INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

sob

Mod
Country flag
re: IAC-I: Will be delayed by 3 yrs

Cochin with it's famous work culture and organised unions was always a tough selection to make for the first indigenous AC of the IN.

Was the selection of the shipyard had anything to do with the Raksha Mantri's home state.

p2prada

A definite proof of why IN did not hesitate in paying extra for the Gorky and why IN defended Gorky's acquisition irrespective of the price hike.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Fit the facts to alternate conclusions. :rolleyes:

arya

Country flag

haa god i wish we can do something , we want to catch china by these thing

Blackwater

is this something new ????? indians r known for this:taunt::taunt:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Start the IAC-II right now in another shipyard, or that too will be delayed.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Re: India's aircraft carrier ambitions take a dive

But it is around sixty thousand tons, however Nehruvian Jahaj Rani Nigam (shipping Corporation of India) has been in existence for 60 years ? I agree with you .
This report is more descriptive.
India's project to build a seaborne aircraft carrier of its own has been delayed by two years, raising questions on the Indian Navy's ambition to emerge as a dominant player in the Indian Ocean region. China is also keen to establish itself in this area.

About two weeks ago, the US had announced its new military policy to station more naval assets, including six aircraft carriers, in the Asia-Pacific region.

The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited, is facing delay in the installation of gearboxes for the four powerful engines of the 40,000-tonne warship. As per estimates arrived at by the apex committee of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) last month, the warship can now be launched by the end of this year. This will be almost two years behind its original launch deadline:dude: of October 2010.

Once the hull of the warship is launched at the sea, the outfitting is likely to take another four years, hence the warship is expected to be delivered to the Navy only by 2016, which is two years behind its original schedule. Defence Minister AK Antony had laid its keel in February 2009.

In January this year, the under-construction ship was taken out of the dry dock and stationed in the waters without some of the equipment that should have been in place.

Sources said one of the gearboxes had been fitted while another one arrived at the yard a few weeks ago. To get it fitted, the ship will have to be taken back to the dry dock. An Indo-German collaboration that supplied gearboxes for the 5,000-tonne stealth warship, INS Shivalik, was chosen in this case also. The aircraft carrier is almost 10 times bigger. The first lot of gearboxes provided by the company was unacceptable and had to be designed afresh.

The contract was to have around 18,000 tonne of the warship ready at the time of the launch, but it is still short by around 4,000 tonne, sources said. The MoD and the Navy have conveyed their displeasure to the shipyard and asked it to get the warship back to the dry dock and simultaneously continue with other works till the gearbox issue is sorted out.

The MoD had allocated Rs 230 crore for the modernisation of the shipyard. Since a modular-style construction has been adopted, it is possible to work on other equipment at another site.

The primary reason for the delay is the highly complex nature of the warship that India is attempting along with its simultaneous efforts to localise production. India is the fifth country attempting to make such a warship, which will have fighter aircraft stationed at its deck. So far, only the USA, Russia, the UK and France have produced such warships. China is re-fitting the one that it purchased from Ukraine after the USSR broke up.

Strategically, this delay will affect the Indian ambition to have two aircraft carriers in its Naval fleet. At present, India has only one, the INS Viraat, which after a life extension, is slated to retire in 2015. It is 50-year-old and the fighter aircraft on its deck, the Sea Harriers, are no more produced now. The second aircraft carrier, the Russian-origin Admiral Gorshkov, is undergoing sea-trials in Russia and is set to join the Indian fleet early next year under its new name, the INS Vikramaditya. In case the IAC is not delivered till 2015 - which is unlikely as per the present status - the Navy will be left with only one aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya.
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Nation

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Seems like one of the two gearbox have been fitted while the other one have arrived now (most probably the redesigned gearbox that was rejected on first attempt), and the hull would require a dry docking to fit it after which the real launch of the ship would commence, note that the launch ceremony of the partial launch of the ship had happened in a low profile ceremony raising doubts upon the development. I think after both the gearbox get fitted the original launch ceremony will commence after which works on post launch upon the ship will begin, not sure if some works would have been performed in advance to compensate the delay though.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This report is more descriptive.

The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC), being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited, is facing delay in the installation of gearboxes for the four powerful engines of the 40,000-tonne warship. As per estimates arrived at by the apex committee of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) last month, the warship can now be launched by the end of this year. This will be almost two years behind its original launch deadline of October 2010..
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Nation

Koovie

Seriosly, did ANY INDIAN here expected that we would finish the ship on the deadline???????????ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

The specifications that the carrier was built were incorrect. The generators don't line up and the gearboxes don't accommodate the length of the shafts. Why is the hull rusting in harbour when she should be in drydock getting the proper dimensions?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

The specifications that the carrier was built were incorrect. The generators don't line up and the gearboxes don't accommodate the length of the shafts. Why is the hull rusting in harbour when she should be in drydock getting the proper dimensions?
maybe lack of enough dry dock facility :frusty:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

maybe lack of enough dry dock facility :frusty:
They kicked her out to work on a commercial bulk carrier... apparently that is more important than IAC. :tsk:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

The delay is due to the gears, and probably other components.

The gears are supplied by Elecon Engineering Company Limited, a company founded in Mumbai and Headquartered in Gujarat.

Cochin Shipyard has actually completed its part of the work on time, and the delay is due to Elecon. Right wing nutjobs, true to their typical ignorance, are blaming Trade Unions and Left ruled states. In this particular case, Cochin Shipyard in a Left Bastion has proven to be more efficient than Elecon from a Right Bastion.

Kerala FTW! :thumb:

Source: Elecon to supply gears for India's first aircraft carrier
It isn't Elecon's fault that they were issued inaccurate specifications for shaft length. Cochin design messed up the alignment for the generators too.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

"The components are manufactured at the company's facility in Vallabh Vidyanagar near Anand and then sent to Germany for testing required quality standards,"
Hmm this explains why the gearbox are arriving late, I bet for the lack of individual responsibility, the gearbox had been sent to Germany in a slow ship instead of being airlifted considering the delay ( considering the possibility of it being able to be airlifted ).

As Indian defence industries are well known for their delay making, government should take initiative to design the next gearbox for IAC-II right from now, but unfortunately it will have to wait till IAC-II budget is sanctioned :dude:

pmaitra

It isn't Elecon's fault that they were issued inaccurate specifications for shaft length. Cochin design messed up the alignment for the generators too.
No, the problem is Elecon tied up with Renk AG of Germany, and they both screwed up big time.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

No, the problem is Elecon tied up with Renk AG of Germany, and they both screwed up big time.
Renk is only supposed to test them for safety/quality assurance, not proper measurements for something they don't look at.

pmaitra

Hmm this explains why the gearbox are arriving late, I bet for the lack of individual responsibility, the gearbox had been sent to Germany in a slow ship instead of being airlifted considering the delay ( considering the possibility of it being able to be airlifted ).

As Indian defence industries are well known for their delay making, government should take initiative to design the next gearbox for IAC-II right from now, but unfortunately it will have to wait till IAC-II budget is sanctioned :dude:
Of course it can be airlifted. If Space Shuttles can be airlifted, why not the gearbox (rhetorical)? I have no problem if they needed more time, but I have a problem with them not being able to estimate the time, especially for Renk AG, which is involved in such projects big time. If they have made a mistake in their estimations on time required, they have to own up to it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles