The Glorious Army of Hind: The Indian Army in Pictures

SilentKiller

Country flag
BAR is M1919, so not issued in WWI. British MGs were Lewis and Vickers, neither of which look like MG in photo.

Is it a Chauchat?

Designed by John Moses Browning the weapon was first deployed in combat use by American forces in 1918; it was to see much further service during World War II
my guess was not on basis of the rifle they are holding but the dressup of indian soldiers.

any how this is what i found
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
take a look at rifle it look a lot similar and was used in both 1st and 2nd war.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Designed by John Moses Browning the weapon was first deployed in combat use by American forces in 1918; it was to see much further service during World War II
my guess was not on basis of the rifle they are holding but the dressup of indian soldiers.

any how this is what i found
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
take a look at rifle it look a lot similar and was used in both 1st and 2nd war.
I think you are right.

By the way, the photo info for the 2 Indian soldiers includes "MGCrewFlanders" so it is WWI.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/IndianArmyMGCrewFlanders1914-15.jpg/280px-IndianArmyMGCrewFlanders1914-15.jpg

The year of photo given as 1914-15 may be wrong if weapon is BAR M1918.

SilentKiller

Country flag
I think you are right.

By the way, the photo info for the 2 Indian soldiers includes "MGCrewFlanders" so it is WWI.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/IndianArmyMGCrewFlanders1914-15.jpg/280px-IndianArmyMGCrewFlanders1914-15.jpg

The year of photo given as 1914-15 may be wrong if weapon is BAR M1918.
Well, we were correct that pic is from world war 1 but not extactly sure of gun.
its could also be, its back portion looks similar but not front.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_M1909_Benet-Mercie_machine_gun

now am also confused....old stuff:confused:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Well, we were correct that pic is from world war 1 but not extactly sure of gun.
its could also be, its back portion looks similar but not front.
Hotchkiss M1909 Benet-Mercie machine gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now am also confused....old stuff:confused:
First World War.com - Encyclopedia - Hotchkiss Guns

Hotchkiss M1914 machine gun The French army's standard heavy tripod mounted machine gun throughout the war was the Hotchkiss 8mm M1914 machine gun. Although it proved reliable in use it was unquestionably heavy at 23kg (40kg with its mounting). Initially adopted in 1900 a number of models were produced until a gas-powered, air-cooled model was unveiled in 1914.

Hotchkiss with bipod:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles