Ramadan mubarak

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Young generation keeps Zohridaar tradition alive

Since the Nizam’s era, Zohridaars have been waking up denizens for Ramzan prayers and morning breakfast

Nikhila Henry | TNN

Hyderabad: “Ramzan ka Mahina Aaya Hai...Barkhat Ka Mahina Aaya Hai...Rozedaro Utho,” cries the soulful voice of God’s messenger, the ‘Sehri Uthanewaala’, walking the sleepy gullies of Hyderabad all alone, hours before dawn breaks. Generations of Zohridaars (as Sehri Uthanewalas are also known) have been waking up thousands of denizens for their Ramzan prayers and early morning breakfast, every year during the month of Ramzan, since Nizam’s times.

And the tradition continues to date, notwithstanding the advent of mobile phones and alarm clocks. Early every morning, it is the booming voice of the Zohridaar that wakes up the pious in many parts of the city, intriguingly kept alive by the young brigade of believers who do not want the age-old tradition to pass into history.

This Ramzan season, the wake up call is usually from a young and bold voice, the voice cutting through the night only to bring in the seasonal blessings. “Most of the elders are too old to carry on with the tradition and are worried that the tradition will soon die out. I stepped in only after I received a call from Allah to wake up people to participate in the purifying fast of the month,” says Mohammed Sherif, a 28-year-old Zohridaar who walks the sleepy streets of Mehdipatnam, singing his wake-up couplet. Sherif who has been leading a normal yet obscure life as fakir at Nampally Dargah till the commencement of this Ramzan season said that he is now known to all Muslim families in the locality.

In the wee hours of Thursday morning, Sherif walks the roads like he does everyday from 2.30 am to 4.30 am during Ramzaan. According to him, the act is appreciated by all in the locality. “Some people wake up and offer me food, though I gently reject. Even children recognise my voice and they smile knowingly when they find me talking to others at the Dargah during the day,” Sherif said.

According to residents, Ramzan without the Zohridaar’s call is incomplete. “My father used to have an attachment with all the Zohridaars of his time. Even now he does not set his alarm to wake up for prayers,” Md Yaseen, a resident of Vijayanagar Colony, said. He said that a part of the Zakat money is also kept aside for the welfare of Zohridaar.

The profession has attracted many who have regular employment during the rest of the year. “The act of waking up others on time instils some kind of discipline in you. Besides, I have sworn that I will do this job as an offering. There are many people like me who are young and well-to-do and who have joined the caller job,” says Rahil Imtiaz, a businessmanturned-Zohridaar.

Worried about the dwindling number of the callers, unions have been formed to protect their rights. “There are people who live in and around a mosque and many of them perform the duty of Zohridaars. Since they do not have any other means of income, the mosque committee provides for their living,” Imtiaz reveals.

Ask them more questions and the Zohridaars get restless. “I have to wake up more people,’’ says Sherif as he hops on to his bicycle to move to another street of Mehdipatnam, singing his familiar ‘Ramzan ka mahina’ couplet.

Mohammed Sherif

Article Window

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I was amazed to read this. The educated professional people doing this was amazing to know.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
This is news to me! Interesting read! Thanks Vinod!

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Is it ramzan or ramadan
Its neither actually. In arabic its pronounced differently, and the closest it sounds is Ramadan/Ramzan, hence its said so. Its like Allah, I mean if you hear the Arabs/Jews/Israelis Pronounce Allah, thats the original pronunciation, while in other parts of the world, Allah is pronounced slightly differently due to the diction there. Hope You understood.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Young generation keeps Zohridaar tradition alive

Since the Nizam’s era, Zohridaars have been waking up denizens for Ramzan prayers and morning breakfast

Nikhila Henry | TNN

Hyderabad: “Ramzan ka Mahina Aaya Hai...Barkhat Ka Mahina Aaya Hai...Rozedaro Utho,” cries the soulful voice of God’s messenger, the ‘Sehri Uthanewaala’, walking the sleepy gullies of Hyderabad all alone, hours before dawn breaks. Generations of Zohridaars (as Sehri Uthanewalas are also known) have been waking up thousands of denizens for their Ramzan prayers and early morning breakfast, every year during the month of Ramzan, since Nizam’s times.

And the tradition continues to date, notwithstanding the advent of mobile phones and alarm clocks. Early every morning, it is the booming voice of the Zohridaar that wakes up the pious in many parts of the city, intriguingly kept alive by the young brigade of believers who do not want the age-old tradition to pass into history.

This Ramzan season, the wake up call is usually from a young and bold voice, the voice cutting through the night only to bring in the seasonal blessings. “Most of the elders are too old to carry on with the tradition and are worried that the tradition will soon die out. I stepped in only after I received a call from Allah to wake up people to participate in the purifying fast of the month,” says Mohammed Sherif, a 28-year-old Zohridaar who walks the sleepy streets of Mehdipatnam, singing his wake-up couplet. Sherif who has been leading a normal yet obscure life as fakir at Nampally Dargah till the commencement of this Ramzan season said that he is now known to all Muslim families in the locality.

In the wee hours of Thursday morning, Sherif walks the roads like he does everyday from 2.30 am to 4.30 am during Ramzaan. According to him, the act is appreciated by all in the locality. “Some people wake up and offer me food, though I gently reject. Even children recognise my voice and they smile knowingly when they find me talking to others at the Dargah during the day,” Sherif said.

According to residents, Ramzan without the Zohridaar’s call is incomplete. “My father used to have an attachment with all the Zohridaars of his time. Even now he does not set his alarm to wake up for prayers,” Md Yaseen, a resident of Vijayanagar Colony, said. He said that a part of the Zakat money is also kept aside for the welfare of Zohridaar.

The profession has attracted many who have regular employment during the rest of the year. “The act of waking up others on time instils some kind of discipline in you. Besides, I have sworn that I will do this job as an offering. There are many people like me who are young and well-to-do and who have joined the caller job,” says Rahil Imtiaz, a businessmanturned-Zohridaar.

Worried about the dwindling number of the callers, unions have been formed to protect their rights. “There are people who live in and around a mosque and many of them perform the duty of Zohridaars. Since they do not have any other means of income, the mosque committee provides for their living,” Imtiaz reveals.

Ask them more questions and the Zohridaars get restless. “I have to wake up more people,’’ says Sherif as he hops on to his bicycle to move to another street of Mehdipatnam, singing his familiar ‘Ramzan ka mahina’ couplet.

Mohammed Sherif

Article Window
Here in Lahore they use "dhol" (drums) to wake you up :)

ahmedsid

Top Gun
In my state Kerala too its a dying practice, and they use small drums. I didnt know it was there in Hyderabad too, hence a bit surprised. And now its in Lahore too! hehehehe

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Here in Lahore they use "dhol" (drums) to wake you up :)
I somehow think the Hyderabad style is much more traditional.

Dhol sound in the morning at 4:00 AM! A person with a "soulful" voice sounds much better.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I somehow think the Hyderabad style is much more traditional.

Dhol sound in the morning at 4:00 AM! A person with a "soulful" voice sounds much better.
Same here, its much better!

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
In my state Kerala too its a dying practice, and they use small drums. I didnt know it was there in Hyderabad too, hence a bit surprised. And now its in Lahore too! hehehehe
Ahmed drums are also used in Istanbul :) In Lahore its not a dying practice :)

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Vinod Its the Telephone service or the Dhol nevertheless for Sehr u have to wake up yaar ;)

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Vinod Its the Telephone service or the Dhol nevertheless for Sehr u have to wake up yaar ;)
Agree. There are many ways now to make sure that one can get the wake up call.

This tradition was something I was not aware. To see even some professionals doing so was really surprising and even pleasant.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Agree. There are many ways now to make sure that one can get the wake up call.

This tradition was something I was not aware. To see even some professionals doing so was really surprising and even pleasant.
During Ranjit Singh's time it was his son Kharak Singh who used to wake up people by beating their windows. Kharak Singh kay Kharkney say Kharakti hain khirkia

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Iftar gives boost to inter-faith bonding

Non-Muslims are arranging Iftar at shops and mosques in the Old City

Bushra Baseerat | TNN

Hyderabad: Keeping the spirit of the composite culture of Hyderabad alive, members belonging to different faiths are serving Iftar to devout Muslims in the Old City. While the wafting aroma of haleem and attractive hues of clothing for the festive season are sure to catch the eye at every turn in this part of town, this gesture too cannot be missed.

Devout Muslims who are out shopping at this hot spot are often caught in a quandary as to where to break their day long fast, in the evening. This is where the non-Muslim shopkeepers are pitching in, to provide the evening snack of fruits and water when it’s time to break the fast. Owners of stores in the busy by-lanes of Patel Market and Madina, cutting across religious lines, are serving Iftar (the evening meal that Muslims break their fast) to their customers.

This arrangement is not only creating goodwill among the customers, wooing them to return because of the hospitality shown, but also has storekeepers pleased that they are earning some blessings for their ‘seva.’ The Old City which is normally teeming with shoppers all through the day and night in the month of Ramzan during the evening sees a small lull in the evening when the devout take time out for their Iftar and namaz. So by offering customers Iftar, savvy storekeepers ensure that customers do not have to leave their premises at this time.

“When outside, it becomes difficult for people to get water to break their fast. We have a daily allotment and accordingly we arrange the Iftar in front of our store. On the last Friday of the month, haleem is also served,” said Sumit Agarwal of Chimmanlal Suresh Kumar Textiles, at Patel Market. Not only customers, anybody midway to their destinations are welcome to drop in and break their fast, say shopkeepers.

Mosque management committees across the city also report a similar trend. Of the numerous people who send fruits and dates to the mosques for Iftar, quite a few are non-Muslims. “The mosque gets a good number of such people, who, as per their budget, drop in with dates and fruits for the rozedaars,” said Abdul Mannan, caretaker of the Mecca Masjid.

A store owner of a sari store near Madina has decided to start serving Iftar after the Ganesh immersion. “We have customers dropping in and as a ‘seva,’ we serve Iftar,” Lalit Kumar Agarwal of the store at Patthergatti, said.

While Mirza Amer Baig, of Khushi Designers on the Madina stretch, said, “It is considered very holy to serve Iftar to pious rozedaars. We like to serve people who are out in the market for shopping. We also have a separate arrangement for ladies on the first floor of our store,” Amer adds.

So terror threats and security arrangements notwithstanding, the aam aadmi in the Old City goes about demonstrating communal harmony in his own simple way.

FESTIVE FERVOUR: Shop owners arrange for Iftar for their employees as well as customers (top). Women are provided separate space (left)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles