Naval ensign of India

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why are we still using english flag and putting our flag in corner ???

this is deeply insulting :yuck:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Well these are some subtle symbols that shows that India has not gone past her former colony mentality. It shows to those who genuinely wish to know and change it rather than those who turn eyes away from this and look away.

Not just Navy but:

ROYAL AIR FORCE

INDIAN AIR FORCE

ROYAL ARMY

(OBSERVE THE SWORD TYPE AND CROSSING)

INDIAN ARMY

This explains why we still have the "foreign-maal-is-heaven-and-we-are-poor-losers" mentality.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
While one can take umbrage to the George Cross, can one find any reason to find fault with having the same design?

By that token, we should also do away with the uniform designs, the style of badges of rank, the vehicle bridge classification, the formation sign, the tradition, the ethos, and everything.

The Pakistan Army I believe wears salwars and so what is wrong with dhotis by that token?

I am all for changes, but changes should not be just for change's sake!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Changing from pants to dhotis would cause change in performance but changing symbols will not affect performance.

I find it insulting we are using still using british symbols. Having swords as symbols which match british symbols is still fine but putting India flag in corner of st george flag is no no as far as im concerned. why not put whole Indian flag ?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
While one can take umbrage to the George Cross, can one find any reason to find fault with having the same design?

By that token, we should also do away with the uniform designs, the style of badges of rank, the vehicle bridge classification, the formation sign, the tradition, the ethos, and everything.

The Pakistan Army I believe wears salwars and so what is wrong with dhotis by that token?

I am all for changes, but changes should not be just for change's sake!

Sir ji, still symbolism plays a major role in the modern world and in any era. Pants and shirts cannot be changed due to operational difficulties for the troops and hence cannot be changed. But our ensign, our symbols, our emblems, our logos etc can definitely not have problems on actual troop inconvenience and rather show us as a more independent force.

In fact the Indian Coast Guard's ensign looks really nice as a replacement for the Navy's "british" flag. We could use a white version of that with Navy symbol and the Sanskrit motto in large bold writing. It would look stylish and unique.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
this is highly insulting to us and cleary shows that our armed forces mindset is still in the colonial era all thanks to nehru and his successors.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
It doesn't lack originality. St. George's flag has its vertical stripe perfectly centered.

Any sub-flag on the top-left corner of a flag depicts "master", it's not a bad thing, it's not that we're insulting ourselves with that flag. On the other hand, if you truly think that it's the English flag in there, it's in the subordinate position.

Look at Australia's national flag. The Union Jack is on the top-left signifying Australia's constitutional-monarch status. From a symbolic standpoint, Australia is seeking UK as its parent/master nation. If you apply the same logic with Indian Navy flag and take the subordinate portion of the flag as England flag, then India is the "master" part, and the cross is the "subordinate" part.

If there's anyone who needs to be pissed off with the Indian navy flag, it's BNP right-wingers in UK, not us.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles