Would India lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean??

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
I Do not think our Policy makers are so foolish to lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean? (Probably in the Lakshadweep)

And the opposition will see it as a complete surrender to the US.

sustaining all the pressure If Govt Of India (GOI) does lease, getting the US to evacuate them later will not be a easy task.
Most naval bases leased by USA are 35 years+.

sandeepdg

@ LF

Mate, this is never gonna happen, and I hope it is just so. Arabian Sea and IOR is our playground and we should always hold the upper hand in this region. Diego Garcia is enough for American needs for the foreseeable future. As, for your graphic showing Diego Garcia is far from Middle East, then I think you are forgetting that the USN 5TH fleet is based out Manama, Bahrain whose zone of operation spans the Persian gulf, the Red sea, the Arabian sea as far as Kenya in Eastern Africa. Its a huge base with a usual force of 20 ships an subs based there, including a CBG.

debasree

Country flag
Dont try to be a big power by sitting on a tigers back ultimately it will ****** u.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
What?? No way man! This is our region and our area of influence. We need to start establishing bases all around the country so that we can exert more influence and hence greater clout in the region. Maldives, Mauritius, Madagascar and a whole host of nations depend on us. This is a golden opportunity to regain further control in IOR via further improving ties with Southeast countries bordering IOR (Burma, Thailand etc).

US already has like around 500 bases worldwide and many more secret ones. The IOR, South Asia and Southeast should be aimed as region having Indian influence. And a very strong one.

sandeepdg

Dont try to be a big power by sitting on a tigers back ultimately it will ****** u.
What exactly do you mean to say ? Anyway, instead of limping of other powers' support, the time has come for India to grow up and take every challenge in its own stride and establish supremacy in its backyard. As long as you are dependent on others, the world won't take you seriously.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I am pretty sure the USN is happy with Diego Garcia in the IOR. They would not want another naval base in India.

kvpatel007

I have often wondered this myself. I think it would be a good idea, strategic, and help develop even closer ties with the US. India would also conceivably gain access to more American technology, and India's amazing strides aside, this would be definitely be positive for the Indian Navy. It would be an effective counter against Chinese encroachment too in the Indian Ocean, and send them a strong signal not to enter into any conflicts with India, even over Pakistan.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I have often wondered this myself. I think it would be a good idea, strategic, and help develop even closer ties with the US. India would also conceivably gain access to more American technology, and India's amazing strides aside, this would be definitely be positive for the Indian Navy. It would be an effective counter against Chinese encroachment too in the Indian Ocean, and send them a strong signal not to enter into any conflicts with India, even over Pakistan.

Actually, India has big plans for sizing the Indian Ocean and South Asia as its "security buffer zone," in the spirit of Russia's claim to its backyard. So it will not allow the US to lease any of its naval bases.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Not likely. Just because USA has a base somewhere does not mean they have access to US technology. Philippines? Kuwait?
Also India is averse to having too close ties with any power stronger - like the USA or before that the USSR.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Not likely. Just because USA has a base somewhere does not mean they have access to US technology. Philippines? Kuwait?
Also India is averse to having too close ties with any power stronger - like the USA or before that the USSR.
Averse my a#se! India was sucking it up with Kremlin during the Cold War. Look around you, much of the defense establishment in India is still stuck in the Soviet weapons and tactics.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Averse my a#se! India was sucking it up with Kremlin during the Cold War. Look around you, much of the defense establishment in India is still stuck in the Soviet weapons and tactics.
Does that mean we gave a base to Soviets? We would have never done that, the only reason India grew closer to USSR is because they where more sympathetic to NAM and we needed help when US was selling large amount of equipment against Pakistan. So we bought from Soviets and Europe. A lot of our tanks and aircrafts in the indo-pak war was British contrary to popular belief.

We also bought Soviet Migs because at the height of Cold War they sold it at Friendship price.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
And what were you doing? China was earlier a cheap replica of Soviet Union while once the Sino-Soviet Split happened, it quietly jumped the bandwagon with the USA. What different was any country around the world other than countries like Switzerland who though maintained operational neutrality but still were closer to NATO and western world.

The reason why we got closer to Russia is because they were more accommodating to our needs than Western world was at that time.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
If this hasn't already been posted by someone, USN does have a base ready for it at Diego Garcia (BIOT), just a little south of Lakshadweep.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
america and china must understand that indian ocean is india's ocean and we have the right to rule over it.yes other indian ocean countries do have the same right but none of them are as powerful as india.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
america and china must understand that indian ocean is india's ocean and we have the right to rule over it.yes other indian ocean countries do have the same right but none of them are as powerful as india.
There goes the self-righteous criticisms against the US for trying to lord over other countries...

civfanatic

Retired
Actually, India has big plans for sizing the Indian Ocean and South Asia as its "security buffer zone," in the spirit of Russia's claim to its backyard. So it will not allow the US to lease any of its naval bases.
Absolutely right.

When the time comes, and India has enough economic and political clout, the U.S. occupation of Diego Garcia should also be contested. It is a humanitarian issue and we should make the world aware of it (Check this thread: http://defenceforumindia.com/intern...-untold-story-british-exploitation-diego.html).

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Absolutely right.

When the time comes, and India has enough economic and political clout, the U.S. occupation of Diego Garcia should also be contested. It is a humanitarian issue and we should make the world aware of it (Check this thread: http://defenceforumindia.com/intern...-untold-story-british-exploitation-diego.html).

When that time comes for India to be the absolute master of the Indian Ocean area threads: "India is bullying smaller neighbors." Yes, when you're on top a lot of people below will endlessly rant about their sorry lives under you. That's what they think.

LETHALFORCE

Country flag
When that time comes for India to be the absolute master of the Indian Ocean area threads: "India is bullying smaller neighbors." Yes, when you're on top a lot of people below will endlessly rant about their sorry lives under you. That's what they think.
They are already doing that Sri Lanka ,Bd,Pakistan and trying to play the Chinese angle.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
They are already doing that Sri Lanka ,Bd,Pakistan and trying to play the Chinese angle.
That's nothing compared to when India is already anointed as the master of South Asia. By then there will be countless civfanatics complaining everyday about how their miserable lives are the result of India's dominance...

Articles