R-73, R-77, R-27 and other Russian (AOA) Air-to- Air Missiles-(Details and Discussions)

Do you like Russian missiles?

• Да! i am a big fan of Russian Missiles!

• No I am not a fan of Russian air to air missiles.

• I don't what to say here:

• Other opinion

Results are only viewable after voting.

space marine

Country flag
Yup it was said earlier, nowadays no one mentions it.
I dont remember any contract signed between Rus and Ind for same.
Pretty sure India needs to master this tech. On her own very much required as we are facing 2 front situation on daily basis anytime it can go out of control.
I would be happy if we had some kind of arrangement as Russian are pretty good in ramjet and scramjets.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I am quoting an old Article here which seems to have some good amount of Information With regards to the R-77, so here is the Article:

Could Russia's R-77 Missile Crush the U.S. Air Force in a War?
The R-77 air-to-air missile, which will be the primary air-to-air armament of the upcoming Su-57, has had a troubled development compared to its American counterpart, the AIM-120 AMRAAM. Starting life in the 1980s as a Soviet developmental program aside the AMRAAM, its testing and development dragged on due to the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was only adopted in 1994, two years after the AIM-120’s first operational kill during Operation Southern Watch. However recently it has seen a revival, arming some Russian fighters operating over Syria. It also has seen considerable export success. Its manufacturer, JSC “Tactical Missiles Corporation” is now working on an upgraded version that is to arm the Su-57 that includes a new AESA seeker, a technology that has not been included on the AMRAAM (although the Japanese AAM-4B has one).

Technologically, the R-77 is an active-radar homing missile, meaning that the seeker itself has a small radar that sends out radar pulses to detect the target and then uses that information to home in on the target. The current R-77 and R-77-1 use mechanically directed doppler radar without AESA, while rumored future variants will use AESA, in which the radar beam can be electronically directed with greater precision and speed (the use of AESA does not preclude the use of mechanical direction; modern Russian radars have been seen with both). The missiles also possess inertial guidance. Aerodynamically, the R-77 is distinctive among air-to-air missiles in that it uses grid (lattice) fins, an innovation that greatly increases the surface area versus traditional fins. This allows the R-77 to maneuver at higher angles of attack. These fins are also foldable allowing the R-77 to be placed on internal missile bays of some aircraft. The R-77 also uses a laser proximity fuze, in contrast to the AIM-120, which uses a radar proximity fuze. The laser fuze is immune to ECM by design principle; however, the AIM-120’s fuze is said to be designed to be resistant to ECM as well.

Some good amount of info with regards to R-77 in here.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Interesting, that looks like a R-77 / RVV missile under the wing, a significant step-up from the pictures of years past during which the Sukhois on the Kaliningrad express still carried R-27s. Welcome to the age of active radar homing BVR missiles! #R77 #RVV #turpo=#säkpol

Super Flanker

Country flag
Do all R-73s in Service with IAF have 13 Digit serial Numbers on Them? Or do they have 12, 13, 14 etc Digit Serial numbers? Can someone please post some pictures of R-73s in Service with IAF?

Super Flanker

Country flag
bhai serial number ka kya karega. ye mat bolna k uska bhi analysis karna hain.
I wanted to see the Serial numbers of R-73s in Service with IAF so see how many Digits do they have because many people in India say that India uses R-73s with only 13 Digits. Look at these Images:
20220206_152757.jpg
20220206_152800.jpg

By the way these are Training Rounds of R-73.

Vikram314

Country flag
who are these "people" in india and what does it matter if it has 13 or 14 number serial number.

Super Flanker

Country flag
who are these "people" in india and what does it matter if it has 13 or 14 number serial number.
That is because I too am Curious to know about it. I want to Clearly if R-73s in Service with IAF use only 13 Digit serial number or not. I am curious.

Super Flanker

Country flag
then focus your curiosity on something useful.
See dude I need to know because I need to do some Analysis with regards to this. That is why I had asked. Anyways I will Try and Find Photos of R-73s in Service with IAF and see how many Digit serial numbers they have.

Super Flanker

Country flag
I have a question here with regards to R-73 Missiles of India. As we all know that India operates a large number of R-73s so is it true that R-73s are made in India by BDL (Bharat Dynamics Limited) under TOT?

Soldier355

Country flag
A pair of Su-35 fighters armed with R-73, R-77 short- and medium-range air-to-air missiles, as well as X-31P anti-radar missiles patrolled the airspace of Ukraine

Super Flanker

Country flag
k73-1-1.jpg

Picture of an R-73 on the Pylon of a Vietnamese SU-30/SU-27.

Some basic information about the missile :-The R-73 (NATO reporting name : AA-11 Archer) is a short-range air-to-air missile developed by Vympel NPO that entered service in 1984.

Wing commander Abhinandan had used an R-73 to shootdown an F-16 of PAF during the aerial skirmish of 27th February. Does anyone know about how far that F-16 was from the MIG-21 when R-73 was fired?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I have a question. What Material is used in making missiles like R-77, R-73, R-27? Metal? Steel? What grade and is such exact Material Available in India?
AAM are generally made from aluminium and its alloys, and titanium. The major concern is the strength-to-weight ratio of the material. Higher this ratio the better. On account of the high temperatures encountered by missiles flying at supersonic speeds and needs for lighter materials, newer materials are coming into usage. Fibre-reinforced plastics (FRP) like the carbon-carbon variety, graphite compounds, molybdenum, beryllium, etc.
Steel is generally avoided as it makes AAM heavy and less aerodynamic.
Silica Radome is used around target seeker. Body is made mainly of carbon-composites and glass-fiber with titanium frame. Thruster/engine is made of molybdenum alloy.
Also what are these red things covering parts of these Missiles called?View attachment 130844View attachment 130845
The are dust covers and also protect delicate components from physical damage.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I have a question here with regards to R-73 Missiles of India. As we all know that India operates a large number of R-73s so is it true that R-73s are made in India by BDL (Bharat Dynamics Limited) under TOT?
Never heard of any ToT with regards to R-73. BDL is though manufacturing ASRAAM in India under license.

Global Defence

Articles