Operation Shakti: 1998

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It will effect if the bomb explodes, If not than its ok..

Any Nuclear Explosion create nuclear fall out which effect any living organism in the direction the wind blows in upper atmosphere..

Fukushima Fallout..

Any explosion that close to our nation will effect us, regardless whose Nuke it is..

H.A.

So even with the BMD if the nuke enters our territory we are screwed.

BMD will only be effective if the nuke is destroyed outside the country borders, but then this raises another question will does the wind effect the radioactive material in any way can it blow the radioactive matter into a particular area....

Oracle

So even with the BMD if the nuke enters our territory we are screwed.

BMD will only be effective if the nuke is destroyed outside the country borders, but then this raises another question will does the wind effect the radioactive material in any way can it blow the radioactive matter into a particular area....
Missile defence have not progressed upto that level so as to be 100% accurate in intercepting ballistic missiles. And the point to note is the interceptor missile destroying the incoming missile before it detonates, then there is no radiation, hence zero risk. But if the missile explodes, then sure depending upon the wind speed and direction it would have its effects on all life forms.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Alright. Could you please do a write up when you have time to kill - as to the sequence a nuke follows right from mating the core to the missile, deployment, till it hits it intended target. Would be great.
Not a lot is known about Indian nuclear delivery mechanism. we have ever "openly" conducted a nuclear weapons launch drill. So no open source info on it. US nukes were/are on hair trigger ie warheads loaded on missiles and ready to fly. Just that the nuclear weapon is not armed till the codes are released and that's where the president comes into play who authorizes release of codes.

Actually I am a bit concerned about Indian nuclear response. It's alright to say we have missiles and we have warheads. But without a drill, how will it work we don't know. Particularly because we are a second strike force and that means we will launch after being nuked first. So when we are under the chaos of being under a nuclear attack, how will the whole system work to retaliate is anybody's guess unless we have conducted drills to validate te system just like we conduct drills of the other branches of the armed forces esp the army which has been conducting drills to validate cold start doctrine.

I have always said it does not make sense to me why the DRDO conducts launch for SFC for all the missiles inducted. It should be done by the SFC and under various scenarios. I mean we have heard many tests of tr SFC were postponed due to "weather" problems. We will not be able to delay a nuclear retaliation waiting for favorable weather.

For me though we have missiles and warheads, the credibility is confirmed only when drills are conducted. I mean we have to assemble the bombs first. Who all have the expertise for this and what if some of those are killed in the first strike? All those questioned will remain unanswered due to secrecy. I only pray and hope that those Incharge know their reponsibility and are competent.

H.A.

Missile defence have not progressed upto that level so as to be 100% accurate in intercepting ballistic missiles. And the point to note is the interceptor missile destroying the incoming missile before it detonates, then there is no radiation, hence zero risk. But if the missile explodes, then sure depending upon the wind speed and direction it would have its effects on all life forms.
As per my understanding, destroying a missile is by blowing it up, right?

So by that (the bold part) you mean that even if the whole missile explodes the Nuclear material will not be affected??? I doubt that....If the missile explodes it has to affect the nuclear material.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

So by that (the bold part) you mean that even if the whole missile explodes the Nuclear material will not be affected??? I doubt that....If the missile explodes it has to affect the nuclear material.

No it will not. I mean a good weapons design will not.

Oracle

No idea mate. Leaving it to guys having knowledge in this field.

DFI is missing on some very good posters/military professionals from US.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No idea mate. Leaving it to guys having knowledge in this field.

DFI is missing on some very good posters/military professionals from US.
Did you read that link, excerpt below

Now it is possible for an accident of some kind (a crash, fire, munition explosion, lightning strike, etc.) to destroy the integrity of the exclusion zone or the strong link and theoretically open the possibility of the detonation system being activated. To prevent this, there is one or more "weak links" is inserted into the detonation system inside the exclusion zone. These weak links will fail, rendering the weapon inoperable, when exposed to abnormal stresses (heat, acceleration forces, etc.) that are below the level that could possibly disrupt exclusion zone integrity.

Result - any accident that could circumvent the exclusion zone/strong link protections will disable the weapon by breaking the weak links first.

Oracle

Did you read that link, excerpt below

Now it is possible for an accident of some kind (a crash, fire, munition explosion, lightning strike, etc.) to destroy the integrity of the exclusion zone or the strong link and theoretically open the possibility of the detonation system being activated. To prevent this, there is one or more "weak links" is inserted into the detonation system inside the exclusion zone. These weak links will fail, rendering the weapon inoperable, when exposed to abnormal stresses (heat, acceleration forces, etc.) that are below the level that could possibly disrupt exclusion zone integrity.

Result - any accident that could circumvent the exclusion zone/strong link protections will disable the weapon by breaking the weak links first.
Yes, just read it. So basically the momentum with which the interceptor missile hits the incoming ballistic missile will render it useless, by forcing it's weak links to come into play, right? So no detonation, and hence no radiation.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

There are fail safe issues, BMD use nonexplosive kill vehicle which kill Nuke-warheads with kinetic energy..

Nuke are not triggered by contact but by electronic mechanism at certain altitude for max damage..

If you hit it with kinetic force it wont explode..

BMD have tow phase kill one exo atmospheric other in inter Atmospheric kill, If it destroyed in space its better..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes, just read it. So basically the momentum with which the interceptor missile hits the incoming ballistic missile will render it useless, by forcing it's weak links to come into play, right? So no detonation, and hence no radiation.
No detonation for sure.

Oracle

There are fail safe issues, BMD use nonexplosive kill vehicle which kill Nuke-warheads with kinetic energy..

Nuke are not triggered by contact but by electronic mechanism at certain altitude for max damage..

If you hit it with kinetic force it wont explode..

BMD have tow phase kill one exo atmospheric other in inter Atmospheric kill, If it destroyed in space its better..
This is the post I was looking for. :)

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Reading about the Shakti tests still gives me goosebumps and also an immense sense of pride.

As far as nuclear detonation sequence is concerned, it goes somewhat like this (for US only). As far as arming is concerned, Yusuf is right, it happens during the downward path of the projectile. However, its the circuits inside the missile which arm it judging the variables like acceleration due to gravity, altitude and hundreds of other internal and external variables. Here's a great paper.
Nuclear Weapons Arming and Fuzing

No, there is supposed to be no fallout. The hohlraum in a fusion device is designed to withstand the primary internal fission explosion, so there is little probability of it decimating from external KE imho.

Last edited:

trackwhack

In order to sustain a chain reaction the nuclear core has to first reach critical mass. For the core to reach critical mass the outer detonator must explode, compressing the plutonium core. For this to happen assembly needs to remain intact. If the ABM disturbs the fuel core or the detonator explosive arrangement, the core will not reach critical mass and a chain reaction cannot be sustained. For a warhead with no fail safe (weak link) it is likely that the arrangement remains intact and the warhead still detonates. But this scenario assumes that the detonator circuitry is not fried by the initial impact of the ABM. An ABM itself can be of two types - warhead based or Kinetic Kill. A warhead based ABM explodes in very close vicinity of the incoming missile. The shockwave or fragments are supposed to take out the missile and in the process disable the nuclear warhead too. However it is possible that the incoming missile is not completely destroyed and the warhead is active and only the missile is directionless. This could result in the warhead still detonating when the missile starts falling back. You must remember the interceptor is seeking to destroy a target that is much smaller that the original missile fired, after stage separation and hence a miss or low impact of the ABM detonation can result in this scenario. This is the reason why a Kinetic Kill vehicle is preferred. In Kinetic Kill the ABM hits the missile and does not just explode a charge in its vicinity. A direct hit at Mach x velocity will disintegrate the warhead and ensure that the core will not be in an arrangement to attain critical mass. It is very very unlikely that a warhead hit by a Kinetic Kill Vehicle will ever detonate. Almost 100 percent certain to fail.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
In order to sustain a chain reaction the nuclear core has to first reach critical mass. For the core to reach critical mass the outer detonator must explode, compressing the plutonium core. For this to happen assembly needs to remain intact. If the ABM disturbs the fuel core or the detonator explosive arrangement, the core will not reach critical mass and a chain reaction cannot be sustained. For a warhead with no fail safe (weak link) it is likely that the arrangement remains intact and the warhead still detonates. But this scenario assumes that the detonator circuitry is not fried by the initial impact of the ABM. An ABM itself can be of two types - warhead based or Kinetic Kill. A warhead based ABM explodes in very close vicinity of the incoming missile. The shockwave or fragments are supposed to take out the missile and in the process disable the nuclear warhead too. However it is possible that the incoming missile is not completely destroyed and the warhead is active and only the missile is directionless. This could result in the warhead still detonating when the missile starts falling back. You must remember the interceptor is seeking to destroy a target that is much smaller that the original missile fired, after stage separation and hence a miss or low impact of the ABM detonation can result in this scenario. This is the reason why a Kinetic Kill vehicle is preferred. In Kinetic Kill the ABM hits the missile and does not just explode a charge in its vicinity. A direct hit at Mach x velocity will disintegrate the warhead and ensure that the core will not be in an arrangement to attain critical mass. It is very very unlikely that a warhead hit by a Kinetic Kill Vehicle will ever detonate. Almost 100 percent certain to fail.
our ABM system uses two system first is the PAD/PDV which has Gimballed Directional Warhead,

(from my blog)
Defence World

these pics shows that missile will impact the enemy missile close it its proximity.

now even if enemy missile get pass it, AAD would come to play

before that i must say our missile defence is "Look-Shoot-Shot" system not "Look-Shoot-Look-Shoot".

so even if PAD/PDV is used after tracking, system will automatically use AAD missile for Kinetic Kill, even if enemy missile has any major part coming to us AAD will take care of it and if the enemy missile is destroyed them it will just self destruct.

here is graph of AAD

looks like enemy missile is destroyed after AAD dive down.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I can say one thing about the 1998 tests, that is when i seriously started watching news. Since then i never felt any pride to watch international news, all we saw was India and cow with slum. Nuclear bomb sure did put some eyes on India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles