Morality

Can Morality exist without a Supreme Force

• Total voters

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There are differences between temporary customs acceptable in some societies that come and go; And then there are Moralities which are applicable to all places/ all times/ all societies (edge cases in complicated scenarios are exceptions)
Give me some examples of moralities which are applicable to all places all times all societies, maybe I missed something.

Hijibiji

Country flag
Give me some examples of moralities which are applicable to all places all times all societies, maybe I missed something.
1) Don't cheat
2) Don't steal
3) Don't lie
4) Don't rape

Sri Krishna violated #1 and #3 in Mahabharata for greater good. BUT he was God Incarnated. And the scenarios were exceptional.

And when I say "All Societies", i don't mean that in the sense what those societies believe. I said that in the sense how Karma comes back to bite irrespective of personal beliefs. Law of Karma is universal.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
I usually categorize it with two classifications.

1. the particular individual
  2. The group he is involved with(might be religion,clan,country etc)
It might sound bit silly but imo both are connected with each other.

For example,gengiz khan might have had a quick death but his clan degraded into oblivion. No one cares or even know what happened to them.

But take Hinduism for example,even though it had faced many pogroms for most part it survived for thousands of years. We have no equivalent contemporary example to compare with that.

My point is,individual actions affect the group they are part of similarly the groups actions will affect the individuals.

Its a circle often repeated in the history.
His clan never degraded into oblivion.let alone, 1 in 200 men is direct descendent of Genghis Khan. That my friend is not a sign of failure.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
1) Don't cheat
2) Don't steal
3) Don't lie
4) Don't rape

Sri Krishna violated #1 and #3 in Mahabharata for greater good. BUT he was God Incarnated. And the scenarios were exceptional.

And when I say "All Societies", i don't mean that in the sense what those societies believe. I said that in the sense how Karma comes back to bite irrespective of personal beliefs. Law of Karma is universal.
Since we talking about universal morality here, if you look at majority of the European conquests in medieval Europe you will find atleast 3 of the 4 you have mentioned being inflicted during the conquests blessed by their clergy. they didn’t have any qualms about these.

Concept of karma is localised to indian subcontinent, not universal.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
Morality and ethics are principles rooted in plain simple economics. Life ends when we die and starts when sperms fertilizes the eggs. Everything else - heaven and hell is just in our brain. There is no supreme force, life has always been in your control and always will be. The moment you put it on auto pilot - it starts going down. As simple as that.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Morality and ethics are principles rooted in plain simple economics. Life ends when we die and starts when sperms fertilizes the eggs. Everything else - heaven and hell is just in our brain. There is no supreme force, life has always been in your control and always will be. The moment you put it on auto pilot - it starts going down. As simple as that.
And life never ends, if you include all living creatures into the equation. we eat other life during our lifetime, other life use us as sustenance after we die.

This applies to all living creatures on earth.

The most near perfect example of a zero sum game on this planet.

Hijibiji

Country flag
Since we talking about universal morality here, if you look at majority of the European conquests in medieval Europe you will find atleast 3 of the 4 you have mentioned being inflicted during the conquests blessed by their clergy. they didn’t have any qualms about these.

Concept of karma is localised to indian subcontinent, not universal.

Saar,
Blessing of clergy don't count much if the Collective Destiny as determined by Laws of Karma goes against a country or race or region.

Concept of Karma has now become restricted in Indian Subcontinent BUT The Laws of Karma still operate all over the world. Just as Newton's 3rd Law of Motion operates all over the world.
People may or may NOT believe or accept a Concept BUT the Natural Laws can be verified.

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
Not a valid question!!!

Fact is both good and bad won't exist without Supreme force / God.

Fact is God is amalgamation of all emotions, from pity, remorse, regret to greed, perversion, brutality.

Every creature on this earth comes with pie chart of all known emotions. It's ingrained in different amounts in each individual. And that's how you define a good person from bad.

Concept of god evolved because his presence was felt by humans. But we only want to associate good things with God, but reject wrongs as Karma or our independent path inspite of having his blessings to all deeds in the world.

Your life decisions and choices are extrapolation of amount of emotions in yourself. So no one realizes that he/she is acting as per his predefined fate.

No emotion or behavior can exist without Supreme force, not just morality, so i voted others.

Hijibiji

Country flag
Not a valid question!!!

Fact is both good and bad won't exist without Supreme force / God.

Fact is God is amalgamation of all emotions, from pity, remorse, regret to greed, perversion, brutality.

Every creature on this earth comes with pie chart of all known emotions. It's ingrained in different amounts in each individual. And that's how you define a good person from bad.

Concept of god evolved because his presence was felt by humans. But we only want to associate good things with God, but reject wrongs as Karma or our independent path inspite of having his blessings to all deeds in the world.

Your life decisions and choices are extrapolation of amount of emotions in yourself. So no one realizes that he/she is acting as per his predefined fate.

No emotion or behavior can exist without Supreme force, not just morality, so i voted others.
Such a beautiful post is written by someone with username Absolut_Vodka. This is the beauty of Dharma. :)

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Our actions are our karma = it's always our responsibility to try to be moral and right. According to hindu scripts god can show you the path but it's our wish to follow it or not.

Be it any century or time period when a person do something wrong there is always some kind of guilt which stays inside him regardless if that thing is accepted by the society or not.

If you compare mortality/dharma it's the wish of human to follow it. Humans have free will to do that

Assassin 2.0

Country flag

This nigga.
This absolute nigga.
Is the Reason why this thread even exists.

This nigga right here is Gengiz Khan.

He has killed millions of Men, women and Children all innocent some maybe not.
He has raped hundreds of women.
Killed hundreds of Infant children.

He lived for 65 years, fel of a horse and died (quick detah)

He didn't get punsished or anything.

He didn't even suffer.

He got away with everything.
Why do you think that God will come on earth to stop him?
Even in mahabharata krishana never used weapons never saved people from destruction. It's the self continuous of humans to stand against evil if someone is killing a baby in front of you it's your responsibility to stand against it.

Sins of any being will be decided on the basis of both good deeds and wrong one's even dhuryodhun spend some time in heaven because of his loyalty towards friendship and bravery at battle field.

Stop asking god to deliver justice.

Hijibiji

Country flag
Our actions are our karma = it's always our responsibility to try to be moral and right. According to hindu scripts god can show you the path but it's our wish to follow it or not.

Be it any century or time period when a person do something wrong there is always some kind of guilt which stays inside him regardless if that thing is accepted by the society or not.

If you compare mortality/dharma it's the wish of human to follow it. Humans have free will to do that
There YOU went close to Advaita Vedanta. Atheists can NOT reach there in the same way.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
We all are going gaga over different perspective, but the first question which arises is "Whether God exists or not ?" Pehle ye to tay kar lo :rofl: morality is there in the society for sure, but is there any God ?

Hijibiji

Country flag
We all are going gaga over different perspective, but the first question which arises is "Whether God exists or not ?" Pehle ye to tay kar lo :rofl: morality is there in the society for sure, but is there any God ?
There we have severe disagreements with Modern Atheists in the end phase of Kali Yuga. BUT if someone looks at the long term chart of Spirituality in India, God existed unchallenged for >95% of our history. So the Theists have better chart and better stats in that dept :D

BUT even in end phase of kali yuga, Atheists still could NOT win; so, when Kali Yuga ends, Atheism will also end ;)

A chauhan

Country flag
There we have severe disagreements with Modern Atheists in the end phase of Kali Yuga. BUT if someone looks at the long term chart of Spirituality in India, God existed unchallenged for >95% of our history. So the Theists have better chart and better stats in that dept :D

BUT even in end phase of kali yuga, Atheists still could NOT win; so, when Kali Yuga ends, Atheism will also end ;)
OK chalo maan liya, but what if there is no God? Morals still exist. There are some atheist characteristics in the Hinduism.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
In theory yes. Practically I don’t know. Without the support of a robust faith in some kind of supreme force driving the universe morality tends to melt away. If there is no supreme force then the world is just absurd. Fighting the absurdity is quite a surhuman task.
In theory old relics claim that supreme being have tangled humans in maya ( love emotions etc) to maintain influence maybe to maintain sanity.

In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna tells Arjuna, "The Supreme dwells in the heart of all beings revolving them all by His mysterious power, Maya." The Supreme, however, does not control living entities as a puppeteer controls puppets. The control is through a subtle mechanism that works under material nature (prakriti). The Gita says, "Everywhere, in all the material universes, the dispositions of nature ^ gunas of prakriti ^ perform all works. But deluded by egoism, man thinks, 'i am the doer'."

A chauhan

Country flag
Saar,
Please share your knowledge about that for us :)
Itna knowledge nahi hai sir ji 😅, I can just point out at mimansas and Nasdiya Sukta which is part of Rigved, these talk about non-existence of God and are our religious philosophies.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
1) Morality is it necessary.
Depends upon the definition of morality in that particular society and context.

Whether the morality is defined by values (traditions) or ethics (just few "good" and humane things I can list), has a role to play.

If this morality somewhere is defined as dropping your love affair for your parents will to tie you into an arrange marriage, damn it.

Ethics would spin around "what's right" and its definitions too keep changing per context e.g. whether death sentencing a murderer is moral or not or doing work of another employe of my company.
The context here is about
  1. Empathy (having habit to feel about someone).
  2. Self motivation to keep society "normal" (balanced system is good for any system. A moral guy is someone who takes responsibility on own).
2) Who Decides what's morale.
Per above.
3) Can Morality exist without god.
It can't exist with God itself. If followed with fear of God, it is not morality but an imposed law.

Read about Maslow's theory of motivation.

And you don't need be a billionaire to be this moral. If sastsified their life, people start to actualise themselves and donate to society at middle income level.
4) Do u believe in the concept of "Jiski lathi uski bhais".
I do. Though "confirming" something as a reality and embracing/not embracing same are two different things.

Hope it helps.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
It doesn't necessarily go down but you become an NPC and outsource your own programming to other institutions which will try to insert codes through various methods to serve their needs and if the actions you take based on those codes result in consequences which are bad or good (also depends on your definition which I am not imposing but I am recommending evolutionary survival) then they are so.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles