Snipers & Sniper Tactics: Photo & Discussion..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I'd like to see a comparative analysis of VSS Vintorez and SVD Dragunov. I wonder if some of our Russian members who have used both these can comment.

VSS Vintorez

SVD Dragunov
vintores and svd are in different league.SVD is of long range and vintorez is for short range specially designed for urban conflicts and vintorez could be concealed.vintorez is of 9x39mm and could be fired in full auto plus it is suppressed .

Iamanidiot

Lt.Gen H.S Panag always bemoans that India has sharp shooters but no snipers

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Winslow Homer- The Sharpshooter on Picket Duty

Winslow Homer Civil War Art:

The Army of the Potomac - A Sharp-Shooter on Picket Duty

Winslow Homer is remembered for this image, perhaps, more than any other. It is the most collected, and most difficult to find, of all Winslow Homer Civil War prints. It is the November 15, 1862 Harper's Weekly leaf entitled, "The Army of the Potomac - A Sharp-Shooter on Picket Duty [from a pointing by W. Homer Esq.]". The image is popularly referred to simply as "Homer's Sharpshooter".

Winslow Homer- The Sharpshooter on Picket Duty

November 15, 1862 - The Sharpshooter on Picket Duty

The image shows a Union sharpshooter in a tree, with a telescopic rifle. The soldier has an intense look of concentration on his face as he draws a bead on what will no doubt become the next casualty of war.

While Homer gained fame for this illustration, we find that he was actually haunted by the image of the sharpshooter. In this fascinating letter Homer describes his recollections of sharpshooters with these words, "I was not a soldier but a camp follower & artist. The above impression [referring to his sketch] struck me as being as near murder as anything I ever could think of in connection with the army & I always had a horror of that branch of the service.
(The Army of the Potomac was the Union Army which opposed Gen. Robert. E. Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.)

Last edited:

veeveeaar

Why is that our Paramilitary and counter insurgency forces use snipers as a effective tool .Taking on high value insurgents can make a huge psychological impact

lemontree

Professional
Lt.Gen H.S Panag always bemoans that India has sharp shooters but no snipers
Unfortunate of him to say that.
During my time we were dropping targets on the LOC at over 1000 mtrs with LMGs (single fire mode), Dragnovs and .50 cal HMGs (single shot).
We even got a 14.5 mm Dishka fitted with a telescope and hit vehs on a road 3 km away.
(But only crazy officers like me did all this :D)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles