Indian Martian exploration program

pmaitra

Re: Chinese Newspaper on ISRO Mars mission

the article is quite neutral and objective, i doubt you would see that in western media.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
This article from Deutsche Welle is pretty neutral and objective as well. Only UK based newspapers tend to betray their resentment at India's progress.

Waffen SS

This article from Deutsche Welle is pretty neutral and objective as well. Only UK based newspapers tend to betray their resentment at India's progress.
After all British still cant forget they no longer own India. :truestory::gtfo:

A plunging currency, ailing economy and the state's seeming inability to deliver basic services have led many Indians to question whether their nation is quite as close to becoming a global superpower as it seemed in the heady years of the last decade when economic growth pushed the 10%. For a government beset by charges of corruption and mismanagement, the Mars mission is one way to repair its battered image. It was announced in the week more than 600 million people were hit by the world's worst power cut.
ISRO to launch India's first spacecraft to Mars | World news | The Guardian

Just read this and then compare the German news paper's article, Germans are way better than British.

To British, hey we dont give damn on your country's internal matter why the hell and who the hell are you to say us whatever to do or not? Mind your own freaking business.:lol::lol::mad::mad2:

Specially and in addition and more importantly it is unacceptable of a country's "concern"(?) about India's poor men when that country themselves are responsible for poverty of India, death of Millions of Indian people from Famine as well as tremendous wealth plunder. So dont play fool with us, you are not Ganga jal or dhoa tulsi pata.:tsk::tsk:

Last edited:

Waffen SS

I am very happy and proud that my country managed to send spaceship to Mars. Despite many difficulties we achieved. If NASA's Indian scientists work here then ISRO would be more powerful. We should focus more on Space research, btw I want India also should start research about UFO's and Aliens.

Jai Ho.:)

:india::india::salute::salute::hail::hail:

But it is just beginning, we have a long way to go.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag

may be but slapping on the back instead of patting on the back is out of the world :rofl:
i did not notice that until you pointed it out, they could have hired someone more professional.

kseeker

Retired
Why Mars, and why now? - The Times of India

SRIHARIKOTA: Before India, five nations have launched Mars missions. So, is India trying to be an also-ran? Why is India trying to boldly go where many have gone before? The answers lie in India's rightful ambitions to remain in the select league of space-faring nations, mankind's unending quest for the unknown, and a bit of business.

When uncertainty fuels curiosity

Just because the previous Mars missions did not find anything conclusive about methane or water or other indicators of life doesn't mean that the Indian mission may not find any. Critics had put forth a similar argument when India was preparing for Chandrayaan-1, but the moon mission found something even men who walked on moon could not: moisture in the polar region of moon.

The same logic works here. If the Indian mission finds methane or new patterns of deuterium that suggest early presence of water, it would change the way earthlings see Mars and other planets. "Some say why spend Rs 460 crore on this mission. Such simple economics don't work here. You never know if we may find something that's worth much more than that figure," says Isro chairman K Radhakrishnan.

Uncertainty, as much as curiosity, has been at the core of every scientific exploration. Isro satellites programme director Mylswamy Annadurai calls the Mars orbiter mission a logical progression of the moon mission. "We are relaxed and confident, but then anxiety is a human trait. People who ask what we are going to fi nd would understand that not finding something is also a fi nding, a discovery that something is not there," he said.

Previous missions and groundbased calculations have found methane in Martian atmosphere, but none have been able to conclude if they definitely indicated early life. This is because methane could be of geological as well as biological origin. Whatever the source, finding methane — which one of the five scientific instruments on board the Mars orbiter would try — would add considerably to research on the red planet. The Lyman alpha photometer, meanwhile, would be looking for abundance of deuterium and hydrogen in the Martian upper atmosphere, which are indicators of early possible existence of water.

A point to prove

Will the Mars mission do all this? Nobody knows for sure. The Isro chairman is not apologetic when he says this mission is 85% a technology demonstration and the rest scientific quest. This means that India has to demonstrate — however late it is — its interplanetary mission capabilities to retain its place in the spacefarers' club.

"This is our first step in the field," says Radhakrishnan. "We have to take this step before bigger steps." He adds that only 21 of the 51 missions by the US and Russia/USSR have been successful. "That speaks of how complex the mission is. Getting the orbiter to go around the Mars itself would be a mark of success." Isro is confident of remaining in Mars orbit for about five months.

Money matters

Such missions boost Isro's capabilities and credibility so much so that more nations turn to India for their space missions and collaborations. A successful — or even attempted — Mars mission will boost Isro's image, and Antrix Corporation, the commercial arm of Isro, can well be a money-spinner.

kseeker

Retired
To all folks who have subscribed to this thread...

My apologies, if my questions have tripped you off ! I wanted to look at both Pro's and Con's of this Mars mission hence, I had a raised few questions and replied in a way which most of you took it as offensive !

I also admire that, except one single person, all of you had kept your cool and responded well in a humane manner, thanks for that :)
@pmaitra, thanks for cleaning up the inappropriate posts.

Let the saga continue... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Beijing called for "joint efforts" to ensure peace in outer space.
How does the Mar Mission militarise the outer space?

I have not understood this, what appears to be an inane, statement.

balai_c

Space exploration now is what long continental sea voyages were in the days of yore, or early days of polar explorations. These are but baby steps to conquer the final frontier, the ultimate destination for all humans in the future. The pioneers , the pathfinders will rule the roost, much like early European ocean explorers paved way to colonialism. If we do not invest today, we, in the future might have to fight to live on mars or other extra solar planets.

The greatest achievement of this voyage(if successful) would be mastering the art of exploiting and manipulating the gravitational field of large celestial objects to launch a slingshot trajectory to distant destinations, and other complicated tasks like achieving parking orbit in mars, and eventually inserting a probe on the planet. However probably the most audacious and difficult task would be maintaining deep space communication between the craft and the control station.

tramp

No hard feelings bro. Wish you well.

To all folks who have subscribed to this thread...

My apologies, if my questions have tripped you off ! I wanted to look at both Pro's and Con's of this Mars mission hence, I had a raised few questions and replied in a way which most of you took it as offensive !

I also admire that, except one single person, all of you had kept your cool and responded well in a humane manner, thanks for that :)
@pmaitra, thanks for cleaning up the inappropriate posts.

Let the saga continue... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Compersion

Country flag

with reference to the british and the comments earlier.

one important reason for their reaction is that they dont like to give money to people that dont need it. its a psyche that is developing and maturing in recent years due to the exploitation of their own welfare system by british citizens and the austerity movement brought on in recent times. the british dont like to see their money be used without good reason.

the british look at the indian economy and isro and ask why does such a country need aid. someone reminds them that there is still a lot of work to be done (poverty is still widespread).

with the british you will see mood swings on india for example one day they will say stop aid to india (because they dont need it) and next day they will say india has poverty. its due to the development of india and that path it is taking. i will not be surprised in a few years the british stop aid and instead talk about collaboration with ISRO and their space agency.

its got nothing to do with british policy and relationship with india (that is strong). they have done this same pathway with other countries.

what i did not like was what the former ISRO chairman said: He did a Rahul G. Timing was wrong ...

happy

How does the Mar Mission militarise the outer space?

I have not understood this, what appears to be an inane, statement.
Totally agree sir. At least until we get warp technology there is no threat of militarization of outer space.

Maybe the chinese are afraid that, may be a new council for outer space will be formed on the lines of UNSC and India might become a permanent member !!!!! :laugh:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

As far as the British 'aid' to India, Pranab Mukherjee, when he was the Finance Minister had said that India does not require that aid.

Now, if they still want to act as if they have money to squander, it is their problem and not India's.

tramp

Yep, Brits still hurting from Berlusconi comment that Britain is no longer great to be called Great Britain, nor is it united to be called United Kingdom!!

We can understand the heartburn of a people who have been reduced to the status of US bulldog.

^^ I say, to be fair to the Chinese, they aren't really "butthurt". Even this article does not show signs of "butthurt".

That honour goes to the Bri-turds. The most butthurt nation of the 21st century - Bri-turdistan.

happy

For all those who question whether India should really spend on the Mars Mission, here are a few pointers in this article which show the technological prowess of ISRO and the various costs incurred.

India's successful Mangalyaan launch is as much a financial accomplishment as a technical milestone. The entire Mars mission has cost the Indian Space Research Organisation a mere around Rs. 450 crore and took 15 months to put together.

Much of the Martian price tag is for ground stations and relay upgrades that will be used for other Isro projects. The actual satellite costs a mere $25 million ( Rs. 153 crore), says Pallav Bagla of Science magazine. Comparison: Nasa's similar MAVEN Mars project will cost 10 times more and will take three times longer.

Isro is widely cited as an example of "frugal engineering" — the Indian ability to produce high-end technology at eye-poppingly low costs. A US state department scientific adviser once said that Isro had reduced satellite assembly costs to a tenth of Nasa's.

Isro's accomplishments are remarkable given its tiny budget: $700 million ( Rs. 4,270 crore) in 2012-13. Despite a space programme whose financial base is the ninth largest, India is generally rated the world's number six space power.

Of this, only 7% is allotted for planetary exploration. Isro's prime directive has and continues to be the finding of technical means to support socio-economic goals such as education, medicine, water and disaster management.

Isro also defrays government support through a commercial arm, Antrix. Through the sale of satellite imagery, satellite launches and so on, Antrix earned a pre-tax Rs. 2 billion in 2010 alone.

Isro officials privately say they have utilitarian reasons for symbolically exciting projects like the Mars mission: it helps them "recruit engineering talent" despite the agency's government salary structure.

Euroconsult, the world's leading space consultancy firm, said the United States spent $43 billion (Rs 262,300 crore)in space in 2011, more than 60% of the global total.

China officially has a space budget of only $500 million ( Rs. 3,050 crore), a figure widely disbelieved. Euroconsult says China's budget is closer to $1.3 billion ( Rs. 7,930 crore). And though Beijing has a lead over New Delhi when it comes to astronauts, its only Mars mission, the Yinghuo 1, used a Russian rocket, a Kazakh launchpad and never left Earth orbit.

Rocket science: how Isro flew to Mars cheap - Hindustan Times

happy

I am very happy and proud that my country managed to send spaceship to Mars. Despite many difficulties we achieved. If NASA's Indian scientists work here then ISRO would be more powerful. We should focus more on Space research, btw I want India also should start research about UFO's and Aliens.

But it is just beginning, we have a long way to go.
Bro, we just launched :). It has a long way to travel and also successfully reduce speed to stay in orbit before we can say that we successfully sent spaceship to mars :).

It is really remarkable feat that ISRO has managed this in a very short time of 15 months.

I would like the day we become aliens on a different planet. :) :)

Free Karma

^^ some more facts to it:

The movie "Gravity" cost more to produce than the mars mission :D (graivty cost 100 million$)
The cost per Kilometer is 12 rupees. Same as auto fares in chennai!!!

happy

It is worth mentioning that only The China Daily and South China Morning Post have given genuine reviews about the Mars Mission. The Global times on the other hand is repeating all the same blah blah about india's poverty and what not. Some excerpts from Global times below:

India has an ambitious goal of leading Asia in this area, especially having an advantage over China. As poor as India is, New Delhi managed to carry out its Mars exploration program with a budget of only $73 million, much less than the spending of China and Japan. Nonetheless, it is not immune from critics at home and abroad, who wonder whether it's worthy for a country where more than 350 million people live on less than $1.25 a day and one third of the population are plagued by power shortages to spend millions of dollars traveling hundreds of millions of kilometers for a few Mars pictures.

However, such suspicions haven't prevented India from continuously casting money into exploring outer space.
China is a unique member in the global space club, since it has a relatively low social development but is considered "rich" at the current stage. Populism suggests space development is useless and more investment be allocated to areas such as education and healthcare. Such a proposition is unlikely to be responded to at the national strategic level.

India, which still has hundreds of millions of illiterates and where money is needed in all fields, decisively sticks to exploring Mars and the Moon. Its national interests triumph over short-sighted populism.
China must keep alert on populism, avoiding letting it kidnap the national strategic interests. In front of an India that is striving to catch up with China, we have no other choice but to construct our comprehensive strategic power.
India's space ambition offers clue to China - OP-ED - Globaltimes.cn

nimo_cn

Country flag

It is worth mentioning that only The China Daily and South China Morning Post have given genuine reviews about the Mars Mission. The Global times on the other hand is repeating all the same blah blah about india's poverty and what not. Some excerpts from Global times below:

India's space ambition offers clue to China - OP-ED - Globaltimes.cn
the piece published by global times gave India more recognition than the other two.

Waffen SS

As far as the British 'aid' to India, Pranab Mukherjee, when he was the Finance Minister had said that India does not require that aid.

Now, if they still want to act as if they have money to squander, it is their problem and not India's.
Their aid is just fraction of what they stole from us. Instead of giving money if they send back all Indian doctors, scientists and engineers to India then it will be more beneficial for India. We are not desperate for your help.

Go Pakis Go, Go Arabs go.

Global media focus on India's Mars mission | Firstpost

Will Isro Mars mission start an Indo-China space race? | Firstpost

Indo-Chinese competition may start in space.

kseeker

Retired
India`s Mars mission `a symbolic coup` against China: US media

Last Updated: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 08:21

Washington: India's successful launch of its Mars mission has been described by the mainstream American media as "technological leap" and "a symbolic coup" against China in this field.

"If it succeeds, India's Mars mission would represent a technological leap for the South Asia nation, pushing it ahead of space rivals China and Japan in the field of interplanetary exploration," The Wall Street Journal wrote yesterday.

"A successful mission by India's Mars orbiter would make the country the first Asian nation to reach the Red Planet -- and provide a symbolic coup as neighbouring China steps up its ambitions in space," the CNN reported, adding that this has given further credence to claims of an intensifying space race developing in Asia, with potentially dangerous ramifications.

"I believe India's leadership sees China's recent accomplishments in space science as a threat to its status in Asia, and feels the need to respond," Dr James Clay Moltz, professor at the US Naval Postgraduate School, told the CNN.

The satellite launched by ISRO yesterday is expected to enter the Mars orbit next September and is at a significantly lower cost than that of other countries like the United States.

The cost of the Mars mission is USD 73 million, less than a sixth of the amount earmarked for a Mars probe by NASA that will launched later this month.

The popular National Public Radio (NPR) wrote as to why the India's Mars mission is cheaper than that of the NASA.

One reason could be the salary of its engineers and scientists, it said.

While the mean annual income for an aeronautical engineer in the United States is just under USD 105,000, the higher end scale for Indian engineers is less than USD 20,000.

"I think labour is the biggest factor, as well as the complexity of the mission. It takes a whole team of engineers," David Alexander, director of the Rice Space Institute told NPR.

According to Alexander, it appears that India's main goal is just getting to Mars, and so the probe is carrying "relatively simple" and therefore not-so-expensive instrumentation.

"What the Indians want to know is: Will it survive? And will it get into orbit? I think the hope is that even if it fails, they are going to learn something," he said.

Another expert Professor Russell Boyce of the Australian Academy of Science, chairman of the National Committee for Space and Radio Science, said any scientific gains from the mission are unlikely to prove earth-shattering.

"It would be a modest scientific gain that's attempted in the first instance, to demonstrate the capability," he told the CNN.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles