected.

This is the wole question. who moderates the moderators?

Answer the question Ray. Put the post back if you dare and I'll delete the insult.

I feel the insult is justified as it shows exactly the sort of person you are. However, I want the point to be answered. You were wrong, admit it!

Why did british soldiers call falkland islanders bennies in the 80s after the falklands war? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Scalieback

Professional
Precisely.

What has the Falklanders (who are predominant of British extract) and Gibraltarians wanting to be with UK got to do with history of the Island and the legitimacy of the British or Argentinian claim?

That 'drivel' was to indicate why Falklanders of British extract want to align with Britain.
Oh jeez, here we go again :rolleyes:

I mentioned Gib as it has a similar history to the FI. Get it? Understand?

Your rambling on about people from a different culture assimilating whilst marginally interesting is going away from the point.

Anyway, admit you were wong about Bennies!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Answer the question Ray. Put the post back if you dare and I'll delete the insult.

I feel the insult is justified as it shows exactly the sort of person you are. However, I want the point to be answered. You were wrong, admit it!

Why did british soldiers call falkland islanders bennies in the 80s after the falklands war? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

You keep blaming all Moderators.

Please understand this is an Indian Forum.

It will do you good to realise that we are an Independent country and are not quite amenable to be dictated around

So, you may tone down your dictates as to how the Moderators should work or how the Moderators must obey you.

Sorry, that is not the way the world goes around these days.

The fact that I am patient is good enough an indication that we can take a lot of rubbish thrown at us and it show our democratic ways.

No other poster has displayed the audacity to DEMAND that it has to be THEIR way or Highway!

Calm down and merge into the ethos of the forum. Democracy with the goodness of being civil and not hector how things should be done.

If you think otherwise, then buy yourself a forum and have your way.

Till then, when in Rome, do as the Romans do!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Oh jeez, here we go again :rolleyes:

I mentioned Gib as it has a similar history to the FI. Get it? Understand?

Your rambling on about people from a different culture assimilating whilst marginally interesting is going away from the point.

Anyway, admit you were wong about Bennies!
I am not rambling.

It is you who is darting here and there just to prove a point that does not exist.

The Argentinians research papers talk of the Bennies.

I am not too sure, but then I did see a reference that indicates that the British soldiers called the Falklanders as Bennies and it was resented.

To that extent, yes, you maybe right.

Scalieback

Professional
I am not rambling.

It is you who is darting here and there just to prove a point that does not exist.

The Argentinians research papers talk of the Bennies.

I am not too sure, but then I did see a reference that indicates that the British soldiers called the Falklanders as Bennies and it was resented.

To that extent, yes, you maybe right.
Hallelujah and it is nothing to do with 'may' I am right and you are wrong. Have the grace to admit it

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nope, just Kunal and now you. Whilst I disagree with the 'right wing extremism mod, I understand why he moved it and carried on.

If you think I've dictated anything to you, you really do have a lot to learn about boards, being a mod and frankly life.

All I've seen is bullying from two mods. You and Kunal. You may think bullying is appropriate, but i don't.

Nobody has demanded that Ray. In fact I'm quite happy to post the PM's so others can see that you, Pmaitra and Yusuf agreed with a Mod being scared to enter into a debate if you like?

You've just proven you are a bully and you don't have the evidence to back up anything I have allegedly said about my way or the highway. In fact, it is you that has chosen that particular course of action :cool:

i have no intention of bluffing, blustering or bullying. Thanks and goodbye
Goodbye.

You shall not be missed.

So long, farewell
Auf Wiedersehen, goodnight
'
Good to hear that one has to learn how to Moderate from a British chap, whose own Forum is a replica of Hitler's stormtrooper and Moderators being Hitler;s Brown Shirts!

Truth hurts and you show it.

Sour and a bad loser!

I will put it this way, I can't be browbeaten by those who wish to dictate terms under false grandeur of thinking that Britain still rules the waves.

Sadly, it does not.

That should sink in or else there will be greater woes for Britain.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Originally Posted by Scalieback

If you think I've dictated anything to you, you really do have a lot to learn about boards, being a mod and frankly life.
If this is not hectoring and attempted browbeating which I reject with the contempt that it deserves, what is?

I cannot reconcile with the idea that Scalieback is the sole person who knows how to do anything and everything and every poster or Moderator is merely a clueless chump!

Misplaced Arrogance at its Best!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles