INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
The Russians didn't modernise and resume production of the Su33 because the Mig 29K production line had already been opened for the Indians. It had nothing to do with the 29K being superior to the Su33.

Saying the avionics suites on the J15 are inferior to russian avionics on the Mig 29K is simply being speculative. It's a well known fact that the China has surpassed russia in digital electronics and software, I mean even the JF17

And then apart from avionics and what not, the J15 is simply a much better platform in terms of aerodynamics and performance. Why do you think the Indian and Russian Navy wanted a flanker variant on their aircraft carriers? And range is NOT irrelevant my friend.

The bottom line is, ex-Varyag was actually built to be a full-length STOVL carrier rather than being a STOVL conversion.

( I sence you are moving to pissing Contest not Civilized talk )

That translates to better handling qualities than a modified "Kiev", both in terms of no of aircraft carried and flight deck operations. Borrowing a line from an Armchair General poster on the matter:

"As for the overall advantage of the Varyag:
1.) Better deck lay out for movement of planes to and from hangar
2.) Better hanger placement
3.) Larger means more deck space for take off speed"
As i said before, Read the thread again, SU-33 and its derivative are not good in Sea conditions make Operational and Maintenance cost higher, Where as a MIG-29K more or less give same advantage..

If you are so much confident abt Avionics supremacy please provide some Answer as i asked you and you failed to provide or you don't have it ..

Its embarrassing to say even " J17 " Which is entirely based on a C plus Civilian Language, Millions of codding is not needed if used MIL stander ed, And less prone to hack or jam..

Russian and Indian wanted to put a Flanker on carrier coz it can carry PJ-10 which PLAN don`t have, And yes Range is not relevant as Buddy refueling erase that..

Kiev is modified carrier for Full length operations, MIG-29K have sufficient flight deck for different type of Operations ..

Here is where you are mistaken or wanted to do so:
1. Varyag deck layout is same as any-other CV..
2. Hanger Placement ? You mean Elevators placements, In that case Vikramaditya have better..
3. Yes, If you were using MIG-29Ks but, not, SU-33 needs more space to launch so the size of flight deck is larger..

So, to the above statement and according to you shilang share common feature with other CV is a Advantage over other CV...
Make sense and cool story !

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Even if you load up the deck it can only carry 20. The hanger only holds 13 if you dump the helos, which you won't. Then you don't transit with aircraft on deck in case of bad weather.

@Armand,

That is not a official diagram of Hangers but some one idea based on photos..

This is a art work by the same person..

It is said Inside it can carry 16 MIG-29Ks, We have seen CV with Aircraft on deck in bad weathers..

Neil

Country flag
Russia Gets An Ultimatum

Senior Indian officials recently visited Russia to remind the Russians, in no uncertain terms, that the INS Vikramaditya (the former Russian Gorshkov), which is being refurbished and upgraded in a Russian shipyard, must be ready on time (March 2012) for sea trials. The Indians had cause for concern. That's because last April the first 152 Indian naval personnel arrived in Russia to begin training on the Vikramaditya. The Indians were there to learn about all the ship's systems so they can instruct the other 1,250 members of the crew. But at the same time the Indian sailors could see exactly what progress the Russians were making on getting the Vikramaditya ready for service. Apparently some of these reports were not encouraging. This led to the high level reminders. The Russians responded by promising to do whatever needed to be done to have the carrier ready in time.

This project is already four years behind schedule and $1.5 billion over the original budget. This has become a major cause of ill-will between Russia and India. This was made worse by revelations that Russian officials were bribing their Indian counterparts to help make up excuses for the delays. This was made public ten months ago when, after a year of investigating the senior naval officer in charge of the aircraft carrier Gorshkov procurement project, it was determined that the officer (commodore, equivalent to U.S. rear admiral, Sukhjinder Singh) was guilty of something and he was dismissed from the navy.

The damage, however, has already been done. Two years ago India agreed, after five years of haggling, to pay Russia an additional $1.3 billion to have the Russian aircraft carrier Gorshkov refurbished to Indian specifications. The original deal was for about a billion dollars. But once the Russians got to work things got complicated, and out of control. Indians are not happy with the cost increase. Commodore Singh was a key part of the negotiations and there were accusations that he was paid off by the Russians to insure that Russia got the best of the deal. But Singh was dismissed mainly because he was found to be having an affair with a Russian woman. There was not enough evidence to prosecute him for corruption. India, however, wanted to send a message, especially in light of how much of a mess the Gorshkov project had become.

Other Indian naval officers have already admitted that they were partially to blame for the Gorshkov fiasco. They admit that when they signed the deal in 2004 Indian engineers had not closely inspected the Gorshkov and agreed, after a cursory inspection, that many electrical and mechanical components buried within the ship's hull were serviceable. It turned out that many of those components were not good-to-go and had to be replaced, at great expense. Shortly after the contract was signed the Russians discovered that the shipyard had misplaced the blueprints for the Gorshkov and things went downhill from there.

Russia Gets An Ultimatum | idrw.org

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
And the same person said the widened hanger is incorrect.

J20!

Country flag
As i said before, Read the thread again, SU-33 and its derivative are not good in Sea conditions make Operational and Maintenance cost higher, Where as a MIG-29K more or less give same advantage..

If you are so much confident abt Avionics supremacy please provide some Answer as i asked you and you failed to provide or you don't have it ..

Its embarrassing to say even " J17 " Which is entirely based on a C plus Civilian Language, Millions of codding is not needed if used MIL stander ed, And less prone to hack or jam..

Russian and Indian wanted to put a Flanker on carrier coz it can carry PJ-10 which PLAN don`t have, And yes Range is not relevant as Buddy refueling erase that..

Kiev is modified carrier for Full length operations, MIG-29K have sufficient flight deck for different type of Operations ..

Here is where you are mistaken or wanted to do so:
1. Varyag deck layout is same as any-other CV..
2. Hanger Placement ? You mean Elevators placements, In that case Vikramaditya have better..
3. Yes, If you were using MIG-29Ks but, not, SU-33 needs more space to launch so the size of flight deck is larger..

So, to the above statement and according to you shilang share common feature with other CV is a Advantage over other CV...
Make sense and cool story !
I was hoping for a neutral conversation. Try forgetting that one carrier is Indian and the other Chinese and discuss facts, not what you wish was true.

You're saying the Su33 is not a suitable carrier borne fighter because its a derivative of a land based fighter, yet the Mig 29K is a derivative of a land based fighter. AND on top of that, both the Indian and Russian navies wanted a flanker derivative for their carriers.

What question did you ask that I cant answer? I'm confident that the J15's avionics are either on par with the Mig 29K or are superior. That's what I'm saying based on Russian and Chinese electronics and software expertise. The reference to the JF17's software codes were to illustrate that China was able to write over a million lines of code for an export fighter they have no intention of operating, which they consider a low cost alternative. Military or civilian specs are irrelevant. If they can write up millions of lines of code for the JF17, they can write multiples of that for their most advanced aircraft.

That's my point exactly! The PJ10 is heavy cruise missile. The Mig 29K cant carry it, but the Su33 can, BECAUSE IT HAS A HIGHER WEAPONS AND FUEL CARRRYING CAPACITY. And NO, buddy-buddy refueling doesn't make long range irrelevant. Utilizing buddy-buddy refueling means that half your fixed wing jets have to provide refueling to the strike group as 1 jet can only refuel 1 strike aircraft. In which case only 6-8 mig 29K's would be available for long-range strike. The J15 has longer range, and if buddy buddy refueling is available to the PLANAF, the ex-varyag's large air wing means at least a squadron of 16 jets is available for strike missions.

I was just highlighting that was built originally for STOBAR operations, whereas the KIEV class was meant for STOVL operations, thus the ex-Varyags, more conventional carrier form, thus better flight operations. It has nothing to do with dick size competitions.

1.Yes its the same as any other cv, Vikramaditya is NOT, thus its disproportionate size relative to aircraft carried and poor sortie generation. Varyag's sortie no's are set at 3 aircraft per minute, while the VKMDTA is at 2 per minute.
2. Fine, believe what you want. But ex-varyag has two large 30+ ton elevators whilst Vikramaditya has one 30 and one 20 ton elevator at the vessels rear.
3. Dont be a fanboy. Because the J15 is larger doesnt mean it needs a longer runway. It has a larger wing area and much more powerful engines than the Mig 29K. Do the math.

The bottom line is: THE EX-VARYAG IS A SUPERIOR AIRCRAFT CARRIER TO THE VIKRAMADITYA IN ALMOST EVERY WAY, FROM SORTIE GENERATION TO AIRCRAFT CARRIED. Mainly because the Kiev class was never meant to be a STOBAR carrier, its not that I'm trying to degrade the reffited gorshkov, I'm just stating facts and specs, its nothing personal. Why do you think at a whopping 45000 tons it can only carry 16 fixed wing jets, whereas the similarly sized CdeG can carry almost 40 jets, AWACS and helo's?

[h=2]Gorshkov-Vikramaditya: Aerial Complement[/h]
Ka-31 AEW
(click to view full)

Many of Gorshkov's key modifications are aircraft-related, including the new arrester gear and ski jump. New boilers and wiring are the other major components. The timelines and cost figures for delivery of the ship do not include the aircraft, however, which are bought separately.The original carrier's complement was 12 Yak-38 Forger V/STOL fighters, 12 Ka-28 helicopters, and 2 Ka-31 airborne early warning helicopters. The removal of the Gorshkov's forward missiles, addition of the ski ramp, and other modifications will improve the ship's air complement somewhat.The nature of its original design, however, means that INS Vikramaditya will still fall short of comparably-sized western counterparts like the 43,000t FNS Charles de Gaulle nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, with its 40-plane complement that leans heavily to fighter jets. For instance, the Gorshkov would be large enough to operate full naval AWACS aircraft, but it lacks a launch catapult. If rumors prove true and India does indeed buy E-2C+/E-2D Hawkeyes, therefore, they would probably operate from shore. The carrier's AEW complement, if any, is almost certain to use India's Ka-31 helicopters.Carriage ranges given for the refitted Vikramaditya seem to average 12-24 fighters and/or 4-16 of the compact Ka-28/31 helicopters; diagrams seem to suggest total stowage space for a "footprint" of no more than 15-16 MiG-29Ks, with each Kamov helicopter sporting a comparative footprint of about 0.4, and about 5-8 open footprint spots on deck.

That's toward various claims that the Vikramaditya can carry more than 16 mig 29K's

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
1. You're saying the Su33 is not a suitable carrier borne fighter because its a derivative of a land based fighter,

2. Indian and Russian navies wanted a flanker derivative for their carriers.

3. What question did you ask that I cant answer? I'm confident that the J15's avionics are either on par with the Mig 29K or are superior.

4.The reference to the JF17's software codes were to illustrate that China was able to write over a million lines of code for an export fighter they have no intention of operating, which they consider a low cost alternative.

5. That's my point exactly! The PJ10 is heavy cruise missile. The Mig 29K cant carry it, but the Su33 can, BECAUSE IT HAS A HIGHER WEAPONS AND FUEL CARRRYING CAPACITY. And NO, buddy-buddy refueling doesn't make long range irrelevant. Utilizing buddy-buddy refueling means that half your fixed wing jets have to provide refueling to the strike group as 1 jet can only refuel 1 strike aircraft

1.Yes its the same as any other cv, Vikramaditya is NOT, thus its disproportionate size relative to aircraft carried and poor sortie generation. Varyag's sortie no's are set at 3 aircraft per minute, while the VKMDTA is at 2 per minute.
2. Fine, believe what you want. But ex-varyag has two large 30+ ton elevators whilst Vikramaditya has one 30 and one 20 ton elevator at the vessels rear.
3. Dont be a fanboy. Because the J15 is larger doesnt mean it needs a longer runway. It has a larger wing area and much more powerful engines than the Mig 29K. Do the math.

The bottom line is: THE EX-VARYAG IS A SUPERIOR AIRCRAFT CARRIER TO THE VIKRAMADITYA IN ALMOST EVERY WAY, FROM SORTIE GENERATION TO AIRCRAFT CARRIED. :rofl:

Mainly because the Kiev class was never meant to be a STOBAR carrier, its not that I'm trying to degrade the reffited gorshkov, I'm just stating facts and specs, its nothing personal. Why do you think at a whopping 45000 tons it can only carry 16 fixed wing jets, whereas the similarly sized CdeG can carry almost 40 jets, AWACS and helo's?
No !

Totally incorrect, Provide link if so..

why don't turn the last page and read before commenting..

That is also done in todays school here in India, Ask any Mil Pilot abt the risk assessment of programming a mil aircraft with civilian languages, First know why Mil language are there for, than we can have this conversation going..

And Exactly where you have that info from ?, IAF does refueling with one MKI to 4 MIR-2000, Same in Navy where one MIG-29K used for fueling 3-4 other fighters, And when does PLAN got PJ-10 or KH-41 airborne types under SU-33/mkk/j11/j15 ?

A. Who is the person deduced such nonsense, Indeed Vikramaditya can launch 2 at a time, But where does the 1 min arrived and form where ?
B. So, The Mig-29k or any-other with Munition exceed 15tons ?..
C. I haven't start the Fanboyism nor i am doing any comparison aka pissing contest, I am answering your questions, J15 is large and need more runway with munition to takeoff its simple physics..

The facts are facts hard to swallow but do that no other way is around, 24 MIG-29K plus 10 Helos..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
The helo definitely needed an overhaul (or scrapped) after that storm...
Their was a debate on this not so long ago, One Ex Navy guy told this is not uncommon, Though he said the helo need overhaul..

charlyondfi

Their was a debate on this not so long ago, One Ex Navy guy told this is not uncommon, Though he said the helo need overhaul..
Exactly, Kunal, that means you only risk that when no choices. Otherwise, it's NOT reasonable to assume you can store aircraft on deck.
Taiwan get NO carrier, yet my uncle who serves in Taiwan Airforce maintenance/engineering team told me you definitely need to protect all aircraft as baby. It's NOT that they are so fragile, nevertheless they aren't flesh but steel or composite material, but SAY IF YOU ARE THE PILOT, WILL YOU BE WILLING TO FLY THOSE AIRCRAFTS AFTER THAT WAVE, unless very necessary, not to mention pilots precious their ride more than else.
Counting deck capacity for aircraft storage sounds to me really unreasonable, then.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Mikoyan MiG-29K

The Mikoyan MiG-29K (Russian: Микоян МиГ-29K, NATO reporting name: Fulcrum-D) is an all-weather carrier-based multirole fighter aircraft developed by the Mikoyan design bureau. The MiG-29K was developed in the late 1980s from MiG-29M.
Production MIG-29K differ from prototypes by features such as a multi-function radar and several new cockpit displays; the adoption of HOTAS (hands-on-throttle-and-stick) controls; the integration of RVV-AE air-to-air missiles, along with missiles for anti-ship and anti-radar operations; and several ground/strike precision-guided weapons.
MiG-29K was not ordered into production and only two prototypes were originally built as the Russian Navy preferred the Su-27K in early 1990s. The Mikoyan Design Bureau did not stop its work on the MiG-29K aircraft despite the lack of financing since 1992. The programme got a boost in the late 1990s to meet an Indian requirement for a ship-borne fighter following the purchase of a former Soviet aircraft carrier. It was first received by the Indian Navy in 2009.

Development
Origins
The MiG-29K project was initiated in the late 1970s when the Soviet Navy developed a requirement for a supersonic carrier-based fighter. As a first step to meet this requirement, the Mikoyan design bureau designed a "proof of concept" version of the MiG-29 fitted with a stronger undercarriage and a reinforced tail section with an arrestor hook, the MiG-29KVP (Korotkii Vzlet i Posadka, or "short take off and landing").The KVP first flew on 21 August 1982, and was subject to extensive trials which demonstrated it could safely operate from a ski-jump, but ideally a production aircraft needed more power and greater wing area. It was decided to base the definitive naval version on the advanced MiG-29M (Product 9.15) that was already under development, further modified with new undercarriage and folding wings of greater area, with the new model designated the MiG-29K (Korabelniy – "ship based") or Project 9-31. The MiG-29K differed considerably from the MiG-29 production model, featuring a new multi-function radar, dubbed Zhuk; a cockpit with monochrome display and use of the HOTAS (hands-on-throttle-and-stick) principle; the RVV-AE air-to-air active homing missiles; antiship and antiradar missiles; as well as air-to-ground precision-guided weapons. To protect the engine from FOD, the engine inlets were fitted with retractable grills instead of the system used by land-based MiG-29s.

A MiG-29M on display. The MiG-29M was developed into a naval version, the MiG-29K.
The MiG-29Ks first flight was performed on 23 July 1988 at Saky by test pilot Toktar Aubakirov. On 1 November 1989, on the same day as the Sukhoi Su-27K, Aubakirov executed the first carrier landing of MiG-29K on the aircraft-carrying cruiser Tbilisi (now known as Admiral Kuznetsov), the first take-off from the carrier's deck was successfully performed the same day. During 1989–1991, the MiG-29K underwent further tests aboard the Admiral Kuznetsov. The project was put on hold with the collapse of the Soviet Union, while the Russian Navy only pursued the rival Su-33. Mikoyan continued work on the MiG-29K despite the lack of funding.
During its tests aboard the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft-carrying cruiser, the aircraft had a springboard-assisted takeoff from strips 195 m and 95 m long. According to the results of the tests, the landing accuracy proved to be very high, which made it possible at a later stage to switch over to a three-cable arrester system on the Admiral Gorshkov. The landing accuracy is additionally enhanced through the employment of an autothrottle system. The takeoff characteristics allow for most flights to be possible under tropical conditions at a ship speed of 10 knots.

Revival

MiG-29K jet at Zhukovskiy LII air field
The MiG-29K program was revived in response to the decision of the Indian Navy to acquire the former Soviet Navy aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov in 2004. When Admiral Gorshkov was part of the Soviet fleet, it was a hybrid carrier/cruiser using vertical take-off (V/STOL) aircraft; thus the deck was refurbished with a take-off ramp and arrestor wires for operating MiG-29Ks. The ship's combat group is likely to include 12 MiG-29K fighters. The aircraft has an enlarged and folding wing, an arrestor hook and a corrosion-protected reinforced fuselage.
One factor favouring the MiG-29K over the Su-33 in the Indian decision was the larger size of the Su-33, which further limited the number of aircraft numbers on deck. Modifications were made to the MiG-29K for Indian requirements, including the Zhuk-ME radar, RD-33MK engine, a combat payload up to 5,500 kg, 13 hardpoints, and updated 4-channel digital fly-by-wire flight control system. It is compatible with the full range of weapons carried by the MiG-29M and MiG-29SMT. The MiG-29KUB made its maiden flight at the Zhukovsky test centre on 22 January 2007.
The problem of lack of aircraft-carrier based AWACS platform may be tackled by further development of dual-seat MiG-29KUB. It is theoretically possible to outfit the MiG-29KUB with powerful radar, and encrypted data links, to permit networking of multiple MiG-29KUB aircraft for AEW coverage. The MiG-29KUB may also be enhanced in areas such as electronic warfare and long-range interdiction.[citation needed]
[edit] Design
[edit] Overview
The MiG-29K was drastically modified from the Mikoyan MiG-29M for naval operations. The airframe and undercarriage were reinforced to withstand the stress experienced upon landing. Folding wings, an arrestor hook, and catapult attachments were added for carrier operations; the aircraft's undercarriage was also widened. The MiG-29K, unlike the early MiG-29, can both conduct aerial refueling and "buddy" refuel other aircraft.
The MiG-29K has two widely-spaced RD-33MKs. The early prototypes were fitted with two RD-33K turbofan engines, each with afterburner thrust of 86.3 kN (19,800 lb) and a possible take-off thrust of 92.2 kN (20,723 lbf) for shipborne operations. The RD-33MK engine features 7% higher power over the base RD-33, enabled by the usage of improved materials for the turbine blades. In 2011, Russian sources have criticised the development process of the RD-33, noting a "crucial" need for modernization.
Internal fuel was increased from 3,340 kg to 4,560 kg, to give a combat radius of 850 km (531 mi). The range can be increased to 3,000 kilometers with 3 underwing fuel drop tanks. The maximum weight of the aircraft grew from 19.5 to 22.4 t, to allow for increased payloads. The MiG-29KUB two-seat fighter, intended for pilot training, can also conduct combat missions identical to the single-seat fighter.
Cockpit and avionics

Comparisons between the Zhuk-ME (left) and Zhuk-AE (right)
The aircraft is equipped with three multifunctional color liquid-crystal displays (seven LCDs on the MiG-29KUB), a four-channel digital fly-by-wire flight control system, passive anti-radar missile homing system, Sigma-95 GPS receiver, TopOwl helmet-mounted targeting system and electronic countermeasures (ECM). Additionally, an onboard oxygen generating system eliminates the need for heavy oxygen canisters. The types of combat missions undertaken by the MiG-29K can be increased by adding optronic/infrared imaging reconnaissance pods.
The Zhuk-ME is a development of the N010 Zhuk radar, introducing functions such as terrain mapping and following. The radar, weighing 220 kilograms (490 lb), features improved signal processing and a detection range of up to 120 km vs a 5 m2 RCS target for the export variant. In the air targeting mode, up to 10 targets can be tracked and 4 targets engaged simontaneously. In air to surface mode the radar can detect a tank from up to 25 kilometres (16 mi) away and a bridge from 120 kilometres (75 mi) away, a naval destroyer could be detected up to 300 kilometres (190 mi) away, while up to two surface targets can be tracked at once. The radar has a scanning area of +/- 85 degrees in azimuth and +56/-40 in elevation.
The Zhuk-AE radar was developed with modular approach, enabling upgrade of existing Zhuk ME radars deployed in MiG-29 platforms into the active electronic scanned array (AESA) Zhuk-AE standard. India is already operating the BAR phased array radar on its Su-30MKI and has specified AESA as a critical element of the MRCA platform. The Mig-29K can be outfitted with an IRST system integrated with both optical and laser systems. It can provide targeting solutions for ground and air targets at up to 15 km, with all-round 360 degree coverage. The IRST can also provide detailed trajectories of missiles at closer ranges.
Weapons and defensive capabilities

A MiG-29K and its armaments at MAKS Airshow.The folded wings maximise the limited space available on an aircraft carrier.
MiG-29K has a GSh-30-1 30 mm cannon in the port wing root. It has provisions for laser-guided and electro-optical bombs, as well as air-to-surface missiles like Kh-25ML/25MP, Kh-29T, Kh-31G/31A, Kh-35U, and rockets. Kh-31P passive radar seeker missiles are used as anti-radiation missiles. Kh-35, Kh-31A antiship missiles are for anti-ship roles; for aerial combat air-to-air missile like RVV-AE, R-27ER/ET and R-73E are fitted. The aircraft is also adaptable to various foreign weapons. In September 2011, India's Comptroller and Auditor-General criticised the Indian Navy's introduction of the MiG-29K, noting the aircraft's armaments were not contracted for despite aircraft deliveries having started over a year before, and this has adversely affected aircraft operations.
The MiG-29K has a combination of low-observable technology, advanced electronic-warfare capabilities, reduced ballistic vulnerability, and standoff weapons to enhance the fighter's survivability. According to Mikoyan, extensive use of radar-absorbent materials reduce the MiG-29K's radar signature 4–5 times over the basic MiG-29. The RD-33MK turbofan engine was also engineered to reduce infrared and optical visibility.

Mikoyan MiG-29K - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
MiG-29K Carrier-Based Multirole Fighter Aircraft, Russian Federation

Key Data

MiG-29K is an all-weather carrier-based multirole fighter aircraft being produced by Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG (RAC MiG). The aircraft is also offered in a two-seat operational trainer variation known as the MiG-29KUB.

The MiG-29K/KUB aircraft are designed to operate from aircraft-carriers with a minimum displacement of 28,000t and airfields.

The aircraft has a length of 17.3m, height of 4.4m and a wingspan of 11.9m. The maximum take-off weight is 24,500kg.
Orders and deliveries of the Russian MiG-29K
"MiG-29K is an all-weather carrier-based multirole fighter aircraft being produced by Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG (RAC MiG)."

In January 2004, India placed an order for 12 MiG-29K single-seat and four MiG-29KUB two-seat fighters. Deliveries of the aircraft began in December 2009. Six aircraft were delivered by the end of 2010. The MiG-29K entered operational service with Indian Navy in February 2010.

In March 2010, India signed a $1.5bn contract with Russia for an additional 29 MiG-29Ks. Deliveries are expected to start in 2012.

In May 2011, five MiG-29K / KUBs and a flight simulator were delivered to the Indian Navy under the first contract, with further deliveries planned through 2011. The fighters will be based on the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya. The Vikramaditya is expected to carry up to 24 MiG-29K/KUB fighters. The Vikrant Class future indigenous aircraft carrier currently being built by India will also accommodate the MiG-29K/KUB aircraft.

The Russian Navy ordered 24 MiG-29Ks in late 2009 for Kuznetsov Class heavy aircraft carrying cruiser. Deliveries of the MiG-29K for the Russian Navy began in 2010.

On 23 June 2011, a MiG-29KUB of the Indian Navy crashed during a flight test in Astrakhan region, Russia. The crash, which occurred due to pilot's error, killed both the pilots on board. In August 2011, RAC MiG however announced the deliveries will be made as per the schedule.
MiG-29K development history

The MiG-29K project was initiated in the late 1970s to meet the requirements of the Soviet Navy for a supersonic carrier-based fighter. The first proof of concept version, MiG-29KVP, was developed based on the MiG-29M.

The MiG-29KVP completed its maiden flight in August 1982. The aircraft with new undercarriage and folding wings of greater area, differed from the MiG-29 production model.

The first MiG-29K took to the skies on 23 July 1988. The aircraft performed its first carrier landing on the aircraft-carrying cruiser Tbilisi (now Admiral Kuznetsov) on 1 November 1989. The project was halted due to the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Mikoyan continued the development and struggled with funding issues until it received orders from India. The MiG-29KUB aircraft completed its first flight in January 2007.
MiG-29K design features

The MiG-29K features a strengthened airframe and undercarriage suitable for landing on aircraft carriers. The airframe is made of about 15% composite materials. The aircraft is fitted with folding wings, arrestor hook and a catapult for carrier operations. The radar signature of the aircraft is reduced by four to five times over the basic MiG-29.

The MiG-29K is fitted with more powerful RD-33MK engines, replacing the RD-33K turbofan engines used in the early prototypes. The flight hours of the fighter are doubled, but the flight hour cost is reduced by about 2.5 times. The aircraft can operate without overhaul.

The single and double seat variations feature the same airborne equipment and weapons. The MiG-29KUB two-seat fighter is primarily intended for pilot training, but can also conduct combat missions similar to the single-seat fighter.

The glass cockpit of the MiG-29K aircraft accommodates one pilot. It is equipped with three multifunctional colour LCDs, a digital fly-by-wire flight control system and TopOwl helmet-mounted targeting system.
MiG-29K avionics systems

The airborne avionics based on open architecture are classified under MIL-STD-1553B standard. The open architecture allows the installation of new equipment and weapons according to customer requirements.

The fighter has multirole, multimode Zhuk-ME pulse doppler radar from Fazotron-NIIP Corporation. The radar with the slot array has wider scanning angle and longer target detection range. Zhuk-ME can track up to ten air targets while engaging four targets simultaneously.

The MiG-29K/KUB fighters have multichannel infra-red search and track (IRST) system with target designation system. The aircraft can also be installed with IR and laser sighting devices for ground targets illumination.
Weapon systems on the Russian-built MiG-29K carrier-based multirole fighter

MiG-29K is armed with RVV-AE and R-73E air-to-air missiles, Kh-31A and Kh-35E anti-ship missiles and Kh-31P anti-radar missiles. Other armaments include guided aerial bombs, rockets and aerial bombs.
"In January 2004, India placed an order for 12 MiG-29K single-seat and four MiG-29KUB two-seat fighters."

The aircraft is mounted with a 30mm GSh-30-1 cannon with 100 rounds. A wide range of weapons can be added upon the request of the customer.

MiG-29K/KUB is the only ship-borne fighter in the world to fire Kh-31A supersonic anti-ship missiles resistant to air-defence.

The MiG-29K is powered by two RD-33MK engines equipped with smokeless combustion chamber and new full authority digital engine control (FADEC) system.

The power plant provides a ferry range of 2,000km. The range can be increased to 3,000km with three underwing fuel drop tanks.

MiG-29K Carrier-Based Multirole Fighter Aircraft - Naval Technology

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Exactly, Kunal, that means you only risk that when no choices. Otherwise, it's NOT reasonable to assume you can store aircraft on deck.
Taiwan get NO carrier, yet my uncle who serves in Taiwan Airforce maintenance/engineering team told me you definitely need to protect all aircraft as baby. It's NOT that they are so fragile, nevertheless they aren't flesh but steel or composite material, but SAY IF YOU ARE THE PILOT, WILL YOU BE WILLING TO FLY THOSE AIRCRAFTS AFTER THAT WAVE, unless very necessary, not to mention pilots precious their ride more than else.
Counting deck capacity for aircraft storage sounds to me really unreasonable, then.
In combat duties, Aircraft carrier carry full load of Aircrafts on board, In the mean time if the Ship is hit by a storm that is unavoidable in mid sea, One have to continue, But same thing is not applicable in Peace patrols and Friendly visits, Virrat is mostly seen with 5-6 harrier on deck rest below deck hangers, Russian Carrier off coast Scotland seen with no Aircraft on board coz all are inside hangers, But during war, Aircraft are also tied over deck, During Falkland war Brit carriers always kept harriers on deck also below deck, Same was during WW2 over Pacific by both sides..

p2prada

Like the carriers of IN, they are prestige and power projection tools, particularly useful in peace time on humanitarian missions.
Hardly true. IN has always maneuvered centered around a CBG since the 1961 liberation of Goa. In 1971 IN had moved the CBG to the Bay of Bengal to bomb PA and als in order to challenge the USS Enterprise which at the time was the most powerful American warship. CBG is Carrier Battle Group.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Shenyang J-15

The Shenyang J-15 (Chinese: æ­¼-15) is a carrier-based fighter aircraft in development by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation and the 601 Institute for the PLAN's future aircraft carriers. Rumors initially claimed the aircraft was to be a semi-stealth variant, yet later reports indicate the aircraft is based on the Russian-designed Sukhoi Su-33 and is fitted with domestically produced radars and weapons. An unfinished Su-33 prototype, the T-10K-3,was acquired from Ukraine sometime in 2001 and is said to have been studied extensively, with development on the J-15 beginning immediately afterward. While the J-15 appears to be structurally based on the Su-33, it features avionics from the J-11B program.
Contents
Design and development
Russian military experts have downplayed any significant competition from the J-15 in the global arms market, with Col. Igor Korotchenko of the Defense Ministry stating in early June 2010, "The Chinese J-15 clone is unlikely to achieve the same performance characteristics of the Russian Su-33 carrier-based fighter, and I do not rule out the possibility that China could return to negotiations with Russia on the purchase of a substantial batch of Su-33s." China has actively sought to purchase Su-33s from Russia on numerous occasions—an unsuccessful offer was made as late as March 2009—but negotiations collapsed in 2006 after it was discovered that China had developed a modified version of the Sukhoi Su-27SK designated the Shenyang J-11B, in violation of intellectual property agreements.
The first J-15 prototype is believed to have performed its maiden flight on August 31, 2009, powered by Russian-supplied AL-31 turbofan engines. Video and still images of the flight were released in July 2010, showing the same basic airframe design as the Su-33. In July 2011, it was reported FWS-10H turbofan engine was chosen for J-15 fighter, which has takeoff thrust increased to 12,800 kg, comparing FWS-10 turbofan's 12,500 kg. Other improvements were also made to make it better suited to carrier-based fighter's requirement.
On May 6, 2010, the aircraft conducted its first takeoff from a simulated ski-jump.
The J-15 is reported to use different avionics and systems than the Su-33, and uses Chinese-developed technologies.
Some analysts believe the J-15 likely possesses superior aerodynamic capabilities to all fighter aircraft operated by regional militaries with the exception of the F-22. The J-15 is also believed to possess a 10% superior thrust to weight ratio and a 25% lower wing loading than the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.
Latest reports suggest that China has developed an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, which could be installed upon the new fighter, and thrust vectoring as well. A dark color radar dome indicates that the first J-15 prototype has a radar different from the one of Su-27SK. Chinese officials commented that the J-15 could match the performance of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and the Rafale M naval fighters.

Shenyang J-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Articles