MMRCA 2.0: News & Discussions

AmoghaVarsha

Country flag
Capability wise F15 EX will make sense.

But do we have the finances?

Secondly can we trust US equipment? They come with strings attached.

Third will so many different fighters make sense?

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Not really, even super sukhoi standard doesnt have the electronic capabilities that the EX boasts..
Yup, Russian radar and EW tech has fallen far behind the west. Even their air to air missiles are not as sophisticated as the latest western AAM's. 10 years ago, our Su 30MKI's were better than any f 15 variant, and the Americans were intimidated by it in Red flag and Cope India. Now the latest f 15's, heck even the latest F 16's, can cause a LOT of trouble to our Sukhoi's in BVR combat. That's the reason the IAF is so keen on Rafale. They can see this technological gap, and want a modern western righter ASAP. We can only hope that the super sukhoi upgrade brings back the edge to our MKI's. (Or at least keep it up to date).

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
Yup, Russian radar and EW tech has fallen far behind the west. Even their air to air missiles are not as sophisticated as the latest western AAM's. 10 years ago, our Su 30MKI's were better than any f 15 variant, and the Americans were intimidated by it in Red flag and Cope India. Now the latest f 15's, heck even the latest F 16's, can cause a LOT of trouble to our Sukhoi's in BVR combat. That's the reason the IAF is so keen on Rafale. They can see this technological gap, and want a modern western righter ASAP. We can only hope that the super sukhoi upgrade brings back the edge to our MKI's. (Or at least keep it up to date).
Yes, east or west doesn't matter. What matters who is selling the latest reliable technology at a reasonable cost.

So, I am curious which one is more advanced & lethal f15 ex or the latest version of f18?

Indrajit

Country flag
Yes, east or west doesn't matter. What matters who is selling the latest reliable technology at a reasonable cost.

So, I am curious which one is more advanced & lethal f15 ex or the latest version of f18?
I
F15 EX is much bigger than either the SH or the Rafale, can carry much bigger payloads. It’s similar in weight to the Su30 , can carry 22 air to air missiles and supposedly has a unit cost (Boeing projected) of $80 million.

Last edited:

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
It’s much bigger than either the SH or the Rafale, can carry much bigger payloads. It’s similar in weight to the Su30 , can carry 22 air to air missiles and supposedly has a unit cost (Boeing projected) of $80 million.
f15ex or f18? Sorry I didn't understand.

Indrajit

Country flag
f15ex or f18? Sorry I didn't understand.

The F15 EX is what I was referring to. I mentioned it’s much bigger than the SH (F18). It’s similar in weight to the Su30, it’s a heavy fighter, the F18 and the Rafale are medium class fighters.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
The F15 EX is what I was referring to. I mentioned it’s much bigger than the SH (F18). It’s similar in weight to the Su30, it’s a heavy fighter, the F18 and the Rafale are medium class fighters.
But do we need such heavy fighters? Heavy fighters also mean that it will have high RCS.

abhay rajput

Country flag
I
F15 EX is much bigger than either the SH or the Rafale, can carry much bigger payloads. It’s similar in weight to the Su30 , can carry 22 air to air missiles and supposedly has a unit cost (Boeing projected) of $80 million.
Be as that may be I heard that Saudi brought f15 at 292 million dollars per aircraft.. Rafale will be cheaper . But IAF is gonna go with Rafale if they do offer engine tot..
Remember guys this is the last foreign aircraft that we will buy and because of this reason TOT is more important than capabilities..
It's a mess

ashdoc

Country flag
F 15 is heavier than sukhoi , nor just similar .

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I
Cost doesn't lie with the fly away cost only. An A/C's cost depends upon the weapons to be bought alongwith support structure to be built. Rafale deal cost so much because India had to build a full support structure for it. Also a heavy fighter always comes with more operational cost. It has more moving parts, more weight, larger engine and simply IAF should not go for luxury of mainatining ~400 heavy fighter fleet. It would bankrupt IAF.

MonaLazy

Heavy fighters also mean that it will have high RCS.
Boeing did attempt to create a reduced RCS version of the Strike Eagle- but that did not find any takers. Then they doubled back and leveraged its core strengths - gave it the largest AESA fighter radar of any US fighter, strengthed the airframe with 13000+ kg payload and 15+ hardpoints for A2G.

The key idea in the aerial battle these days is look first, shoot first (whatever generation the fighter is). The F-15 does not try to hide, rather it tries to seek out the enemy first with a hugely powerful radar and put the adversary out with an enormous array of long range BVR/stand off weapons.

credits to brar_w on BRF, further reading here.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Why people are dreaming over f15 here ..? We can't afford Rafale which is certainly cheaper than f15 and you guys are thinking that we can buy 114 f15 lol.. this competition is going to be reduce from 114 aircraft because we don't have budget like previous times ..

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
Why people are dreaming over f15 here ..? We can't afford Rafale which is certainly cheaper than f15 and you guys are thinking that we can buy 114 f15 lol.. this competition is going to be reduce from 114 aircraft because we don't have budget like previous times ..
Indeed its way much costlier. If US has to be the buyer then we should definitely go for f18.

ashdoc

Country flag
Boeing did attempt to create a reduced RCS version of the Strike Eagle- but that did not find any takers. Then they doubled back and leveraged its core strengths - gave it the largest AESA fighter radar of any US fighter, strengthed the airframe with 13000+ kg payload and 15+ hardpoints for A2G.

The key idea in the aerial battle these days is look first, shoot first (whatever generation the fighter is). The F-15 does not try to hide, rather it tries to seek out the enemy first with a hugely powerful radar and put the adversary out with an enormous array of long range BVR/stand off weapons.

credits to brar_w on BRF, further reading here.
That fellow says mmrca 2 unlikely to materialize :frown:

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles