Mil Mi-26T2 Halo vs Boeing CH47F Chinook

p2prada

CH47F can lift 12700 kg or 14 tons. Mil-26T2 can lift 20000 kg or 22 tons.

Source: ..:: India Strategic ::.. Home Page: The authoritative monthly on Defence and Strategic Affairs. topstories199.htm

Your link merely took me to the homepage.

Anyway, that little snippet is nothing. I have seen many such articles where they only mention a little detail and then skip what's important. 15-20 tons is too wide a margin and he was only talking to the media. It is not necessary that the people who created the RFP follow what the Major said word to word.

Read Ray sir's post again. Understand what he meant. Read asianobserve's post that Ray sir quoted and try to understand what he meant. Both are right. You are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@p2prada Here is the link: ..:: India Strategic ::.. Indian Air Force: Indian Air Force To Acquire 24 Attack And 12 Heavy Lift Helicopters

I am not going to waste my time reading your lengthy posts.

You do not know the Air Staff Requirements.

Cheers!

From that article you linked...

"Major said that the effort would be to invite manufacturers from around the world, and that in the heavy lift category, helicopters with 15-to-20-ton capacity would be considered.

Chinook is within the parameter.

'Today, we want the best, with digital net-centric connectivity as well as onboard sensors and weapons, so that we can use them for long, while periodically upgrading their systems or parts.'

But with this one the Mi26, even the T2, will loose out to the Chinook.

Okay, here's what Rockwell Collins has to say about Chinook CH47F:

CH-47F Chinook
The U.S. Army's CH-47F Chinook is a multi-mission, heavy-lift transport helicopter that supports the movement of personnel, cargo and equipment on the battlefield. Selected as the U.S. Army's common digital cockpit for rotary wing transport aircraft, Rockwell Collins' Common Avionics Architecture System (CAAS) gives the CH-47F exceptional mission effectiveness with its fully integrated flight and mission management capabilities. The innovative modular open system approach allows technology upgrades to the CAAS system to be developed and affordably reused on many aircraft types, reducing overall lifecycle costs.
As part of army aviation's initiative for a common rotorcraft avionics system, the CH-47F, MH-47G and MH-60L/M CAAS systems use identical hardware systems including MFD-268C3 multi-function display units, CDU-7000 control display units, PSM-8600 processor switch modules and VPM-8600 video processor modules. These rotorcraft systems also feature night vision imaging system-compatible active matrix liquid crystal displays and controls, embedded mission processing and redundant high-integrity Ethernet data buses. Our innovative hover symbology provides increased safety during operations in degraded visual environments or brown-out conditions.
Incorporating integrated communications, digital automated flight controls, and navigation systems management, along with the latest in digital battlefield situational awareness and net-centric connectivity, the CH-47F Chinook CAAS-equipped aircraft provide army aviation with a reliable and efficient heavy lift cargo helicopter for tactical and combat support mission requirements around the world.

CH-47F Chinook

Reactions: sob

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There is also a important note, unlike CH-47 which can carry heavy vehicles such as IFV or trucks at sling, MI-26 does it inside as most trucks cannot be hang under-sling..

p2prada

@p2prada Here is the link: ..:: India Strategic ::.. Indian Air Force: Indian Air Force To Acquire 24 Attack And 12 Heavy Lift Helicopters

I am not going to waste my time reading your lengthy posts.

You do not know the Air Staff Requirements.

Cheers!
And you are privy to it?

IAF knows what they require and what they selected reflects that decision regardless of your rants. That's been my whole stand on every major services decisions ever made since this forum began, right from T-90 to Gorky to Apache to Chinook. The services always know best.

The one who's time was wasted was mine.

Regards.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If C-17s can have hovering capability sure then ...

Why do the IAF need a helicopter to transport trucks in the first place? How often is it done? Can the existing Mi26 fleet not suffice? Anyway, C-17s have short landing and take off capability.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All the time, In remote outposts where there are no roads to transport logistics and construction equipments..

Over mountains its not easy to lay airstrips even for small turbo props, 250-60m runway is luxury..

-----------------
-----------------

Present MI-26 fleet is too small that is why RFI was launched..

Why do the IAF need a helicopter to transport trucks in the first place? How often is it done? Can the existing Mi26 fleet not suffice? Anyway, C-17s have short landing and take off capability.

pmaitra

And you are privy to it?

IAF knows what they require and what they selected reflects that decision regardless of your rants. That's been my whole stand on every major services decisions ever made since this forum began, right from T-90 to Gorky to Apache to Chinook. The services always know best.

The one who's time was wasted was mine.

Regards.
The question is whether you know the ASR. I have a source. You have none.

Numbers don't lie, and I think I know why you are avoiding the numbers.

p2prada

The question is whether you know the ASR. I have a source. You have none.

Numbers don't lie, and I think I know why you are avoiding the numbers.
That isn't a source. It is just an uncertain claim, regardless of the fact that he is in the Army.

So according to you, 15 < 14 < 20.

Got it.
If you insist on having the last word, well go right ahead. No point discussing this anymore.

pmaitra

@p2prada, why don't you provide a better source then?

Is the only thing you can do is reject a source without providing one yourself?

Right now, your entire argument stands on blind faith.

sathya

Country flag
CHINOOK looks like won the bid...

Guys dont waste energy & time harping in the past debate.

lets move forward..& take this fight to next US vs RUSSIAN weapons purchase..:fencing:

Rage

DFI TEAM
I never thought a US vs. Russian weapons platform debate could evoke so much sentiment.

pmaitra

@sathya, you are right CH47 won, and the dead horse has been flogged over and over about which one is a better heavy lifter.

The question is why? IMHO it's more to do with Indo-US partnership and nuke deal, and not merely about heavy lift.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles