Indian Automotive Sector

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe even Ford and Chevrolet are planning to build cars in India aimed for export.

In fact, the automobile industry is planning to diverse their export orientation from China to India.

sob

Mod
Country flag
IIRC correctly Car exports from India have crossed the export figures from China( in terms of Volume)

no smoking

Country flag
I believe even Ford and Chevrolet are planning to build cars in India aimed for export.

In fact, the automobile industry is planning to diverse their export orientation from China to India.
There is a difference here. The cars built in China by those foreign companies are for chinese customers instead of exportation.
Those car exported are the "crap" with Chinese brand: Great wall, cherry, etc.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
When will car prices drop here ?

When currency is directly converted (1$= Rs.45) the amount that is spent in usa for bmw is the same as we spend here for toyota corolla.

pmaitra

When will car prices drop here ?

When currency is directly converted (1$= Rs.45) the amount that is spent in usa for bmw is the same as we spend here for toyota corolla.
That is very true. There is high taxation in India than in the US. Cars are actually cheaper here.

On the other hand, the US is trying to sell the idea of public transport and wean people away from those that prefer driving themselves.

From a certain perspective, I think it is good that GoI is not encouraging high volumes of car sales. Of course, electric cars or any form of transport that does not translate into India paying the oil rich Gulf states for petrol or diesel must be kept tax free.

I think India should not get into the habit of using cars. We need more public transport and that definitely will work out great.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
That is very true. There is high taxation in India than in the US. Cars are actually cheaper here.

On the other hand, the US is trying to sell the idea of public transport and wean people away from those that prefer driving themselves.

From a certain perspective, I think it is good that GoI is not encouraging high volumes of car sales. Of course, electric cars or any form of transport that does not translate into India paying the oil rich Gulf states for petrol or diesel must be kept tax free.

I think India should not get into the habit of using cars. We need more public transport and that definitely will work out great.
I think ever increasing price of petrol will ultimately do that.

I remember two years ago when petrol for Rs.42 and now its Rs.62. Public transport in delhi is best in India imo currently.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
If all 1 billion+ Indians start using cars as much as Americans do, we won't even be able to breathe. India's cities already suffer from severe air pollution, no need to make it even worse.

The best solution is to encourage public transport, especially electric trains. Autos, buses, and even scooters are also better alternatives to private ownership of cars.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
BBC said:
The cars may be a product of the Japanese giant auto maker but they are manufactured about 60kms away, at Nissan's Indian factory.Less than a year old, the sprawling 600-acre plant is one of the company's largest worldwide.At its high-tech assembly line, Indian workers work swiftly, putting together the latest models.

Nissan is among several major Asian companies that have set up manufacturing hubs in this area.

For years, it was the West that engaged with India.
The West has failed to engage India? It is Renault that owns Nissan, a French company.

sob

Mod
Country flag
The West has failed to engage India? It is Renault that owns Nissan, a French company.
Armand the article states that the Western countries had a presence in India but the entry into India for Asian companies is relatively more recent.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
In Bangkok, Toyota corollas are used as taxis!! They come cheap there and over here it's a premium car!

In Taiwan it's the Camrys!!

Tax is really high in India especially for imported ones. Local sales tax, excise and road tax are high as well.

It's good in a way. There are not enough roads for current volume of cars in india. Shudder to think about what would happen if 10 times more cars hit the roads because of lower taxes.

But I sure do envy those in the west who drive four wheel drives that come in at less than half the price in India. I would love to own one of those! Any sponsor?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Armand the article states that the Western countries had a presence in India but the entry into India for Asian companies is relatively more recent.
I know, but it is Nissan they are using as an example. The orders for what they do and where they expand comes from Boulogne. Maybe they can use other examples like Toyota which is still Japanese controlled, but Nissan... no.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
In Bangkok, Toyota corollas are used as taxis!! They come cheap there and over here it's a premium car!

In Taiwan it's the Camrys!!

Tax is really high in India especially for imported ones. Local sales tax, excise and road tax are high as well.

It's good in a way. There are not enough roads for current volume of cars in india. Shudder to think about what would happen if 10 times more cars hit the roads because of lower taxes.

But I sure do envy those in the west who drive four wheel drives that come in at less than half the price in India. I would love to own one of those! Any sponsor?
I think when that happens, everyone can buy a car, park it home and take walk! Because cars wont be able to move on jammed roads. :D

sob

Mod
Country flag
They probably mean Fiat which has been India for decades ??
LF Mercedes was the original collobrators with the Tata's for their Trucks. Not just the Automotive Industry other industries like Machine Tools, Steel Plant and Cement Plant equipment, Cranes and other construction equipment manufacturers, European companies were in India for a very long time. The Japanese came only in the 80s and the Koreans in 90s.

amoy

Cars are affordable to most people generally on varying budgets. The issue is abt costs associated with driving a car. Petrol, tax and insurance aside, misc charges always burn a hole in one's pocket, such as maintenance, parking, or traffic tickets. People often have to find a parking lot then walk a few blocks to final destinations.

Automakers in China are reported of being challenged with managing a surplus in production.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Cars are affordable to most people generally on varying budgets. The issue is abt costs associated with driving a car. Petrol, tax and insurance aside, misc charges always burn a hole in one's pocket, such as maintenance, parking, or traffic tickets. People often have to find a parking lot then walk a few blocks to final destinations.

Automakers in China are reported of being challenged with managing a surplus in production.
you chaps are lucky, at least we in india need to shell out twice as much for the same car as you chaps do in china, and when it comes to US there are times when we shell out thrice as much or at times even more.

Syd

Country flag
Armand said
"know, but it is Nissan they are using as an example. The orders for what they do and where they expand comes from Boulogne. Maybe they can use other examples like Toyota which is still Japanese controlled, but Nissan... no."

Armand, I believe that Renault own 43.4% of Nissan. In turn Nissan owns 15% of Renault. Nissan takes its orders from hQ in Yokohama, which despite earthquakes, is still in Japan.

By the way both Nissan and Renault share the same CEO Carlos Ghosn who is a Brazilian of Labanese Maronite descent - a truly sign of globalisation.

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
Tata Eyes Indonesia To Produce Nano For Southeast Asian Markets

BERNAMA - Tata Eyes Indonesia To Produce Nano For Southeast Asian Markets

NEW DELHI, July 12 (Bernama) -- India's Tata Motors may select Indonesia to produce its Nano model, the world's cheapest passenger car, eventually turning it into a Southeast Asian production hub.

Media reports across India and Southeast Asia revealed that Tata would roll out about 50,000 units of Nano for the local and regional markets namely Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand.

"Given its wide portfolio and objective of expanding the international business, Tata Motors continuously explores both what could be relevant markets and within them relevant business opportunities," a Tata Motors spokesperson was quoted as saying in the Business Standard today.

The four-seater Nano instantly became a world famous passenger car, when Tata announced in 2009 it would be priced at 100,000 Indian rupees (RM7,000).

The Indian auto giant is in talks with PT Astra International, Indonesia's leading auto maker, and plans production by 2013.

Malaysia and Thailand had also expressed interest to woo Tata to set up a plant.

During Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin's visit to India last March, Tata Group Chairman Ratan Tata said the car maker was keen to work with Proton to produce Nano.

The Jakarta Post quoted Gita Wiryawan, Chairman of the Investment Coordinating Board as saying that "Tata was still doing feasibility studies and that the government might give the Indian firm a tax break if the project proved beneficial."

It was reported that Tata opted out of Thailand due to political instability and an unfavourable tax structure.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles