Live Stream on YouTube: Long March 5 launch 11/3/2016 7AM

Akask kumar

The successful launch of China's Long March 5 rocket today is important, because the successor to the Long March 5 will have the lift-capability to land a Chinese taikonaut on the Moon.
dont you think 14 tonnes to GTO is enough to take Taikonaut to the moon?? how much lifting capability one needs??

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
the slides you reposted is holy grail giving insight to the future of indian rocketry.. May be its not a big deal
I said this page is nothing, means better content and slides may be on ther threads or pages of ISRO thread. Examine other pages.:biggrin2:
for a wannabe Mod :scared1:..but for newbees like me its AMAZING
I have a lot to post about, bound with this community. But carefully, post when finalized that this thing will be done and that won't be.
I think it will be done by 2020 and fully operational by 2022..

SCE engine has been developed,only testing has to be done..

the HLV rocket will be a derivative of GSLV ,,so its not an entirely new design concept,we dont have to work from scratch.
after GSLV launch in jan 2017 we will have a fully operational Cryogenic engine, we have semicryo engine, solid boosters are not a bog deal. as far as fuel Tanks are concerned -ISRO is qualified enough to make those in sleep walk..

all we need to do is assemble the preexisting tech that we will have by 2018.. test the design and raise the toast.:daru:
My point again, 10 tonnes to GTO by 2020 isn't a big deal, but 15 tonnes to LEO, needs a bigger engine. It's not from scratch but even then will take 2-4 years (scratch takes a decade), and testing and operationalization for validating system, suitable launch pad, it will be in 2025 to have an operational HLV with capability to place upto 15 tonnes to GTO and 30-35 tonnes to LEO.
dont you think 14 tonnes to GTO is enough to take Taikonaut to the moon?? how much lifting capability one needs??
Needs between 100-150 tonnes to LEO, so about 50-100 tonnes to LEO or capable of putting nearly 50 tonnes to TLI (Trans Lunar Injection).

Simply, it's more than a heavy,
Super Heavy Lift Launch Vehicles (can put more than 50 tonnes to LEO)

Saturn - 5 - (USA, 140 tonnes to LEO, retired),

Long March 9 (China, 150 tonnes to LEO, in studies),

Soviet N1 (never succeded, 95 tonnes to LEO),

Soviet Energia (100 tonnes to LEO, shut due to funding problem),

European Ariane - M( 95 tonnes to LEO, concept),
Indian Heavy Lift Launch Vehicles of ISRO (ranges from 69, 84 and 100 tonnes to LEO, from 20 to 50 tonnes to GTO, an additional version for TLI possibly with 150 tonnes to LEO, in study since 2010, currently a concept and actual development will start after 2022)
NASA's SLS (170 tonnes to LEO, first flight in 2018).

@Akask kumar I have posted a lot about Indian Concepts in main thread. A lot more will be there in expo next to made for Mgy-2, i.e. late 2018 or early 2019.
@Martian I know the ranges of Indian Concepts, what are ranges of CZ-9 series?

Martian

Respected Member
China is developing the Long March 9 to send a taikonaut and a Lunar Lander to the Moon around 2030-2035.

CHINA AIMS FOR HUMANITY'S RETURN TO THE MOON IN THE 2030S | Popular Science

"The LM-5, which will fly this year, can carry up to 25 tons in payload to low earth orbit. But the LM-9, nearly six times as large and twice as tall, can boost 140 tons, enough for a single launch to carry a multiple person lunar landing team."
[The Long March 5 rocket is on the right. The Long March 9 Moon Rocket is on the left and under development.]

Akask kumar

China is developing the Long March 9 to send a taikonaut and a Lunar Lander to the Moon around 2030-2035.

CHINA AIMS FOR HUMANITY'S RETURN TO THE MOON IN THE 2030S | Popular Science

"The LM-5, which will fly this year, can carry up to 25 tons in payload to low earth orbit. But the LM-9, nearly six times as large and twice as tall, can boost 140 tons, enough for a single launch to carry a multiple person lunar landing team."
[The Long March 5 rocket is on the right. The Long March 9 Moon Rocket is on the left and under development.]
Me after seeing long march 9 :eek1: .. its Huge .. similar to NASA's SLS.. Damn !! my god !! Baap re !! ... its monstrous..

@Indx TechStyle normally says he is not in any dick measuring contest.. but if there is any such contest ,people shud know China is working on world's biggest dick..

i pray for CNSA success.. Let the science win..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@Indx TechStyle normally says he is not in any dick measuring contest.. but if there is any such contest ,people shud know China is working on world's biggest dick..
Let me get in contest, we too have a super heavy lift launch vehicle IHLV, one of largest in world, studies. After ISRO achieves capability of putting 15 tonnes in LEO, we can expect it in next 15 years from them, around 2040.:biggrin2:

republic_roi97

Country flag
@Indx TechStyle Is there any thread to discuss various theoretical and practical spacecraft propulsion systems ? I think that now would be a relevant time to start a discussion about it since we might start sailing with 25% of light speed into the space towards alpha centauri a few decades from now !!!

Akask kumar

@Indx TechStyle Is there any thread to discuss various theoretical and practical spacecraft propulsion systems ? I think that now would be a relevant time to start a discussion about it since we might start sailing with 25% of light speed into the space towards alpha centauri a few decades from now !!!
yes .. a separate thread on various propulsion and method of deep sapce travel including colonisation is a must for nerds like us:biggrin2:

Akask kumar

Let me get in contest, we too have a super heavy lift launch vehicle IHLV, one of largest in world, studies. After ISRO achieves capability of putting 15 tonnes in LEO, we can expect it in next 15 years from them, around 2040.:biggrin2:
first get this GSLV capabilty to 10+ tonnes GTO by 2020 ..the we can dream big.. there is no point in making sand castles.. there are many milestones to be achieved prior to the 140+ tonne LEO capability

END This SAARC satellite bullshit .. now i am calling it off.. you were right.. this will only delay our crucial programs..let our thankless neighbor use cloud watching to predict weather. we dont care..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I will look into it on Sunday.

Not only that, we can discuss rocketless launch systems.

republic_roi97

Country flag
first get this GSLV capabilty to 10+ tonnes GTO by 2020 ..the we can dream big.. there is no point in making sand castles.. there are many milestones to be achieved prior to the 140+ tonne LEO capability
Well its not meant for only us Indians, I am talking about the Humans in general, who are gonna be making this possible pretty soon.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Here, let me make things easier for you @Indx TechStyle :-

Breakthrough Starshot is a research and engineering project by Breakthrough Initiatives to develop a proof-of-concept fleet of light sail spacecraft, named StarChip,[1] capable of making the journey to the Alpha Centauri star system, 4.37 light-years away, at speeds between 15% and 20% of the speed of light,[2][3][4][5] taking between 30 and 20 years to get there, respectively, and about 4 years to notify Earth of a successful arrival. The journey may include a flyby of Proxima Centauri b, an Earth-sized exoplanet that is in the habitable zone of its host star in the Alpha Centauri system.[6] The conceptual principles to enable this interstellar travel project were described in "A Roadmap to Interstellar Flight", by Philip Lubin of UC Santa Barbara.[7][8]

The project was announced on 12 April 2016 in an event held in New York City by physicist and venture capitalist Yuri Milner and cosmologist Stephen Hawking who is serving as board member of the initiatives. Other board members include Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. The project has an initial funding of US$100 million to start research. Milner places the final mission cost at $5–10 billion, and estimates the first craft could launch around 2036.[3] Pete Worden is tasked to run the Breakthrough Initiatives,[9] of which this is the third.[10]

StarChip (spacecraft)

StarChip is the name used by Breakthrough Initiatives for a very small, centimeter-sized, gram-scale, interstellar spacecraft envisioned for the Breakthrough Starshot program,[1][2] a proposed mission to propel a fleet of a thousand StarChips on a journey to the Alpha Centauri star system, the nearest extrasolar stars, about 4.37 light-years from Earth.[3][4][5][6][7][8] The journey may include a flyby of Proxima Centauri b, an Earth-sized exoplanet that is in the habitable zone of its host star.[9] The ultra-light StarChip robotic nanocrafts, fitted with lightsails, are planned to travel at speeds of 20%[1][4][5][6] and 15%[6] of the speed of light, taking between 20 and 30 years to reach the star system, respectively, and about 4 years to notify Earth of a successful arrival.[4] The conceptual principles to enable practical interstellar travel were described in "A Roadmap to Interstellar Flight", by Philip Lubin of UC Santa Barbara,[10] who is an advisor for the Starshot project.

Propulsion system:- Solar Sails
Similar Propulsion system:- Laser Beam based lightsail.

Akask kumar

Well its not meant for only us Indians, I am talking about the Humans in general, who are gonna be making this possible pretty soon.
Yes, one thing for sure.if chinese make it to the moon.. they will mine the crap out of it.. they will not do the mistake what NASA did in 70s. which was just POSING and flaunting to the Soviets..

and on the other side we have Elon MUSk ,quite serious about mars.. so moon and mars colonisation will happen almost at the same time.. WHic is remarkable in the entire history of human civilization

republic_roi97

Country flag
Yes, one thing for sure.if chinese make it to the moon.. they will mine the crap out of it.. they will not do the mistake what NASA did in 70s. which was just POSING and flaunting to the Soviets..

and on the other side we have Elon MUSk ,quite serious about mars.. so moon and mars colonisation will happen almost at the same time.. WHic is remarkable in the entire history of human civilization
Well mining on moon is pretty awesome but could be very dangerous for the people on earth, because, moon has a lot to do with the weather and climatic conditions on earth, if chinese, by anymeans, distort the orbit of moon around earth, we would be fucked. Although that is highly unlikely, but worst case scenario :biggrin2:

Akask kumar

Well mining on moon is pretty awesome but could be very dangerous for the people on earth, because, moon has a lot to do with the weather and climatic conditions on earth, if chinese, by anymeans, distort the orbit of moon around earth, we would be fucked. Although that is highly unlikely, but worst case scenario :biggrin2:
dnt worry my friend .moon is not as fragile as it appears.. it wont break into two halves like an egg. Moon may serve as a junction for mars mission in far future.

let me quote Abdul kalam..
he said the earth moon and mars in future will serve as space industry corridor,,

Living in moon's underground bases is much safer than living inside space center..but that is far far ahead in future..

republic_roi97

Country flag
dnt worry my friend .moon is not as fragile as it appears.. it wont break into two halves like an egg. Moon may serve as a junction for mars mission in far future.

let me quote Abdul kalam..
he said the earth moon and mars in future will serve as space industry corridor,,

Living in moon's underground bases is much safer than living inside space center..but that is far far ahead in future..
Lets not get carried away though, but I even think that in future, we might just be able to mine on the asteroids because they have a lot of metal, including aluminium that might get used to build a space station like elysium. :biggrin2: Because there is not enough aluminium available on earth to build something that big in space.

shiphone

Country flag

LongMarch-5 experienced 30 year long R&D course including 20 years' pre-research (started as one item of Project 863 in 1980s) plus 10 years' full speed R&D when the project was officially approved in 2006, there were 5-6 times of major setback in the last ten years. ...

it's a long tough journey which outsiders wouldn't know and understand. the success on 3rd is the great return of unimaginable hard working of a research team of more than ten thousands people all over the nation. two of my classmates are among them...this is also a 'young' team with an average age of 33.5 only. such a team is invaluable and a more bright future is predictable...lol

so far ,ten missions have been planed. there will be another two mission next year. in Autum LM-5 will send the Chang'e-5 Lunar probe next year. From 2018 , four LM-5B (the 1.5 stage configuration) will be launched to eject the TianGong Space Station Modules in the following 4 years. and in 2020, the LM-5 would sent the Chian Mars Probe to MTO(Mars Transfer Orbit) directly...

BTW, I read before some claiming that the LM-7's success rate would determine the fate of China Mars Mission... I also read that LM-3,4 was related to China Manned space mission...etc...too much terrible wrong understandings here...and I also read those funny claims about your own LV development and capacity. ...daer young Indians, you need more studying rather than empty talking...

so let me correct this...

CZ-2 F/G: for China Manned space mission, LEO
CZ-2 C/D: SSO mission
CZ-3 A/B/C/BE: GTO mission, LTO,MTO
CZ-4 B/C: SSO mission

NextGen LongMarch(CZ) family

CZ-5: GTO LTO MTO
CZ-5B: LEO
CZ-7: LEO mission for the Cargo ship first and then for the future Manned space mission when the sucess rate is confirmed
CZ-8/6/11: SSO

Last edited:

Akask kumar

LongMarch-5 experienced 30 year long R&D course including 20 years' pre-research (started as one item of Project 863 in 1980s) plus 10 years' full speed R&D when the project was officially approved in 2006, there were 5-6 times of major setback in the last ten years. ...

it's a long tough journey which outsiders wouldn't know and understand. the success on 3rd is the great return of unimaginable hard working of a research team of more than ten thousands people all over the nation. two of my classmates are among them...this is also a 'young' team with an average age of 33.5 only. such a team is invaluable and a more bright future is predictable...lol

so far ,ten missions have been planed. there will be another two mission next year. in Autum LM-5 will send the Chang'e-5 Lunar probe next year. From 2018 , four LM-5B (the 1.5 stage configuration) will be launched to eject the TianGong Space Station Modules in the following 4 years. and in 2020, the LM-5 would sent the Chian Mars Probe to MTO(Mars Transfer Orbit) directly...

BTW, I read before some claiming that the LM-7's success rate would determine the fate of China Mars Mission... I also read that LM-3,4 was related to China Manned space mission...etc...too much terrible wrong understandings here...and I also read those funny claims about your own LV development and capacity. ...daer young Indians, you need more studying rather than empty talking...

so let me correct this...

CZ-2 F/G: for China Manned space mission, LEO
CZ-2 C/D: SSO mission
CZ-3 A/B/C/BE: GTO mission, LTO,MTO
CZ-4 B/C: SSO mission

NextGen LongMarch(CZ) family

CZ-5: GTO LTO MTO
CZ-5B: LEO
CZ-7: LEO mission for the Cargo ship first and then for the future Manned space mission when the sucess rate is confirmed
CZ-8/6/11: SSO
the team is quite young.. great!!

so the whole rocket runs on cryogenic engine and boosters are semi cryo??

I also read those funny claims about your own LV development and capacity
those arnt funny or made up .. thats for real and like urs we too have pool of great minds working on that..
FYI work is being done to improve the capacity of GSLV.. the road map has been laid.
By 2018 to 2020. results will start coming..

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag
funny claims about your own LV development and capacity. ...daer young Indians, you need more studying rather than empty talking...
That sounds like u got offended, :biggrin2:. You made it first does not mean that we won't be able to make it at all. Ours HLV is still 5-6 years away, but this is the sector where no one can say that we do "empty talking". Our LVM3 is going to be tested in a month or two and then after a year with SCE-200 its gonna be able to put 6 ton sat into orbit. Their is no empty claim about ISRO.
I am happy that u guys did it, but that doesn't mean that you'll be all cocky and arrogant about it.

Akask kumar

That sounds like u got offended, :biggrin2:. You made it first does not mean that we won't be able to make it at all. Ours HLV is still 5-6 years away, but this is the sector where no one can say that we do "empty talking". Our LVM3 is going to be tested in a month or two and then after a year with SCE-200 its gonna be able to put 6 ton sat into orbit. Their is no empty claim about ISRO.
I am happy that u guys did it, but that doesn't mean that you'll be all cocky and arrogant about it.
after reading his last paragraph it appears only CHINESE work on rocket & dedicate time developing it while other nation just dig the design from underground ...:frusty:

republic_roi97

Country flag
after reading his last paragraph it appears only CHINESE work on rocket & dedicate time developing it while other nation just dig the design from underground ...:frusty:
Thing is that he is claiming that PRC achieved this after a lot of hard work and dedicated R&D . This claim, makes one think that for a country with a long history of "reverse engineering", it might be a little hard to gallop that they developed it on their own.

I am not saying that they didn't, I am sure that they did develop it on their own.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles