What are your hobbies?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Golang mostly but I've done Python, C, Java, Ruby, C# you name it in the past.
Is there a good dependency manager around for Go? Managing versions while building from source is tedious.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Is there a good dependency manager around for Go? Managing versions while building from source is tedious.
I just use gvt like gvt fetch github.com/foo and it can fetch specific commits. It works mostly but it is not ideal because I fork a lot of open source repos and still want to use them using their original names.

dep is supposed to be the official vendoring tool going forward though I haven't tried it personally.

https://github.com/golang/dep

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I just use gvt like gvt fetch github.com/foo and it can fetch specific commits. It works mostly but it is not ideal because I fork a lot of open source repos and still want to use them using their original names.

dep is supposed to be the official vendoring tool going forward though I haven't tried it personally.

https://github.com/golang/dep
dep seems very unintuitive to use, up until now I was relying on git's tag mechanism for versioning, but as the code-base is growing, it has become a real pain managing release candidates, bug fixes and features. I have no idea why the designers chose to do such jugaad for a new language when it comes to version management.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
dep seems very unintuitive to use, up until now I was relying on git's tag mechanism for versioning, but as the code-base is growing, it has become a real pain managing release candidates, bug fixes and features. I have no idea why the designers chose to do such jugaad for a new language when it comes to version management.

Yeah, definitely earlier versions didn't even have vendoring support. You had to fuck about with your GOPATH.

Actually, though I use gvt for personal projects, at work not our entire code is written in Go. There is some Chef stuff, some Python, some bash etc. All of it needs to be bundled together to make a release. So we wrote this tool that takes a JSON manifest, fetches the right versions and builds a release. It would probably make sense to open source at some point.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I don't if these can be considered hobbies more like pastimes, I guess.

Reading non-fiction (geopolitics, history, self-help), playing the keyboard, movies and stuff, going for a drive/hiking trips.
Not doing these as frequently these.
Used to collect old/foreign coins, still have the collection somewhere at home.

captscooby81

Country flag
Well i had lost fortune of my pocket money in collecting stamps of different countries in school days ...Also had few coins of different countries god knows where i lost all of them ...

Reading non-fiction (geopolitics, history, self-help), playing the keyboard, movies and stuff, going for a drive/hiking trips.

Willy2

My hobby is google earth....I like to visit various disputed borders betn different nation and try to sense who control what , what the deal , who is in advantage..this is relatively easy in 3D mode , specially in mountainous borders , like Himalayan , Andiz, Alps etc

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Oh you used to collect coins too ?

I had a hobby to collect those 'special' commemorative coins which were often minted to celebrate various things of indian history.One with 'Chacha Nehru' (god,i hate that mofo),Indira Gandhi,Sardar Patel,Andaman-Nikobar Jail,Sant Tiruvalluar etc.

Here is the list of Commemorative Coins minted by Reserve Bank of India
http://www.republiccoinsofindia.com/wp-content/pdf/commemorative_typewise.pdf

Will post images of them.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Oh you used to collect coins too ?

I had a hobby to collect those 'special' commemorative coins which were often minted to celebrate various things of indian history.One with 'Chacha Nehru' (god,i hate that mofo),Indira Gandhi,Sardar Patel,Andaman-Nikobar Jail,Sant Tiruvalluar etc.

Here is the list of Commemorative Coins minted by Reserve Bank of India
http://www.republiccoinsofindia.com/wp-content/pdf/commemorative_typewise.pdf

Will post images of them.
I think I had all that you have listed (didn't see the link tho)

Also have those 1,2 paisa, ones with holes, annas and stuff like that.

gekko

I have no idea why the designers chose to do such jugaad for a new language when it comes to version management.
release. It would probably make sense to open source at some point.
Nigga, use Bower. It's based on NPM and it was made specifically to automate the creation and management of the JSON manifest for dependencies. Elegant af.

https://www.npmjs.com/package/go

Dependencies can be updated right from the terminal.

Code:
$ npm install request
+ [email protected]
added 54 packages in 15.92s
Leads to automatic update in package.json

Code:
"dependencies": {
"mkdirp": "^0.5.1",
"request": "^2.81.0",
"underscore": "^1.8.2"
},
No need to even use --save. It is saved by default. Just use --no-save if you want the dependency to not be saved to the JSON.

Or use SVN for simplicity.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
My hobby is google earth....I like to visit various disputed borders betn different nation and try to sense who control what , what the deal , who is in advantage..this is relatively easy in 3D mode , specially in mountainous borders , like Himalayan , Andiz, Alps etc
Google Earth has some pretty good maps and 3D stuff around the Himalayan regions.
Kinda scary what google can do actually.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Nigga, use Bower. It's based on NPM and it was made specifically to automate the creation and management of the JSON manifest for dependencies. Elegant af.

Code:
$ npm install request
+ [email protected]

Code:
},
No need to even use --save. It is saved by default. Just use --no-save if you want the dependency to not be saved to the JSON.

Bower works for non javascript code? This tool we wrote does some other stuff too like parsing git commit messages, finding jira tickets and creating a changelog for the release.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

Code:
$ npm install request
+ [email protected]

Code:
},

Isn't bower a front-end dependency manager? Plus, I had a bad experience with node. :sad:

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Isn't bower a front-end dependency manager? Plus, I had a bad experience with node. :sad:
It's written in a language that required somebody to write a book called "The Good Parts of Javascript" Yuck. JS.

gekko

Yes.

The niggas at Gopher Academy are creating a tool similar to what Dharma was saying.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Node does well in certain kind of projects. Small serverlets where one doesn't want to set up an entire server environment, or hardware/automation projects where you want to avoid using assembly language, it's a boon. Not suitable for data intensive applications.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles