Brahmaputra diversion by China: How should India respond?

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
G-Maps: Chinese dams on Brahmaputra river

Proposed hydropower dams on Yarlung Tsangpo (upper Bramahputra) River
Only Zangmu is being built.

Created on Aug 16, 2009 · By Kevin · Updated Aug 17, 2009

Lengda (冷达)
山南地区加查县冷达镇

Zhongda (仲达)
林芝地区朗县仲达镇

Langzhen (朗镇)
林芝地区朗县朗镇

Jiexu (街需)
桑日县泽当镇街需

Jiacha (加查)
山南地区加查县城

Zangmu (藏木)
山南地区加查县拉绥乡藏木村

G-Map link: Proposed hydropower dams on Yarlung Tsangpo (upper Bramahputra) River - Google Maps

visso

if we could dam the river, and divert the whole flow into Xingjiang Autonomous Region

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
China Considers Diverting the Brahmaputra River

June 8, 2011

Jun. 8 – Faced with severe challenges brought by reduced water resources and a severe drought that has affected a large portion of the country, China has started to consider diverting water from the Brahmaputra River, the watercourse that originates upstream from southwestern Tibet (where it is known as the Yarlung Zangbo River) and finally enters India, a recent report by Xinhua News Agency says.

Wang Guangqian, a scholar at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, said on June 3 that Chinese experts have raised a new proposal to divert water from the upper reaches of the Brahmaputra River to the country's northwestern province of Xinjiang. The water diversion route in the proposal, named the "Grand Western Canal," is slightly different from the "western canal" mentioned in China's well-known South-North Water Diversion Project approved by the State Council in December 2002.

While the previous canal aims to alleviate water shortages in Qinghai, Gansu, and Ningxia and plans to divert water from three rivers in the Yangtze River's upper reaches – namely the Tongtian River (Qinghai), the Yalong River (Sichuan) and the Dadu River (Sichuan) – the newly proposed route is expected to start from the Brahmaputra River, from which China can reroute the water to Xinjiang along the Qinghai-Tibet Railway and the Hexi Corridor – part of the Northern Silk Road located in Gansu Province.

Wang admitted the serious water crisis across China has forced experts to think about the new water diversion scheme earlier than they had wanted to.

"We thought this would be a plan 50 years later," he said.

Due to the increasing demand for water along the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River and the Yellow River – China's two largest and most heavily-exploited domestic watercourses – the upper reaches of the two rivers have seen a significant decline in their water reserves. What is worse, as a result of surface water deficiency, almost all of China's first and second-tier cities have the problem of groundwater overdraft and are threatened by potential risks brought by the lowering of the water table (the level at which the submarine pressure is far from atmostpheric pressure).

In fact, experts originally brought up various plans to reroute water from the largest river in Tibet a long time ago. One of the most famous proposals was raised in 1990 by Guo Kai, a water expert, suggesting a project that diverts 200.6 billion cubic meters of water every year from the Brahmaputra River to the Yellow River. However, according to a 2009 Xinhua report, Wang Shucheng, the previous minister of the Ministry of Water Resources, somewhat denied the feasibility of the plan. At the time, Wang Shucheng believed the water diversion from the Yangtze River is enough for North China's water supply and redirecting so much water from the Brahmaputra River every year is not even practical, because such a huge flush will destroy all the dams over the Yellow River.

Presently, Chinese experts and governmental officials are still studying the feasibility and possible impacts of distinct proposals.

Although China has claimed first-use-rights over the Brahmaputra and all of the other rivers in Tibet, the water resource exploitation of those international rivers is not only a domestic issue. Downstream, the Brahmaputra flows through India as well as Bangladesh and serves as a major fresh water source for a myriad of people.

While China finally confirmed the construction of a dam project over the Brahmaputra last year, India's Minister of State for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh already commented that the project is "unacceptable" and stressed the "great fear in India" would be China's water diversion of the Brahmaputra, which may impact Northeastern India ecologically and bring the threat of drought to the region.

China Considers Diverting the Brahmaputra River | 2point6billion.com - Foreign Direct Investment in Asia

huaxia rox

water shotage is becoming a big issue in the fast developing china...any possible measure should be taken into considerations very carefully. so far no water diverting from yalu zang bu river.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
India's response to any perceived water diversion should be clear. Declaration of Nuclear War.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
WAR! WAR! WAR!

If China proceeds with this plan then this is akin to a stab on India's back... cowardly yet still damaging to India.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
You think you can?
In a nuclear war?

huaxia rox

You think you can?
In a nuclear war?
well it depends on who the foe is.......anyway i didnt say nuclear war 1st cos i m not insame and PRC has no first policy so we only counter attack those mentally challenged who may only know talk the talk but never walk the walk.

WAR! WAR! WAR!

If China proceeds with this plan then this is akin to a stab on India's back... cowardly yet still damaging to India.
how PRC using the water of its own for its own people like me is acting cowardly?chinese die thirsty or with no electricity is what u want?

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
well it depends on who the foe is.......anyway i didnt say nuclear war cos i m not insame and PRC has no first policy so we only counter attack those mentally challenged who may only know talk the talk but never walk the walk.
Of course, but when it comes to dying, we might as well die with radiation poisoning than with thirst, at least we'll take you guys with us then.

counter attack those mentally challenged who may only know talk the talk but never walk the walk
How do you counter-attack people who have "talk the talk but never walk the walk"?
I mean this maxim should imply that the other guys are merely saber-rattling and PRC has struck them preemptively!!

If this is your definition of No First Use then I think PRC needs a dictionary.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
and u think u can win?
well we certainly aren't MAD enough to lose a nuclear war

well it depends on who the foe is.......anyway i didnt say nuclear war cos i m not insame and PRC has no first policy so we only counter attack those mentally challenged who may only know talk the talk but never walk the walk.
Mother of all poker games.

how PRC using the water of its own for its own people like me is acting cowardly?chinese die thirsty or with no electricity is what u want?
If how PRC manages its water has catastrophic results for India then, yes, it matters to India.

huaxia rox

Of course, but when it comes to dying, we might as well die with radiation poisoning than with thirst, at least we'll take you guys with us then.

How do you counter-attack people who have "talk the talk but never walk the walk"?
I mean this maxim should imply that the other guys are merely saber-rattling and PRC has struck them preemptively!!

If this is your definition of No First Use then I think PRC needs a dictionary.
1 so according to ur theory if KSA and iran 1 day run out all the oil they got u gonna nuke them and ask the US to drill the oil in alaska for u indans rite?

2 well u made a good point though........actually....the possibity of some agnil missiles finally launch succeefully and then deliver the war heads succeefully then penetrate PRCs mid-way antimissile system and other systems succeefully and then explode with adaquate power which i mean more than 5KT succeefully over PRC cannot be ruled out indeed like i cant say u will never get hit by a falling star when walking on the street.

huaxia rox

well we certainly aren't MAD enough to lose a nuclear war

Mother of all poker games.

If how PRC manages its water has catastrophic results for India then, yes, it matters to India.
every nation has its rites to use its resources when necessary. if u need water as well u can do a range of things like start desalting sea water etc.

i m sure PRC will 1 day go for the water of yalu zang bu so pls make sure ur nuclear attacks on PRC r not merely ur wet dreams.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Diversion of the water ways can cause an ecological imbalance in the region resulting in change in weather, reduction of intensity of rainfall turning fertile land into dry barren lands, extinction of numerous varieties of spices, a few to mention are the Tiger and Rhinosorous reserves in the region, which can result in a negative impact upon the nature and environment, it can result in from environmental shift to catastrophic disaster for mankind, so my friends from PRC what do you say do you still support the diversion of the river for a lesser cause?

arya

Country flag
if you show you are weak then you loss permit to live

world is only for strong so if you want to live you have to make yourself strong or be ready

arya

Country flag
every nation has its rites to use its resources when necessary. if u need water as well u can do a range of things like start desalting sea water etc.

i m sure PRC will 1 day go for the water of yalu zang bu so pls make sure ur nuclear attacks on PRC r not merely ur wet dreams.
well its not just river its all about the china policy

china has to understand one thing if they try to disturb us then they should be ready for the same

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
if you show you are weak then you loss permit to live

world is only for strong so if you want to live you have to make yourself strong or be ready
Then what should be done against this latest Chinese provocation?

arya

Country flag
Then what should be done against this latest Chinese provocation?
first of all every indian has to think they want to spend there life or they want to live there life with proud

if you want to live with proud then you has to pay for it

we have to increase our strength ,our numbers, development, friends,growth

let the enemy keep busy in there own home with there own problems ,china has lots of weak points we have to work on that

Iamanidiot

The Chinese scholar is hot air and Chinese posters are even hotter air.Till date the CCP is unable to get rid of the headaches of three gorges dam and right now they are even thinking of removing the Three gorges dam if the Headache that ocurred this year are a repeated feature.Now the Chinese posters are saying the CCP will try to divert the Brahmaputra River and build a canal through the Tibetian plateau and mountaineous regions and add to that spark war with lower Riparian Countries like India not some pygmy South-east Asian country.

If everyone believes the Garbage the Chinese posters say("We are gods with the mandate of heaven") so obey us

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Frankly speaking you people don't encourage a discussion, only you do is bashing........I am sorry to say that, peace out.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles