re: Indian EMB-145 AEW&C

Sorry daddy ,i wont post pictures again:D

Twinblade

Country flag

^^^

I think these are specs from 1996.
Not 1996, for the first Indian patent on AESA T/r modules was filed in 1998 :p
This image is quite ancient though, for the report on ACIG was prepared by the late B Harry. The lower image featuring an s-band package consisting of two t/r modules has been surpassed eons ago. The current package consists of 8 t/r modules in one package.

DRDO

CABS has successfully designed and developed a block of T/R modules designated Transmit-Receive Multi-Module (TRMM) and have productionised the device through M/s Astra Microwave Products Ltd., Hyderabad. The TRMM comprises eight T/R Modules having eight electronic power amplifiers and eight low-noise receivers. The device incorporates a heat-exchanger using forced air to keep its components within acceptable temperature limits. The realization of Phase Shifter, Attenuator and Switch in one single package has helped in appreciable compactness of the unit. Development of the Transmit-Receive Multi-Module (TRMM) was a significant and high-value indigenous effort as the technology, hitherto available only to a handful of advanced nations, could be, for the first time, engineered successfully to fully meet the needs of the Indian AEW&C system. The important fact about the indigenous TRMM is that the quantity required for the Indian AEW&C programme could be produced indigenously at less than 25% of the imported cost of an equivalent device.
As you can see, these packages are quite compact. What's more is that these arrays are Air cooled, and you do not have to be a genius to understand the advantages of an air cooled system vis'-a-vis' a liquid cooled system. It also tells you a great deal about the thermal stability of MMIC's and the robustness of the t/r modules.

Do not show pictures. show results..

All people are fed up of DODO pictures
http://www.astramwp.com/adminpanel/products/1340011618_180612_IER_InitiationReport.pdf
This is the report prepared by CRISIL on Astra microwave, the company chosen to manufacture the AESA array. From the report :-

Project Description
AEW&C

What Astra can supply
ELTA, Israel and Brazilian Embraer are supplying aircrafts to
India. The aircrafts from Brazilian Embraer will be without
radars. Indigenously manufactured S-Band AESA radars will
be tested in these aircrafts
S-band T/R
modules

Comments

Partnered in the development of the product.
Already supplied 3 units of T/R module array.
User testing is in progress
^^ Dear Bhadra, you could have found that that with just 30 seconds of google-fu, just a little more than the time taken to post your lazy rant. Right now we have more working arrays than aircraft to mount them on. Want the real thing ?

http://jjamwal.in/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0091.jpg
http://jjamwal.in/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0092.jpg
http://jjamwal.in/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_0093.jpg

You know what that is ? That is one of the working arrays. Go ahead and ask the operators to turn it on and stand in front of it, don't worry nothing will happen to you, but the nation would be blessed to not have another generation of whiners.

Last edited:

p2prada

I wonder if the patent application date is available.

Your jjamwal links are not working. Just post the actual link instead of posting the image link.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Perhaps he is talking about this one i found it through google by searching the filename he mentioned :-

Last edited:

Drsomnath999

lord of 32 teeth
Country flag

I wonder if the patent application date is available.

Your jjamwal links are not working. Just post the actual link instead of posting the image link.
but jjamwal links are working for me

p2prada

Can't see the pics. Can some one just post the relevant link instead of the link for pictures.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag

this is the AAAU indgenously designed and developed by DRDO for EMB-145 AEW&C
they applied for it's patent in 2001(for t/r modules technology) and they got the patent in 2007

Storm shadow

Country flag

Hey,can some knowledgeable member here give a chart comparing number of T/R modules and dimensions of radar antenna of Saab 2000 Ery Eye and Embraer Emb 145 AWACS????

Thanks in advance....................

Twinblade

Country flag

Hey,can some knowledgeable member here give a chart comparing number of T/R modules and dimensions of radar antenna of Saab 2000 Ery Eye and Embraer Emb 145 AWACS????

Thanks in advance....................
Drdo's aew&c uses S-band Active Aperture Array of 1244 elements using 100W TR modules . The FSR-890 uses 200 T/R modules of undisclosed power rating.

p2prada

1244 X 100W.

The 100W figure must be the total figure for a single package or T/R modules. There could be at least 4 or 6 T/Rs in a single package.

Twinblade

Country flag

1244 X 100W.

The 100W figure must be the total figure for a single package or T/R modules. There could be at least 4 or 6 T/Rs in a single package.
That figure is straight from the manufacturer. See the link I posted earlier, it has tons of nuggets on a lot of radar programs.

Storm shadow

Country flag

Hey,vary many THANX Twinblade.I have got a doubt.Is the Sword Fish LRTR developed by DRDO based on Green Pine or just a renamed Green Pine??I mean can anyone here tell me if the Sword Fish uses any Indian made parts in it or not and can it be produced in India entirely by ourselves??

p2prada

Hey,vary many THANX Twinblade.I have got a doubt.Is the Sword Fish LRTR developed by DRDO based on Green Pine or just a renamed Green Pine??I mean can anyone here tell me if the Sword Fish uses any Indian made parts in it or not and can it be produced in India entirely by ourselves??
Two Greenpines were procured. Due to the American sanctions the Israelis could not transfer technology. So, while the Greenpines were used for BMD tests, the Israelis and DRDO worked together to develop Swordfish which was similar to Greenpine. As time passed all manufacturing started happening with Indian parts. I think as of today everything on the Swordfish is Indian. I am not sure about the radar processors though.

That figure is straight from the manufacturer. See the link I posted earlier, it has tons of nuggets on a lot of radar programs.
Could be true, it is 124.4KW anyway. I bet too much for an aircraft to power.

They must have copy pasted a ground testbed figures.

Twinblade

Country flag

Making the hardware is the easier part. The Indian BMD system is two tiered featuring an LRTR (L-band) and a MFCR (S-band). We have recieved considerable ToT for S-band radars ( from GS100 LLTR tot from thales to be used in Ashwini LLTR and from EL-2284 from elta for Arudhra MPR). Astra microwave is already working with BEL and LRDE for manufacturing L-band modules (status unknown). What is yet to be seen is if we are as capable in the designing the back end and algorithms.

Could be true, it is 124.4KW anyway. I bet too much for an aircraft to power.

They must have copy pasted a ground testbed figures.
DRDO EMB-145 features two APU's, an additional one mounted for the mission suite apart from regular conversion done for Emb-145 erieye with FSR-890. The generators on E-3 and 767 awacs are capable of producing much more power than that.

Storm shadow

Country flag

So,DRDO AWACS has maximum range of 300 km against 2 m2 targets.Then what happened to the report that DRDO AWACS having maximum tracking range of 370+ km in extended mode??
And do anyone have any info wrt how does the DRDO AWACS fares against Saab 2000 Erieye AWACS in terms of maximum power output and tracking range??
THANX in advance.

Storm shadow

Country flag

@Twinblade,
You had stated that DRDO AWACS has 1244 t/r modules and Erieye has 200 t/r modules.
I want to ask is that 200 t/r modules or 200 t/r multi module packages??
And as per pictures,each t/r multi module package has 8 t/r modules-then how could there be 1244 t/r modules in LSTAR aau??

And finally,does anyone here have any idea of what kind of chips being produced by Astra microwave for AESA radars??Arey GaAs ones or GaN ones??
Hope someone might reply my quaries.SORRY if my questions seem stupid to you.I'm a noob.

Blackwater

India receives its first EMB-145 AEW&C aircraft

India has received its first Embraer EMB-145 airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft.

The first of three aircraft was delivered at Embraer's São Josė dos Campos headquarters, says the Brazilian airframer.

The aircraft has undergone ground and flight tests, meeting targets set by Embraer and the Centre for Airborne Systems unit of India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Following the integration of DRDO mission systems, the aircraft will subsequently be handed over to the Indian air force. India ordered the three aircraft under a $208 million deal in 2008.

India receives its first EMB-145 AEW&C aircraft

Blackwater

Re: India receives its first EMB-145 AEW&C aircraft

How it is different from paki SAAB??? can any member shed light

Global Defence

New threads

Articles