Indian EMB-145 AEW&C

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Saya

What about the link (Can not give credit to Prasun !!)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How many do mean by "plenty"?

In case of hostilities, how many do we need in the air (even in a 2 front case involving China)?
Consireding some to be in downtime for servicing, change of stations, rotation of aircraft - I don't think we need more than 8 for the Western Front and 8 for the Eastern sector. Maybe 4 more Bay of Bengal/Andaman region.
Definitely not more than 18 in all.

Lets not forget that they will be complementing a fleet of PHALCONs.
It depends on IAF entirely..

I think we need no less than 25..

p2prada

In case of hostilities, how many do we need in the air (even in a 2 front case involving China)?
Consireding some to be in downtime for servicing, change of stations, rotation of aircraft - I don't think we need more than 8 for the Western Front and 8 for the Eastern sector. Maybe 4 more Bay of Bengal/Andaman region.
Definitely not more than 18 in all.

24, cause I like the number. Anyway IAF has an interest in 20+ of these.

The current plans call for 5 Phalcons and 20+ CAB-DRDO AEW&C. This will be followed up by minimum of 4(+ options) more Phalcon equivalent AWACS that will be made in the AWACS-India program.

It is simple, take USAF, halve their strength and you have IAF. That's the immediate future.

We need enough AWACS to counter attrition too. While PAF may not have the capability to engage our AWACS, PLAAF will.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

Definitely not more than 18 in all

I am going to go off the topic due to the fact you have raised the point on war on two fronts. Can you give the reason for China to engage India in a conflict? I am of the opinion that China will not risk damaging her economic ties with India no matter what Pakistan does or says. One of the very important reason being hat the future shale oil/shale gas development in China is going to depend upon the supply of main ingredient from India as is USA dependent for her shale oil and shale gas fields development. India controls 80% of the world market and 20% by Pakistan, USA, and China. There is no synthetic chemical replacement in the world in spite of over twenty years of research to create one.

My POV in no way should be taken as if I am against developing the necessary hardware, manpower and infrastructure to defend ourselves and if opportunity allows to take back occupied territory from the thugs on two sides of the border.

p2prada

Hi, is it possible to make the Phalcons redundant by using more AEW&CS aircrafts? If that is true, it would save a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on an indigenous AWACS development.
No. Also we have a new AWACS program for Phalcon equivalent systems. So, there seems to be enough money for both.

Defcon 1

Country flag
No. Also we have a new AWACS program for Phalcon equivalent systems. So, there seems to be enough money for both.
My question is it possible to completely replace AWACS with more AEW&CS. If it is, then no need to develop AWACS now. It could be developed later

p2prada

My question is it possible to completely replace AWACS with more AEW&CS. If it is, then no need to develop AWACS now. It could be developed later
Both AWACS and AEW&Cs are the same. As a matter of fact, AWACS was the program name for the E-3 in the US. AEW&C is the proper nomenclature for all aircraft of the type. The DRDO-CABS aircraft is also an AEW&C. Due to a misconception a lot of people still call all these aircraft as AWACS. Only NATO uses AWACS when referring to the E-3. E-2 is an AEW. Even Indian scientists in all their glory are using an American program name for our own program called AWACS-India.

Anyway I got the point you were making.

The Phalcon is simply a much more capable version of the AWACS while the smaller DRDO-CABS AEW&C is simply a smaller, less capable version. The Phalcon is carried on wide body aircraft with massive payloads nearing 40-50 tons while DRDO-CABS radar is carried on smaller aircraft with a payload of 5 tons. The Phalcons carry a massive assortment of ELINT and COMINT equipment other than the radar system and is capable of working as a fully networked command node. Meaning it can function as a flying network server and direct all elements of the battlefield from the air. ELINT is Electronics Intelligence and COMINT is Communications intelligence. ELINT can compose of all signals that have nothing to do with communications, like aircraft Microwave signals, satellite signals etc. COMINT can include mobile signals, datalink signals etc. With this the Phalcon is even capable of listening in to enemy communications while at the same time the supercomputers on the aircraft are processing other electronic signals on the move.

This is something DRDO-CABS, Erieye, KJ-200, ZDK-03, E-2C and Erieye cannot do. The smaller aircraft do carry SIGINT(ELINT + COMINT = Signals Intelligence) receivers, but the data is stored and processed on land. It is not real time. Smaller aircraft also have a lesser number of workstations, 5 or 6 in number. Phalcon has 11 workstations. So, Phalcon can handle a lot more air traffic and the battlespace management capability is much greater due to the larger crew.

The radar signals processing capability is higher on the Phalcons and also the power delivered by the radar. The radar alone is larger than on the smaller aircraft. It can also provide consistent 360[SUP]o[/SUP] capability. So, even if you have more of the smaller aircraft, the detection and tracking capability of Phalcon is greater.

So, you tell me if Phalcon can be replaced by a a larger number of DRDO-CABS aircraft?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

nose of Plane is big, cant they put a radar their, so that blind spots can be reduce further.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag

nose of Plane is big, cant they put a radar their, so that blind spots can be reduce further.

And a Huge redesign is again required as the center of gravity is shifted in the front and again might not have enough electrical output from the engine. Too much hassle man

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Another challenge is to integrate it with DRDO supplied mission system electronics. What is the level of proficiency in that?
We have many more coming in the pipeline. Hands On !!

Twinblade

Country flag
Thank you Sayareakd for the comprehensive collection of info.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
IAF Chief Inspects 1st Indigenous AEW&C Jet

Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne PVSM AVSM VM ADC, Chief of Air Staff, Indian Air Force was the chief guest in the function in which the aircraft was formally received in CABS. Speaking on the occasion, he said he was personally very satisfied with this significant milestone in the programme which was not, and still is not, an easy programme. He said the AEW&C programme is the starting point for much larger, more complex projects such as AWACS India programme.
Livefist: IAF Chief Inspects 1st Indigenous AEW&C Jet

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Indigenous airborne radar for IAF trials soon

The Indian Air Force (IAF) will soon fly the first indigenous airborne radar system mounted on the Brazilian Embraer jet for flight trials and induction by April 2014.

"We will start flying the indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEW&C) soon after its integration for extensive flight trials for induction and operationalisation in April 2014," Chief of Air Staff N.A.K. Browne told reporters here Thursday.

To strengthen its surveillance network, the IAF has tied up with the state-run Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in 2007 to induct three indigenously built airborne radar systems atop three modified Embraer jets at a cost of Rs.2,157 crore ($399 million)....

Designed and developed by the city-based Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS) of DRDO to detect enemy aircraft, battle ships and terrain vehicles at long ranges the airborne radar has an active electronically scanned array (AESA) atop the customised EMG-145 fuselage and about 60 antennae and sensors over the body of the 4.5-tonne aircraft.

"For the first time, the aircraft has air-to-air refueling system to extend its flying hours (time-on-station). The cabin has been reconfigured to have five operator work stations, four equipment racks, additional fuselage fuel tanks and five rest crew seats," CABS director and AEW&C programme director S. Christopher said on the occasion of handing over the aircraft to IAF...

"The world is watching this radar with bated breath as its development will benefit Embraer and DRDO to collaborate for producing a cost-effective and formidable force multipliers in the global market," Saraswat, who is also scientific adviser Defence Minister A.K. Antony, said on the occasion.

Published September 20, 2012 | By admin, SOURCE: IANS
Indigenous airborne radar for IAF trials soon | idrw.org
Soon ? When will they fly it :( ?

p2prada

Next year I suppose.

There's still a while to go for initial inductions.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles