Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

abingdonboy

Country flag

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
Why did the IA never follow up with orders for ACH? Still using model 1974s for what reason?
They issued RFIs for ‘advanced’ helmets which has gone the way of every RFI…

why is this army unable to order enough to meet their requirements on anything? Everything is piecemeal
Because the ACH didn't fulfill the requirements. They were found inadequate against the hard steel core and enhanced performance rounds in J&K. As a stopgap measure they were fitted with ceramic add on plates (all or some I don't know). Therefore the army had recieved a RFI to purchase new ballistic helmets

vidhwanshak

Country flag
Because the ACH didn't fulfill the requirements. They were found inadequate against the hard steel core and enhanced performance rounds in J&K. As a stopgap measure they were fitted with ceramic add on plates (all or some I don't know). Therefore the army had recieved a RFI to purchase new ballistic helmets
AFAIK, ACH fulfilled the requirement.
Later, they changed the RFP.

Army should understand good quality comes with the price.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
AFAIK, ACH fulfilled the requirement.
Later, they changed the RFP.

Army should understand good quality comes with the price.
They may have fulfilled the requirements at trials, but failed to protect against steel core bullets in JK, which is why some went back to the patka, some mixed the ACH and patka

abingdonboy

Country flag
Were they spec’d to stop steel core rounds in the first place? Never.

until recently most helmets on the market were only designed to stop 9mm rounds

i guess the model 1974 with 0 ballistic protection is fine though

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

1974 fiber helmets you will find them in 2040s toos at the speed we are going absolutely sad state of affairs especially when you have world class companies producing them here in ur own backyard gives you 0 excuse to use those in 2023.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag

You have the 2016 RFI? And why should the army order something which they found inadequate for their requirements with extra add ons when they can get what they want from the market?

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
You have the 2016 RFI? And why should the army order something which they found inadequate for their requirements with extra add ons when they can get what they want from the market?
Ok agreed they found them indequate but that was 2016 right? Now is 2023 that too is about to end when mku like industry giant is here in your country that is exporting to alot of Nations and you can't even replace ur old helmets after 2016 that shouldn't be exceptable.

vidhwanshak

Country flag
They may have fulfilled the requirements at trials, but failed to protect against steel core bullets in JK, which is why some went back to the patka, some mixed the ACH and patka
You are correct.
ACH(MKU helmets that were inducted) was never meant to stop AK-47 bullets let alone steel core bullets.
I wonder why it was even selected when we know the adversaries on both the fronts don't use 9mm as their standard issue.

Anyways, my comment about the price and quality still stands.
In 2021 Army issued RFP regarding new helmets and still they haven't choosen one.

There are so many options available indegeniously as well as globally.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Yaar pehli ye koi batao that why the helmet worn by our guys in.russia has matching camouflage cover with the new uniform while the ones in the usa are using old brushstroke cover on the their helmet .

Kumaoni

Why did the IA never follow up with orders for ACH? Still using model 1974s for what reason?
They issued RFIs for ‘advanced’ helmets which has gone the way of every RFI…

why is this army unable to order enough to meet their requirements on anything? Everything is piecemeal
What puzzles me is how they still haven’t standardized the Patka. Some chaps prefer patka, which is okay.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
What puzzles me is how they still haven’t standardized the Patka. Some chaps prefer patka, which is okay.
But why our guys in Russia have a matching helmet camo while those in usa don't ?
How much heartburn is there for us.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles