LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

standard snowball

Country flag
Do you even know what AAAU means ??
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GaN.

Stop peddling FAKE NEWS one after another.
Uttam Mk2 is literally 900+ GaAs variant.
Where do you think they installed additional 150 TRM. Yes that's how it became "rectangular".

Why would the uttam mk2 be GaAs when literally every new radar DRDO is making is GaN based, from proposed Netra mk1a radar to QRSAM radar to Akash NG radar.

I remember when the uttam mk2 was first revealed, folks on both DFI and Twitter were discussing how it's GaN based, so I am going to roll with that because I am yet to seeing evidence pointing to the contrary.

rohit b3

Country flag
He says, with 3 x Drop tanks, Ferry range is in excess of 900 miles(almost 1500 kms). However IOC press release said, it has a ferry range of over 1700 kms. Also during the Singapore Airshow, it flew from Port Blair to Changi Airbase which is almost 1700 kms as well.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
He says, with 3 x Drop tanks, Ferry range is in excess of 900 miles(almost 1500 kms). However IOC press release said, it has a ferry range of over 1700 kms. Also during the Singapore Airshow, it flew from Port Blair to Changi Airbase which is almost 1700 kms as well.
dont you see (In excess of*) … so +100-200 I guess

spacemarine2023

Country flag

NutCracker

Country flag
LCA Tejas Gets Initial Operational Clearance for Induction into IAF (pib.gov.in)

Press release also says, "Over 1700 kms". So, it's definitely around 1800 kms or so. If you are talking about your fighter on an international platform, giving conservative numbers isn't really a good choice i believe.
I think if carrying payload in addition to drop tanks the ferry range should be correct.
With just drop tanks I think it will reach 1800 kms or so

Gripen C is said to have ferry range of 3200km with 5100KG total fuel (2350+2750) . Same will be the case for Tejas mk1A , around 3000km because it's external fuel is around 300kg less, but internal is 100kg more.

So in my conclusion that pilot is talking about ferry range on Internal fuel only, which sits around 1400-1500km .

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Gripen C is said to have ferry range of 3200km with 5100KG total fuel (2350+2750) . Same will be the case for Tejas mk1A , around 3000km because it's external fuel is around 300kg less, but internal is 100kg more.

So in my conclusion that pilot is talking about ferry range on Internal fuel only, which sits around 1400-1500km .
So HVT cleared of the technicalities is to me once... Just don't fly with full internal fuel and drop full tanks, it goes above their MTOW.

SO IF A MAXIMUM RANGE NUMBER IS BEING COATED IT IS MOST LIKELY WITH FULL TANKS AND SOME AMOUNT OF INTERNAL

Pandora

Country flag
There is atleast 10-15kgs of makeup on that face.
Similar to how Pakis put makeup on the JF-17 to make it seem like they have built it from the ground up
Well Tunisian or arabic gals put makeup but denying their beauty is something hard to swallow.spent good amount of time in Tunisia,Morocco and Algeria ,must say gals are very beautiful even without makeup.*personal experience:p.

NutCracker

Country flag
So HVT cleared of the technicalities is to me once... Just don't fly with full internal fuel and drop full tanks, it goes above their MTOW.

SO IF A MAXIMUM RANGE NUMBER IS BEING COATED IT IS MOST LIKELY WITH FULL TANKS AND SOME AMOUNT OF INTERNAL
That helps in increasing weapons payload (by refueling in mid air), you can carry more weapons with same MTOW.
But for Ferry range it doesn't matter. You are not carrying anything apart INTERNAL + (1+1+0.6) T fuel in 3 tanks . Which doesn't exceed MTOW .

MirageBlue

Country flag

That is a hugely inflated figure, even for ferry range.

There is a reason that Saab hasn't been able to sell a single export Gripen C or E in over a decade. PR can only fool internet posters, not real users who have access to actual data that Saab has to provide as part of evaluations.

NutCracker

Country flag
That is a hugely inflated figure, even for ferry range.

There is a reason that Saab hasn't been able to sell a single export Gripen C or E in over a decade. PR can only fool internet posters, not real users who have access to actual data that Saab has to provide as part of evaluations.
Why would anyone buy Grippen C when US was selling F16 like hotcake to literally everyone for small extra chage.

For 5000kg fuel ferry range stats seem to be fine.

MirageBlue

Country flag
Why would anyone buy Grippen C when US was selling F16 like hotcake to literally everyone for small extra chage.

For 5000kg fuel ferry range stats seem to be fine.
Why did Thailand buy the Gripen C? Why did Hungary lease Gripen C? Why did the Czech Republic lease Gripen C?

They were considered more affordable to buy and operate when compared to even F-16s and had AMRAAMs as their primary BVRAAM with a very capable datalink.

However, none of these nations went on to buy any more Gripen Cs or even show interest in the Gripen E. Not even Thailand, which wanted F-35s (laughable given how small their budget it, how their infrastructure is and how close they are to China). Now that Thailand is definitely not getting F-35s, I'm still waiting to see if they show interest in the Gripen E or not.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles