Rename India as Bharat, says Congress MP

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
May be for other it doesn't matter what is our name and many here too..

But as a Bharatiya aka Indian ( International recognized and accepted ) I like to call my country Bharat than India in my own country I hope to see the Name Bharat in official documents and work area so does in educational texts where Bharat name given priority over India..

Because, Bharat the name came from native people of this country where as India is not from native but some western invaders..

---------------------------------

Its not changing some thing which we dont need too, Just it should be clear this country name significant enough to reflect its past civilization..

This is my view only..

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
May be for other it doesn't matter what is our name and many here too..

But as a Bharatiya aka Indian ( International recognized and accepted ) I like to call my country Bharat than India in my own country I hope to see the Name Bharat in official documents and work area so does in educational texts where Bharat name given priority over India..

Because, Bharat the name came from native people of this country where as India is not from native but some western invaders..

---------------------------------

Its not changing some thing which we dont need too, Just it should be clear this country name significant enough to reflect its past civilization..

This is my view only..

For me I can care less.

Britain, Germany, France, Spain, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Philippines, Persia, America, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc are all names that didn't come from the indigenous people.

I can totally understand why Filipinos would want to change their country's name, because it was named after Spanish king.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Bharat is already official anways. But why eliminate India? Like some people want..

Just imagine trying to call China, "Zhongguo". Good luck.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Instead of "eliminating" the name India, we should focus on educating both ignorant Indians and non-Indians of the real meaning of the name "Arya". This name has been hijacked by the West and its distortion is a disgrace to Indian civilization.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India and Hindustan are etymologically linked from Sindhu. I have heard the term Hindu films refering to Bollywood by Portuguese. These are names given to foreigners to us, just like Hinduism.

The people who live here, have used Bharat .
You failed to understand my post and te context.

pmaitra

^^

I fail to understand this entire thread.

Heck, we have been publishing stamps like that below for ages. Rename X back to X?

Now, I don't want to go about currency notes.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
Hindu Republic of Bharat.

no more Hindustan or India......

we should declare our country as Hindu Rashtra Bharat and its a Hindu majority nation with almost 80%.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
^^

I fail to understand this entire thread.

Heck, we have been publishing stamps like that below for ages. Rename X back to X?

Now, I don't want to go about currency notes.
LOL :rofl:

I think the Hon'ble Member of Parliament only ever noted the denomination and the count while dealing in those wads of Currency Notes
never what was written on them except numerals.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
OMG, no. Should China rename it's name to Zhongguo? The name China has it's origins from India. Just like India has it's origins from the Greeks. So what??

The name India is a brand all around the world. It's a nation everyone knows.

India has 3 names. Bharat, Hindustan, India. South Americans, North Americans, etc don't need to know the name Bharat or Zhongguo. That's for the Chinese and Indians to know.

This isn't like changing the name of state.
For me I can care less.

Britain, Germany, France, Spain, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Philippines, Persia, America, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc are all names that didn't come from the indigenous people.

I can totally understand why Filipinos would want to change their country's name, because it was named after Spanish king.

Shit even the Greeks didn't come up with Greek/Greece. It came from the Romans, who conquered them..

And the nameof Rome/Romans didn't even come from the Romans. It came from the Greeks!

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Cheap tactic to get votes from RW by invoking RW voters !

IBSA

Country flag
I think so intricate to rename a country today.

In Brazil, during the '30 decade, some nationalist politicians wanted to rename the country for Pindorama, which means Palm-tree Land in Tupi language, and that was the way the Tupi-speakers natives tribes called their homeland. This because Brazil is also a foreign name given by the Portuguese due to the occurrence of Caesalpinia echinata, a tree popularly called Pau-Brasil (Brazilwood). There another two theories for the country's name, but both them indicates a foreign origin name.

But, except for nationalists' joy, changing a country name brings no another benefits. Commercially this can be bad, because people around world don't knows where stays Bharat, Zhongguo or Pindorama.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
These Parliamentarians really know how to waste time over trifles by creating controversies where none exist, just to be in the limelight.

Total buffoons!

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Let us put the issue to referendum in the next general election. We will find out how much of nationalism we have in all of our Bhartiya brothers and sisters.
We should not take dictation form these con-gress MP's in a million year. We haveto show them the door to retirement homes.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
The question is not to change it to Bharat, but to drop the name India.

I think it is not a bad idea to drop the name first in all govt. affairs and with time it will catch up even in the international arena.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
What is the difference between BHARAT and INDIA.........?

Who actually started calling or started using the phrase INDIA and when?

Please bring in some facts.....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles