INS Chakra/Akula II

bhramos

Country flag

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
half thanks for giving info, but you need to measure it through sea, as the boat comes at a speed of 15-20 knots it takes 30-45days[ may be]
as it takes a kilo class sub to travel 3-4+ days from Vizag to Mumbai.. [ Approx] . but it would have reduced 1 day if it bypasses Srilanka...
well i tried three times to with sea route specially avoiding China coast, but the measurement tool did not work correctly for 4 points so finally i just measured the distance. it is above 7000 km that is what i can tell you.

JAISWAL

N-powered attack sub to arrive by Jan 31

N-powered attack sub to arrive by Jan 31 | idrw.org
++

India's first nuclear-powered attack submarine is expected to reach Visakhapatnam by the end of this month after final test trials in Russian waters. A sophisticated vessel of the Akula class, the sub, bearing the name Nerpa in the Russian Navy, has been leased to the Indian Navy initially for a period of 10 years. It is likely to be renamed INS Chakra at its commissioning programme to be held shortly.
The lease will cost the Indian government an estimated 920 million US dollars. Nerpa was commissioned into the Russian Navy in Dec-2009. After refitting it to meet India's needs, the Russian Navy trained a team of Indian naval officers on it in early 2010 and handed it over to its Indian counterpart on Dec. 30.
As per an earlier schedule, the submarine was expected to join the Indian Navy in late 2011 but this was delayed by an accident on the submarine, Indian Navy sources told Express.
Though a dispute arose between India and Russia consequent to the accident, they resolved that the agreement will hold good and the transfer will be implemented as per schedule. "Chakra will in all likelihood be commissioned into the Indian Navy in the first week of Feb.
"This will make India the sixth nation in the world to have a nuclear-powered attack submarine,"
sources said.
The submarine has a dual hull and sails at a speed of 10 knots on surface waters with a maximum speed of 30 knots under water, sources said.

JAISWAL

N-powered attack sub to arrive by Jan 31

N-powered attack sub to arrive by Jan 31 | idrw.org
++

India's first nuclear-powered attack submarine is expected to reach Visakhapatnam by the end of this month after final test trials in Russian waters. A sophisticated vessel of the Akula class, the sub, bearing the name Nerpa in the Russian Navy, has been leased to the Indian Navy initially for a period of 10 years. It is likely to be renamed INS Chakra at its commissioning programme to be held shortly.
The lease will cost the Indian government an estimated 920 million US dollars. Nerpa was commissioned into the Russian Navy in Dec-2009. After refitting it to meet India's needs, the Russian Navy trained a team of Indian naval officers on it in early 2010 and handed it over to its Indian counterpart on Dec. 30.
As per an earlier schedule, the submarine was expected to join the Indian Navy in late 2011 but this was delayed by an accident on the submarine, Indian Navy sources told Express.
Though a dispute arose between India and Russia consequent to the accident, they resolved that the agreement will hold good and the transfer will be implemented as per schedule. "Chakra will in all likelihood be commissioned into the Indian Navy in the first week of Feb.
"This will make India the sixth nation in the world to have a nuclear-powered attack submarine,"
sources said.
The submarine has a dual hull and sails at a speed of 10 knots on surface waters with a maximum speed of 30 knots under water, sources said.

arya

Country flag
@kunal what type of weapons we can provide on that

is our p8i capable to detect and counter ins chakra , if yes then cant china do the same thing

pls show some light

bharadwaj

@kunal what type of weapons we can provide on that

is our p8i capable to detect and counter ins chakra , if yes then cant china do the same thing

pls show some light
Not Kunal sir,but I'll try to shed some light on this.
Detection:
Finding a Submarine in vast water bodies is like finding a needle in a Haystack.
The P-8I is good but it cannot detect a submarine *just like that*.
These subs are state of the art Russian designs which minimises it's SONAR footprint.
And unlike MPA's that need to be refueled every few hours or be sent for maintainance checks after every long sortie,these Nuke hunter-Killer subs can travel for months before they need to be replenished with groceries(remember:these subs do not need to be refueled in a very long time)
Destroying:
This is no pushover job either as the submarines will have countermeasures against the air dropped torpedos.
Just my 2 paisa worth.

arya

Country flag
Not Kunal sir,but I'll try to shed some light on this.
Detection:
Finding a Submarine in vast water bodies is like finding a needle in a Haystack.
The P-8I is good but it cannot detect a submarine *just like that*.
These subs are state of the art Russian designs which minimises it's SONAR footprint.
And unlike MPA's that need to be refueled every few hours or be sent for maintainance checks after every long sortie,these Nuke hunter-Killer subs can travel for months before they need to be replenished with groceries(remember:these subs do not need to be refueled in a very long time)
Destroying:
This is no pushover job either as the submarines will have countermeasures against the air dropped torpedos.
Just my 2 paisa worth.
well thanks but pls tell me is china capable to detect and take some action in current time . what type of missile we can deploy on that

bhramos

Country flag
well thanks but pls tell me is china capable to detect and take some action in current time . what type of missile we can deploy on that
only Klub-N AShM with a range of 200km are deployed on this Sub, which can be fired from Torpedo tubes, or even Brahmos or any other missiles which can be fired from Torpedo Tube can be deployed....

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Brahmos won't fit in torpedo tubes AFAIK.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
only Klub-N AShM with a range of 200km are deployed on this Sub, which can be fired from Torpedo tubes, or even Brahmos or any other missiles which can be fired from Torpedo Tube can be deployed....
can you confirm the range i heard 300 km.

bharadwaj

It comes with the Klub S(S=Submarines) not the Klub N(For surface vessels).
The range for the supersonic variant(3M54E) is 220KM and that for the Sub-Sonic variant(3M54E2) is 300KM.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles