No religion like "Hinduism;" worship of Gods not "religious purpose"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blank_quest

Country flag
No religion like "Hinduism" & worship of Hindu Gods is not "religious purpose"

The assessee trust was set up with the object of "worship of Lord Shiva, Hanumanji, Goddess Durga and maintaining of temple" and "to celebrate festivals like Shivratri, Hanuman Jayanti, Ganesh Uttasav, Makar Sankranti". It applied for a certificate under section 80G. S. 80G (5) provides that the trust should be established for a "charitable purpose". Explanation 3 to s. 80G provides that "charitable purpose" does not include a purpose which is of a "religious nature". S. 80G(5)(iii) also stipulates that the trust should not be expressed to be for the benefit of any particular religious community or caste. The CIT rejected the application on the ground that the assessee was set up for "religious" purposes. On appeal by the assessee to the Tribunal, HELD reversing the CIT:

The objects of the assessee is not for advancement, support or propagation of a particular religion. Worshipping Lord Shiva, Hanumanji, Goddess Durga and maintaining the temple is not advancement, support or propagation of a particular religion. Lord Shiva, Hanumanji & Goddess Durga do not represent any particular religion. They are merely regarded to be the super power of the universe. Further, there is no religion like "Hinduism". The word "Hindu" is not defined in any of the texts nor in judge made law. The word was given by British administrators to inhabitants of India, who were not Christians, Muslims, Parsis or Jews. Hinduism is a way of life.It consists of a number of communities having different gods who are being worshipped in a different manner, different rituals, different ethical codes. The worship of god is not essential for a person who has adopted Hinduism way of life. Therefore, expenses incurred for worshipping of Lord Shiva, Hanuman, Goddess Durga and for maintenance of temple cannot be regarded to be for religious purpose (Commissioner of Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments vs. Sri Lakshmindra Thirtha Swamiar 1954 SCJ 335 & T. T. Kuppuswamy Chettiar Vs. State of Tamil Nadu (1987) 100 LW 1031 followed).

http://skatax.files.wordpress.com/2...anch-committee-sanstan-vs-cit-itat-nagpur.pdf

:wave::laugh::laugh: .. give some views Now :D:cool2::rolleyes:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Re: No religion like "Hinduism" & worship of Hindu Gods is not "religi

In Germanic paganism, the indigenous religion of the ancient Germanic peoples that inhabited Germanic Europe, there were a number of different gods and goddesses. Germanic deities are attested from numerous sources, including works of literature, various chronicles, runic inscriptions, personal names, place names, and other sources. This article presents a comprehensive list of these deities.
List of Germanic deities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wodan heals Balder's wounded horse while three goddesses sit (the incantation names Sinthgunt sister of Sunna, and Frija sister of Wolla) while Balder watches.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Re: No religion like "Hinduism;" worship of Gods not "religious purpos

Well, I was born a Hindu, worshiped gods and goddesses till turned to all knowing teenage and stopped worshiping - but still remained a Hindu. Unlike some other religion I didn't stop being a Hindu in the eyes of fellow Hindus with whom I vigorously debated on the value of any religion and claimed my atheism. I was not termed as a traitor to my faith. That is the Hindu way.

While these arguments made by assessee were bogus, but there lies a little bit of truth. One doesn't have to worship the gods and goddesses to be a hindu. It is not must. One only has to have a faith in the Hindu way of life, which is at the core of every Hindu. The idea of Karma may not be clear to all the Hindus there are, but subconsciously they know that anyway, as the Hindu culture and lifestyle teaches us that. When I prayed to Devi Swaraswati for Knowledge, I didn't stop reading books as my parents made it sure that I know that only hardwork can get the goddess's blessing. So you see, worshiping a goddess is not only of showing your faith and respect, but is rather a way of focusing to your goal. There are many gods and goddesses, but it is whom you worship states what your goal is.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Thread Closed.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Too confusing!

Status