Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
One question: Why do modern helmets not feature nets?
Nets like these:-

Instead, they are plain and the silhouette is not broken by tufts entangled in the net (like in above).

Is it 'cause of the digital camouflage?
But then what about this:-

No net despite no digital camo. (Ignore the Rooskie on the left)

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
One question: Why do modern helmets not feature nets?
Nets like these:-

Instead, they are plain and the silhouette is not broken by tufts entangled in the net (like in above).

Is it 'cause of the digital camouflage?
But then what about this:-

No net despite no digital camo. (Ignore the Rooskie on the left)
Is that Russian troop on left.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its not DRDO or Private but Indian Army itself, Their are various types out there produced by various firms ..

==============

Some of them are pure composite and some are pure metal and some are special light metal with trauma padding.

Fully metal then just thought was there something special about Patka other than design which help it survive a 7.62*51MM Round or 39MM Drdo always add some sort of Indianess In their products like by using special composites and I didn't meant that kanchan armor is used in Patkas

charlie

Country flag
The frequencies in the comm. devices will be controlled by algorithms rather than hardware. it will enable the comm. devices to send data instead of just voice. data could also mean encrypted video .shape of the comm. devices will probably remain more or less the same as legacy systems. Primarily this is a move towards net centric capability.

View attachment 13043

View attachment 13044

for the purpose of this discussion, once SDR are adopted, soldiers should be able to send realtime video feed from their helmet cams. UAV and Chopper will be able to send the surveillance feed directly to soldier and not just the controller.

RFI :
http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/RFI/506/rfisig5.pdf

My opinion would differ when you say " devices will probably remain more or less the same as legacy systems" (GD doesn't run the show anymore)
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worl...ns-land-communications-tactical-radios/mbitr2
Actually things are changing in US, all the bases are covered with LMR P25 system as well as foreign bases are also covered P25 system.

Military radio are pretty dumb in nature, not as good as P25. The problem is technician in the military are not smart enough to maintain complex P25 radio system, but LMR is encroaching in that domain too. (military personal are hired at young age and are trained to do work)

https://www.harris.com/solution/harris-falcon-iii-rf-900p-tactical-land-mobile-radio-lmr

Only the GD Military radio were bulky (in US market) and they had kind of monopoly all these years as they were the major contributor when it comes to SWR (they were quite robust too), But things changed now almost all the contracts are won just by one company that I work for. Our Military radio are less bulky and that too battery is 50 % of the radio size. Moreover lithium Ion battery will make it more smaller in coming years. Even the Rifleman contract was won by our company. GD radios belong in one place that is garbage bin. Hell even all the aircraft carriers have our radio system in them.

One funny instance in Afghanistan was there are lots of comm issues in the mountain region, so GD was testing a solution through one of my colleagues who joined our firm but at that time he was with US army back in 2011.

GD put an antenna on a drone and they were testing that a few years later our firm came with a drone in 2014 small enough that you can throw it by hand and it keep flying overhead and will maintain communication in harsh mountainous terrain.

some inside news of how future is gonna look.

Sending data is a really old thing at-least for the US Military, Now they are moving into In-band gps capability with that tech you can send your geo location when you PTT using voice and not through data.

The evolution of P25 system radio for the company I work for. Left side is the oldest and right side the most advance radio in the world with In band gps,LTE, Wifi, channel colour change, last 10 conversation recorded you name it it's there and they pitched that radio in India too.

Indian requirement of radios is radio 6,00,000 to 7,00,000 for CRPF and some other government agency.

for Encryption don't need to anything on the radio apart from the key but you need infrastructure at core level like key manager, key loader.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-SE...624778?hash=item28282b668a:g:UDgAAOSwo4pYbPng

I know you can do over the air rekeying and over the air programming too but you still need a key loader to manually enter a key for the first time.

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
Rs 1,000 cr order: Good news for armymen, trials for bullet-proof jackets set to start
After a long delay, the army headquarters has set February-end for trials for around Rs 1,000-crore “light-weight modular jackets’’ for its soldiers. Highly-placed sources told FE, “After completing pre-trials in November 2016, samples of the bullet-proof jackets of five private-sector companies, including Kanpur-based MKU Private, Tata Advanced Materials, SM Group, Star Wire and ARP, bidding for one of the largest orders in play will be going for trials.” After cancelling several RfPs since 2011, the army is sending the jackets for trials based on the parameters specified in the RfP issued in April 2016. “The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) had accorded acceptance of necessity (AoN) in October 2009 for procurement of 3,53,765 bullet-proof jackets , including quantity 1,86,138, to be procured in the 11th Army Plan. The request for proposal (RFP) was issued to 36 vendors on 3.3.2011, but had to be retracted on 8.12.2011 to address issues in respect of conduct of trials,” said Manohar Parrikar said in a statement in 2016. After a long delay, the army headquarters has set February-end for trials for around Rs 1,000-crore “light-weight modular jackets’’ for its soldiers. Highly-placed sources told FE, “After completing pre-trials in November 2016, samples of the bullet-proof jackets of five private-sector companies, including Kanpur-based MKU Private, Tata Advanced Materials, SM Group, Star Wire and ARP, bidding for one of the largest orders in play will be going for trials.” After cancelling several RfPs since 2011, the army is sending the jackets for trials based on the parameters specified in the RfP issued in April 2016. “The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) had accorded acceptance of necessity (AoN) in October 2009 for procurement of 3,53,765 bullet-proof jackets , including quantity 1,86,138, to be procured in the 11th Army Plan. The request for proposal (RFP) was issued to 36 vendors on 3.3.2011, but had to be retracted on 8.12.2011 to address issues in respect of conduct of trials,” said Manohar Parrikar said in a statement in 2016. As an “interim emergency acquisition” through the “revenue route” last March, the government had placed an order to purchase 50,000 new bullet-proof jackets from Tata Advanced Materials after a delay of more than 10 years. So far, 5,000 jackets have been delivered. The modern light-weight jackets, based on the Indian Army’s new technical specifications, are meant to adequately protect the head, neck, chest, groin and sides of soldiers. These are also expected to provide greater agility to soldiers during counter-insurgency operations in difficult, “unfriendly” terrain. The Kanpur based MKU, one of the contenders for the jackets, has recently been contracted to manufacture ballistic helmets-with 13 mm trauma protection pads — 1.58 lakh helmets in a deal worth R170 crore for Indian Army soldiers. The company is expected to deliver the new helmets within three years. The new helmets are designed to bear the impact of 9 mm ammunition fired from a short range. This meets the global standard for protection among leading armed forces. They are also designed to be comfortable and many of them can be integrated with communications devices.
http://idrw.org/rs-1000-cr-order-good-news-for-armymen-trials-for-bullet-proof-jackets-set-to-start/

WolfPack86

Country flag
50,000 bullet-proof jackets procured for Indian Army
The Indian Army has procured 50,000 bullet-proof jackets in the past two years and 186,138 more vests were in the process of being purchased from an Indian manufacturer, the Lok Sabha was informed on Friday.

Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre in a written reply told the house that bullet-proof jackets were being provided to soldiers as per the laid down specifications and authorisation.

"The procurement of these jackets for the authorised quantity as per Annual Provisioning Review is an on-going process. In the past two years, 50,000 (such jackets) have been procured for the Indian Army," the minister said.

http://www.defencenews.in/article.aspx?id=250271

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
DNA : After Waiting For Decades, Army Jawans To Finally Get Their First Modern Helmet

Abbe I saw part of this while having my dinner today. They were badmouthing the Patka and saying how MKU helmets offer superior ballistic protection. In chutiye reporters ko ye dikhao:-
Its not DRDO or Private but Indian Army itself, Their are various types out there produced by various firms ..

==============

Some of them are pure composite and some are pure metal and some are special light metal with trauma padding.

I consider DNA to be a step above other private hindi news channels, but its still disappointing when they don't research stuff.

abingdonboy

Country flag
DNA : After Waiting For Decades, Army Jawans To Finally Get Their First Modern Helmet

Is anyone able to provide a breif outline of what was said in this video? They kept showing that black helmet with rails, NVG mount and comms intergrated but is this the spec the IA's helmets will be?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Is anyone able to provide a breif outline of what was said in this video? They kept showing that black helmet with rails, NVG mount and comms intergrated but is this the spec the IA's helmets will be?
What they said was:-

IA to get new helmets

Bla bla bla

New helmet provides superior protection to neck and ear

bla bla bla

its good news for soldiers

bla bla bla

Zee news is the best

bla bla bla!!

abingdonboy

Country flag
What they said was:-

IA to get new helmets

Bla bla bla

New helmet provides superior protection to neck and ear

bla bla bla

its good news for soldiers

bla bla bla

Zee news is the best

bla bla bla!!
LOL bro!

No specifics? No mention of which helmet exactly?

abingdonboy

Country flag
@abingdonboy

They are working on ACH and will supply them in next few years.

Commanders helmet will only have the comm set extra..nothing said about rails.
Next few years? I would expect intial deliveries for such simple products within months of the dela being signed (which it already has been). TATA is providing all 50,000 plate carriers to the IA within 6 months of being given the deal.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Next few years? I would expect intial deliveries for such simple products within months of the dela being signed (which it already has been). TATA is providing all 50,000 plate carriers to the IA within 6 months of being given the deal.
Bro,He said this design helmet was active since 1980 but the existing performance requirement matches the US ACH helmet from the 2000s or a little better.

The next level ECH helmets design is being worked on and will be provided to the IA in the future like 1 year.

Sorry for the typo regarding ech.I am just waking up. :lol:

Scrutator

LOL bro!

No specifics? No mention of which helmet exactly?
I see you're linguistically challenged :)
No worries bro!!

Salient points:
- Current patkas are heavy and don't provide adequate protection. 23% of soldiers die of head injuries
- The helmets supplied are of the US Army's 'Advanced combat helmet' standard (created in early 2000s) - helmets made of ballistic fiber
- Helmet can take an impact from a 9mm from 20m distance.
- The commanders get a slightly different helmet than the jawans. The main difference being, the commander's helmet comes with capability for communication devices.
- The company is currently working on the US Army's 'Enhanced combat helmet' standard - helmets made of thermoplastics (not sure if they're doing this for the Indian Army or for the international markets though!)

The rest is completely dumbed down (useless) explanation of the manufacturing process - like....this is cut, this is moulded etc.

charlie

Country flag
No worries bro!!

Salient points:
- Current patkas are heavy and don't provide adequate protection. 23% of soldiers die of head injuries
- The helmets supplied are of the US Army's 'Advanced combat helmet' standard (created in early 2000s) - helmets made of ballistic fiber
- The commanders get a slightly different helmet than the jawans. The main difference being, the commander's helmet comes with capability for communication devices.
- The company is currently working on the US Army's 'Enhanced combat helmet' standard - helmets made of thermoplastics (not sure if they're doing this for the Indian Army or for the international markets though!)

The rest is completely dumbed down (useless) explanation of the manufacturing process - like....this is cut, this is moulded etc.
US army is providing each and every soldier with a rifleman radio, I think it's necessary in today's warfare scenario.

Scrutator

US army is providing each and every soldier with a rifleman radio, I think it's necessary in today's warfare scenario.
I think the wiring for the comm device could be retrofitted onto the soldier's helmet too at a later time. The company commander getting a helmet fitted comm device is a good start for now....well, everyone getting a decent helmet an awesome start...

Scrutator

No worries bro!!

Salient points:

@abingdonboy

Not sure why they didn't go for the ECH standard directly!! It's made of Dyneema; most new ballistic vests, armored vehicles are now made of Dyneema!! Dyneema is much much stronger than Kevlar (that's used in ACH helmets)!

I can vouch for Dyneema with my life!! I rock/ice climb; changed all my nylon slings for Dyneema few years ago! They're extremely light and unbelievably strong!!!

One of the advantages of delaying induction of something is that one can leap frog technologies. As much as I admire the fact that the jawans are getting better helmets, I feel that they'll be obsolete as they're inducted!!!

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
@abingdonboy

Not sure why they didn't go for the ECH standard directly!! It's made of Dyneema; most new ballistic vests, armored vehicles are now made of Dyneema!! Dyneema is much much stronger than Kevlar (that's used in ACH helmets)!

I can vouch for Dyneema with my life!! I rock/ice climb; changed all my nylon slings for Dyneema few years ago! They're extremely light and unbelievably strong!!!

One of the advantages of delaying induction of something is that one can leap frog technologies. As much as I admire the fact that the jawans are getting better helmets, I feel that they'll be obsolete as they're inducted!!!
Could be the cost and the ECH is yet to be developed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles