Bad Sportsmanship from China and Korea

Tianshan

The act was brazen. Isn't know the Chinese were so stupid that their deliberate act would not be found out.
Wonder how much more they are manipulating in the olympic games in their quest for medals.

Where are our Chinese friends here. What spin do tet have for this shameless display?
no spin, no excuse. it was a great shame.

whether stupidity or deliberately bad sportsmanship there is no excuse. they should have been punished more severely.

Last edited:

s002wjh

Country flag
The act was brazen. Isn't know the Chinese were so stupid that their deliberate act would not be found out.
Wonder how much more they are manipulating in the olympic games in their quest for medals.

Where are our Chinese friends here. What spin do tet have for this shameless display?
you do know there are other cheats so what make china special. here is the link on doping caught in olympic. as you can see there are plently countries caught doping including India.

Use of performance-enhancing drugs in the Olympic Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there is no justification for cheating but pick solely on china indicate stereotype and bias.

no smoking

Country flag

From the day that money were involved in sports, this kind of things happened all the time:

20 years of hard training, the life of all the future years after retirements, etc, all these are deceded by the color of their medal.

I won't agree with them but I understand them beacause there are too much things on the line for them.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I agree with NO SMOKING. These Chinese athletes are under more pressure to win than all the others. "Winning at all cost" is one thing that's not good about China (this happens in all other facets of life especially in business).

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One should not throw away games.

Play and lose or win.

The aim is participation and enjoying.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No Smoking,

It may well be the fear of medals tally that the contingent has to get or face the wrath of CPC which is driving this type of despicable show.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Could it be that losing in front of the world may have serious consequence which puts pressure on the athletes, more so in the case of China.

China, after all, did magnificently in Beijing Olympics and so it cannot afford to lose in London.

What happens to the Chinese athletes when they lose?

Are they retired and sent home without a farthing or are they allowed to continue in the sport of their choice?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"Yang Wenjun won gold in the Olympics. It brings good luck here." But his mother, Nie Chunhua, said Yang had been anything but lucky. She wiped away tears with hands dark and swollen from farming.

"If I had better economic condition, I would not like him to do sports," Nie, 49, said this spring. "Every time I think about him training, I feel so sad that my heart hurts. For him, and for me, there is so much pain."

Yang, one of China's most successful water sports athletes, has never lived in his apartment. He has not seen his parents in three years. At 24, he lives 250 miles away at his sport's training center, where he is preparing for the Beijing Olympics.

Yang said he could not stand his life.
"I do not want to work as an athlete, but as an athlete here I have no freedom to choose my future," Yang said, speaking through the team's official interpreter. "As a child, I didn't learn anything but sport, and now what do I do? I can't do anything else. I have my own dreams, but it is very difficult. I don't have the foundation to make them come true."

Officials refused to let Yang retire, even after he won Olympic gold in the C-2 500-meter race with Meng Guanliang at the Athens Games in 2004. He described how they had threatened to withhold his retirement payment if he did not compete through the Beijing Games.

"It is not possible to survive without those benefits," said Yang, whose parents say he receives a monthly stipend of $230 and performance-based bonuses.

Pressure to remain an athlete weighs on him. His father and sister received white-collar jobs because of his celebrity. His mother stopped working. They all moved into Yang's apartment from their two-room cottage. Team, province and local government officials receive a percentage of Yang's winnings and a cut of his endorsement deal with Nike.

But Yang, who trains seven hours every day, is sick of the exhaustion brought on by canoeing, he said. His mother and father, Yang Yixiang, revealed that their son had a liver disease that caused extreme fatigue. Neither Yang nor his parents named the disease, but they said it could shorten his life. Chinese water sports officials said that Yang has had hepatitis since birth, but they could not say which form he has.
Thanks Yusuf for the link.

It tells the sad tale for the whole family, including the athlete, even in the height of glory!

The path is break breaking and in isolation from family life and pleasure.

And there is no private life.

One has to jump through the hoop at every signal!

One wonders if it is worth it!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Because if you read the article Yusuf appended, there is no hope thereafter for such people.

The Chinese Govt does not brook defeat or what bring shame to the glorious Chinese Communist people!

"We ... only chose to use the rules to abandon the match.

"This was only so as to be able to compete better in the second round of the knockout (stage). This is the first time the Olympics has changed the (event's format). Don't they understand the harm this has caused the athletes?

"You have heartlessly shattered our dreams," said Yu. "It's that simple, not complicated at all. But this is unforgiveable."
"It's that simple, not complicated at all. But this is unforgiveable."
Actually, it is indeed simple.

The players head will be on the block on return.

Chinese Communists have nothing in their lexicon called forgiveness and so unforgiveable!

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
One must investigate their matches played during Beijing Olympics 2008 as well.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
well if it's true that they have another match on the next day , is it fair to blame them for conserving energy ? the blame should be on improper scheduling instead ? - but this is a tough one to judge -if i were a spectator i would be fedup for having to watch junk live

DMF

The formats keep changing from one cup to other or one games to the other to spice-up the competition and provide good spectacle to the audience. This is nothing new.

Just becaue the format is not favourable to you it doesn't mean that you go and throw your matches. That's bad sportsmanship at many levels. In this case, the Chinese aim was to get the gold at any cost even at the cost of sportsmanship and olympic spirit.
In Olympic games, the goal of the sportsmen is the medals, they play to arrive at the final match. but this time, the badminton match players have to play in groups first, instead of starting with an elimination match, this new format make the players can find out who they will face after they qualified to the next round, and also in the group match, you don't not have to win all the matches to qualify the next round, this format is flawed, it's not logic for the player to defeat an opponent simply to face an opponent they not like to face, in this case, buth Chini and Kori not like to face the No.2 in the world rank, so the match fail, if one of them have to win to move to next round, then the match will be a good one.
You hope the sportsmen will play very hard against themselves? In a Olimpic game, to win means to lose is reasonable? You think it's fair to place all the blames on the players?
Not only Chini and Kori throw the game, the Indonici also did the same, if Indi in such a situation, the Indi will do it also.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
In Olympic games, the goal of the sportsmen is the medals, they play to arrive at the final match. but this time, the badminton match players have to play in groups first, instead of starting with an elimination match, this new format make the players can find out who they will face after they qualified to the next round, and also in the group match, you don't not have to win all the matches to qualify the next round, this format is flawed, it's not logic for the player to defeat an opponent simply to face an opponent they not like to face, in this case, buth Chini and Kori not like to face the No.2 in the world rank, so the match fail, if one of them have to win to move to next round, then the match will be a good one.
You hope the sportsmen will play very hard against themselves? In a Olimpic game, to win means to lose is reasonable? You think it's fair to place all the blames on the players?
Not only Chini and Kori throw the game, the Indonici also did the same, if Indi in such a situation, the Indi will do it also.
You are being an apologist for their wrong doing.

What would China do if both the chinese teams had to face in first knockout itself. Will they throw the match as well?.

In Olympics, the goal of sportsmen might be medal but the goal of olympic spirit is to showcase your best of abilities and skills. So spirit of olympics trumps the goal of players and hence they are unceremoniously kicked of the game and rightly so.

s002wjh

Country flag
One must investigate their matches played during Beijing Olympics 2008 as well.
you need to understand this olympic rule first before accuse of investigate 2008. the round robin was create for london game.

on another even seem japanese are start doing somethign similar

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...-to-intentional-draw--fifa-clears-tactic.html
LONDON – The Olympics' match-fixing controversy spread to the soccer tournament on Wednesday after revelations that women's world champion Japan deliberately drew its final group game. Japan's head coach Norio Sasaki ordered his players to adopt a game plan focused entirely on defense against South Africa on Tuesday, despite their opponent being one of the weakest in the competition.

Sure enough, an entirely predictable 0-0 draw was the outcome, meaning the Asian side finished second in Group F.

"I feel sorry we couldn't show a respectable game, but it is my responsibility, not the players', why the game was like that," Sasaki said. "It was a different way of playing compared to the usual game, but the players were on the same page as me."

While the eight women's doubles badminton players disqualified on Wednesday had tried to throw their matches in order to gain a more favorable draw, Japan did it to cut down on their Olympics travel arrangements.

Japan will now face Brazil in a quarterfinal on Friday, but the game will take place in Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, the same site as its draw with South Africa. A victory over South Africa would have seen Japan top the group, but forced them to travel to Hampden Park in Glasgow, more than 300 miles away, to take on France.

The tactic is an unusual one, as Brazil is one of the strongest teams in women's soccer and, in Marta, has the player widely considered to be the finest in the world. Brazil lost to the United States in a dramatic quarterfinal penalty shootout at the women's World Cup last year, while Japan went on to beat the Americans, also in a shootout, in the final.

Unlike badminton's world federation, which was embarrassed and infuriated by the ludicrous scenes that saw two South Korean pairs and one Chinese and one Indonesian team attempt to lose, soccer governing body FIFA took a far more relaxed approach and has ruled out any punishment.

The key point here is that though Japan clearly made no effort to actually win the game – as evidenced by their coach's comments – they did not make a conscious attempt to throw it. It is likely that a deliberate defeat would have been subject to serious sanction.

FIFA will, however, ask the International Olympic Committee to take a close look at the way the soccer events at the Games are arranged. That decision has nothing to do with the Japan incident, but there are already concerns over the amount of travel teams are asked to undertake.

Soccer is normally the only Olympic sport where games are spread across the host nation, often leading to huge travel distances and time spent in transit. Such a scenario is not to the liking of the players' club teams, several of whom have voiced fears that the additional travel increases the risk of their stars becoming injured.

With the next Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, it is proposed that the soccer matches will be shared among many of the stadiums to be used in the 2014 World Cup, also in Brazil. That plan may be scaled back though, if FIFA gets its way.

Japan's unusual decision has served to set up an intriguing quarterfinal, with the clash between the world champion and Brazil – the undoubted highlight of the tournament so far. The U.S. has a much easier route toward the semifinals, taking on New Zealand at St James's Park in Newcastle.

U.S. head coach Pia Sundhage voiced her disapproval of the Japanese plot and claimed her team would never consider such a policy.

"Absolutely not," she said. "Never ever crossed my mind. Because, I think, respect the game, respect this wonderful tournament, and respect the team. We want to win. If we have that approach to every game, I think we are in the best mindset."

DMF

You are being an apologist for their wrong doing.

What would China do if both the chinese teams had to face in first knockout itself. Will they throw the match as well?.

In Olympics, the goal of sportsmen might be medal but the goal of olympic spirit is to showcase your best of abilities and skills. So spirit of olympics trumps the goal of players and hence they are unceremoniously kicked of the game and rightly so.
olympic spirit is to showcase your best of abilities and skills to triumph,you play to win, never give up, when the athletes found out that they are in a situation in which they have to lose a match so that they can get a chance to excel their performance in the upcoming more important match, they have no choice but to lose this match, because the badminton association has created "lose to win" situation for them, they have to abide by, do you think they have reason to fail themselves? After so many years hard training and struggle, then jump in a trap voluntarily and give their goal to an opponent? The Olympic spirit is autosidism?
Yes, the athletes dispointed the spectators in the stadium, but the athlet's conntrymen are expecting them to win the final, the add a medal on the ranking table.they want to live to the expectation of their countrymen.
They make the natural chioce, all the 8 outstanding athletes from 3 countries. Here you site and air about the Olympic spirit, simply because your sportsmen are not in such a dilemma. But in my personal opinion, Indi friends better not brag about Olympic spirit, maybe the weather is too hot to take a sport in India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ok all what you say is fine.

But are you suggesting that there should be no sportsmanlike spirit?

I am sure you will be the one who will suggest a surreptitious trip of an opponent during a flat race would be all about winning and adding to the medal tally to appeal to the national spirit.

If it is all about winning, what wrong with a wee bit of doping?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
olympic spirit is to showcase your best of abilities and skills to triumph,you play to win, never give up, when the athletes found out that they are in a situation in which they have to lose a match so that they can get a chance to excel their performance in the upcoming more important match, they have no choice but to lose this match, because the badminton association has created "lose to win" situation for them, they have to abide by, do you think they have reason to fail themselves? After so many years hard training and struggle, then jump in a trap voluntarily and give their goal to an opponent? The Olympic spirit is autosidism?
This is total horse puckey. No one is going to hear such lame excuses and therefore BWF kicked out them and rightly so. You play in whatever format is given to you and the aim should always be to win not to throw away matches because you can.

Yes, the athletes dispointed the spectators in the stadium, but the athlet's conntrymen are expecting them to win the final, the add a medal on the ranking table.they want to live to the expectation of their countrymen.
They make the natural chioce, all the 8 outstanding athletes from 3 countries. Here you site and air about the Olympic spirit, simply because your sportsmen are not in such a dilemma. But in my personal opinion, Indi friends better not brag about Olympic spirit, maybe the weather is too hot to take a sport in India.
If you are not there in Olympics to win then there was no point in coming to Olympics at all. Such match fixing should not be allowed in any game, players and their countries be damned. I happy that they kicked out the Chinese team. I hope they kick out the coach as well as he is the one who might have instructed the players to lose the game.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles