Indian MBRLS Pinaka Thread

karn

Country flag
This one 90km version . 4 rockets can be seen .

Yeah the question is why .. the extended range /guided versions are hardly larger than the Older version. Is it a case of too many expensive missiles on a single truck ?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Yeah the question is why .. the extended range /guided versions are hardly larger than the Older version. Is it a case of too many expensive missiles on a single truck ?
I think its because of the fins. Not because of the missiles being too expensive. In the unguided version without the fins, the rockets fit snugly in the tube and tube in the pod. With fins, something had to give.

AnantS

Country flag
The fins at the rear fold. Ones in front do not. Besides, I don't see any other reason they would reduce number of rockets per pod since it leads to a marginal reduction in operational capability.
Also they,seem to be scale model, we cant rwally percieve dimension difference

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
ErrView attachment 173679

The fins don't look that different to me.
The fins at the rear fold. Ones in front do not. Besides, I don't see any other reason they would reduce number of rockets per pod since it leads to a marginal reduction in operational capability.
Actually now that I look closely, the rear fins in guided rocket look different. If they are articulated, then they also likely don't fold.
While the fins on the unguided rockets do fold.

Now the difference appears stark.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Actually now that I look closely, the rear fins in guided rocket look different. If they are articulated, then they also likely don't fold.
While the fins on the unguided rockets do fold.

Now the difference appears stark.
Nope, they do fold, just check the tech focus on pinaka. If gmlrs can fit in the same pod, why can't pinaka? Only drdo can tell that, most likely it has to do with target transfer interface to rockets within the pod or something.

Country flag

thebakofbakchod

Honestly not sure why they are buying pinakas. They already had soviet era rockets that are quite similar to the original Pinakas. What they need are air defence systems to shoot down drones, their own drones and a comprehensive EW system. These pinakas will also be sitting ducks if they cant control their own airspace

Tiwariji

Country flag
Honestly not sure why they are buying pinakas. They already had soviet era rockets that are quite similar to the original Pinakas. What they need are air defence systems to shoot down drones, their own drones and a comprehensive EW system. These pinakas will also be sitting ducks if they cant control their own airspace
Dont know much abt future plans of Armenian regarding airdefence or what they have now . But this mbrl vs attack drone need to stop . Apple and orange . Both have their uses . Difference is Attack drone can take video of every single blast from truck to bike and circulate in social media . Mbrls can destroy a entire airbase without much advertisement .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles