LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Azaad

Country flag
This won't take as much time given it is a follow on order for the Tejas Mk1A with precedent having been set and benchmark prices from the first contract.
If that's the case , why was the tender floated ? They already had the unit prices , all they had to do was multiply it with the number of units required & voila !!

Azaad

Country flag
could be, HAL as lead integrator is dependant it's suppliers, the price they quote is sum total of what their vendors are quoting + their own work share.

there could literally be thousands of sub-contracts built into this one main contract. if delivery has to happen on time, everyone in the entire supply chain has to be in sync. on top of this, there is going to be contingency planning.
It could also mean renegotiating the prices committed for the units / components / sub assemblies / LRUs to be supplied for the existing lot of the Mk-1a.

Chinmoy

Country flag
If that's the case , why was the tender floated ? They already had the unit prices , all they had to do was multiply it with the number of units required & voila !!
Good luck doing that without a tender.

Azaad

Country flag
Bhatije, yeh sachai tumhare paida hone ke pehle se chali aa rahi hain.
Meaning you were never able to tell the difference between a rhetorical question even if your life depended on it. Yup , I got it now.

MirageBlue

Country flag
Some more info from Janes. The tender was released by MoD to HAL in March 2024 and the value of the acquisition could change.

MirageBlue

Country flag
Are you unaware of how things work in the real world?

The previous tender was at 2021 prices for all the parts/assemblies/labor that goes into a Tejas Mk1A. Do they stay the same in your world 3 years later too?

In addition, there may be some new requirements that the IAF has with these 97 units which HAL will have to cater to.

Azaad

Country flag
Are you unaware of how things work in the real world?

The previous tender was at 2021 prices for all the parts/assemblies/labor that goes into a Tejas Mk1A. Do they stay the same in your world 3 years later too?
My larger point was there may be modifications to the next lot of Mk-1a's too - minor or intermediate but not major resulting in significant changes in the BoM , consequently in the LRU's.

MoD has 2 years time to issue the order if production of the next lot of 97 Mk-1a's are to commence in Apr 2028.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Can the 2xBVR slot be fit with 3x BVR as triple mount rack. Like this, it increases total BVRs carried from 4 to 6,which I think is more than enough. View attachment 248184
Noone uses it in practice. Not even US themselves.

And the LDP is believed to double as IRST, maybe we'll get a dedicated pod in future

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Azaad

Country flag
I

I have a strong feeling we will see some movement this year after elections for MRFA and finish this clowry forever
Doubt it. There's no urgency on the part of this Government. The Rafales for MRFA makes sense in the immediate context given the upcoming war against China. If post 2020 in spite of whatever transpired across the LAC, GoI hasn't gone in even for the 36 nos it has paid to prepare the bases for, I don't think the MRFA is coming.

Up until recently even I held the view the MRFA tender would be released post elections but the schedule is such that if they come post 2030 then they clash with the deliveries of the LCA Mk-2 & the AMCA Mk-1 assuming the numbers given in this news report is correct.

Even otherwise, Rafales post 2030 doesn't make sense financially for the huge strain it puts on our exchequer. We can't possibly finance procurement of the Rafales, AMCA & LCA simultaneously & fund development programs - existing & upcoming like the replacement of the MKI & studies regarding the replacement of the LCA Mk-1 late next decade.

I'm afraid the ship for procurement of the MRFA has sailed

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Doubt it. There's no urgency on the part of this Government. The Rafales for MRFA makes sense in the immediate context given the upcoming war against China. If post 2020 in spite of whatever transpired across the LAC, GoI hasn't gone in even for the 36 nos it has paid to prepare the bases for, I don't think the MRFA is coming.

Up until recently even I held the view the MRFA tender would be released post elections but the schedule is such that if they come post 2030 then they clash with the deliveries of the LCA Mk-2 & the AMCA Mk-1 assuming the numbers given in this news report is correct.

Even otherwise, Rafales post 2030 doesn't make sense financially for the huge strain it puts on our exchequer. We can't possibly finance procurement of the Rafales, AMCA & LCA simultaneously & fund development programs - existing & upcoming like the replacement of the MKI & studies regarding the replacement of the LCA Mk-1 late next decade.

I'm afraid the ship for procurement of the MRFA has sailed
By MRFA I mean just more numbers of Rafaels maybe 36 more MRFA as a competition is as good as dead now no chance we are getting 100 more foreign jets now

Azaad

Country flag
By MRFA I mean just more numbers of Rafaels maybe 36 more MRFA as a competition is as good as dead now no chance we are getting 100 more foreign jets now
If the IAF had followed the late Gen Rawat's advice & gone in for piece meal procurement like the MKIs we'd probably have already seen 4 squadrons of Rafales in the IAF by now & the possibility of ordering another 2-3 squadrons post the elections.

Guess the spat between the IAF & MoD on the mode of procurement put paid to those plans. In any case this news is of 2017-18 vintage. A lot of water has flown under the bridge since then.

An RFP today would result in an order for the MRFA by 2030 & that's the most optimistic scenario which means the first plane roll out would be in 2033 - the same time the LSP of the Mk-2 will be rolling out.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
In this case it's only the tender which's been floated. Long way to go before order is placed. The last time MoD took 2 yrs IIRC to negotiate the price with HAL & place the order .
Again why does not modiji crack the whip on mod Babu's ? Why only HAL ? In general I have not seen much a## whipping of beuracracy Babu's by Modiji

Global Defence

Articles