Astra BVRAAM

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Good article. SFDR has a huge scope for air defence roles of India. S400 deal can't be finalized, better we should work on our own multi layered long range air defense system like S400 other then BMD. Or we can add more layers in our BMD to make it more robust and multipurpose. Technologies like SFDR and SFDscramjet will be revolutionary for the same. For tackling China, these systems are must.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Scramjet for a2a, you will then need your aircraft flying at Mach 4+ to launch the missile or need a huge booster which can boost the missile at Mach 4+ to make it a hypersonic run.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

rishivashista13

Country flag
Scramjet for a2a, you will then need your aircraft flying at Mach 4+ to launch the missile or need a huge booster which can boost the missile at Mach 4+ to make it a hypersonic run.

I was talking about air defense systems. Scramjet for long range SAM will be ideal.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

NeXoft007

Country flag

Unless you have a DMRJ (Dual Mode Ramjet) which can be launched at subsonic/ transonic speed so that subsonic combustion starts for Ramjet and once Ramjet reaches high supersonic, it can transform its intake for supersonic combustion, so that it turns into scramjet. ISRO already have DMRJ. But using a DMRJ for A2A Missile needs solid cutting edge technologies. Let's stick with Ramjet A2A missile instead for now.

indiatester

Country flag
...........................................................................................................................................

Do they ever test it against a real target? I mean Banshee is pretty slow. How would it perform against say F-16 or another Su?

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
always it is tested against drones....
only actual targets can be used ......in war ......

......................................................... .....................

indiatester

Country flag
What do you think, the speed of F-16 or Su is ? Mach 2+ :nono:
Peak speed surely is. But still, they should try with a dummy warhead and may be proximity stop.
My doubt being that it will be stupid to find out some critical deficiency when hostilities do break out and the enemies figure out about that.

Shashwat

Country flag
Do they ever test it against a real target? I mean Banshee is pretty slow. How would it perform against say F-16 or another Su?
Are you out of your mind? No country will jeopardise its assets and more importantly human capital in such foolish endeavours. For everything else, there is the computer simulation.

Or maybe, if you are willing to burn millions of dollars and your life, go ahead and write to any sane force.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
That banshee itself cruises at high subsonic speed when and is way smaller than actual aircraft. And 90 percent of fighter aircraft sortie is done in subsonic flight.

binayak95

Country flag
Are you out of your mind? No country will jeopardise its assets and more importantly human capital in such foolish endeavours. For everything else, there is the computer simulation.

Or maybe, if you are willing to burn millions of dollars and your life, go ahead and write to any sane force.
The USAF uses RF controlled F4 Phantoms and F-16s (QF-4 and QF-16) to test fire missiles against a fast, manoeuvring target. That's how they maintain the edge of their weapon systems. Maybe we could ask them to help us test the Astra?

https://theaviationist.com/2016/08/...0s-during-last-unmanned-mission-and-survives/

indiatester

Country flag

Man... I asked for a more realistic test.
Something like what @binayak95 posted.

Prashant12

Country flag
BDL signed 'Licensing Agreement for ToT' with DRDO for ASTRA Mk1, all weather beyond-visual-range-air-to air missile. Hon'ble RRM Dr Subhash Bhamre handed over Agreement in the presence of Hon'ble Defence Minister. Great support extended by Chairman- DRDO, SA to RM and PD-ASTRA

Global Defence

New threads

Articles