LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Rohan Naik

Country flag
That's an excuse , how do you think Chinese are managing there state owned aviation industries. YOU need money. This is the only problem in indigenous manufacturing capabilities. Nobody wants to spend money in R&D in govt. And when they do they give peanuts
Chinese, though I hate to take their ref, are a communist regime. They have a dictatorship who rules them. This pressure in itself is the enough for people to pee in their pants. They will do it through pressursing people and ensuring they achieve success. Can u imagine our govt. pushing people to work in pressure? U have massive unions who would not think once to shut down institutions if there is even an attempt to do so. Yahan lockdown aur CAA ke liye koi respect nahi hai and opposition like khangress and others are always instigating people's sentiments for their petty politics. Do you think now that comparison with China is justifiable?

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Chinese, though I hate to take their ref, are a communist regime. They have a dictatorship who rules them. This pressure in itself is the enough for people to pee in their pants. They will do it through pressursing people and ensuring they achieve success. Can u imagine our govt. pushing people to work in pressure? U have massive unions who would not think once to shut down institutions if there is even an attempt to do so. Yahan lockdown aur CAA ke liye koi respect nahi hai and opposition like khangress and others are always instigating people's sentiments for their petty politics. Do you think now that comparison with China is justifiable?
There is a myth about the chinese aircraft costing less than tejas , But on contrary the J 10 C's costs 45 Million US dollar's to produce , J 11 D costs 55 Million US Dollars to produce and J 16 A's cost 60 Million US dollar's to produce . And that is in fly away Cost's compared to our's LCA Tejas MK 1A's flyaway cost of 280 to 300 Crore's .

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@noobmaster69 I think the unofficial rendering answered your questions . Hal Teja's could easily carry four Astra missile's and that also mk 2 . Unofficial but revelant images of the Hal Tejas's .

johnq

What a foolish title !

Tejas vs J-20: How Chinese J-20 Jets Have Overpowered Indian LCA Tejas With Indigenous Technology?

All stealth aircraft can be detected by long wavelength UHF over-the-horizon radar. The J-20 is a massive flying brick with a large heat signature. It can be detected by the infrared pod on the Tejas and then be shot down by a heat-seeking missile such as R-73. Radar-seeking missiles like AMRAAM can be jammed, as the MKIs did against Pakistani F-16 fired AMRAAMs.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
All stealth aircraft can be detected by long wavelength UHF over-the-horizon radar. The J-20 is a massive flying brick with a large heat signature. It can be detected by the infrared pod on the Tejas and then be shot down by a heat-seeking missile such as R-73. Radar-seeking missiles like AMRAAM can be jammed, as the MKIs did against Pakistani F-16 fired AMRAAMs.
J20 is not even stealth it was detected by PESA Radar of Su30mki in Uttarakhand

Immanuel

Country flag
Is that so, because some of the IAF pilots I have talked to aren't impressed by Tejas. They regard m2k highly than Tejas . Also su30 will se Tejas first , no doubt about it . I am not gonna say because pilot told me but because su30 has guided missile to 100km at a target of less RCS than Tejas Aka banshee . So I don't know where you get that Tejas will see su30 first, maybe in certain situations like when it's flying low but that wouldn't be much useful in BVR
Firstly the Tejas even FOC MK-1 should be able to take on the MKI quite comfortably, BVR at max ranges is a silly game any respectable pilot in the IAF can evade those missiles fired at DMAX ranges. It comes down to tactics, the MKI has the OLS and other neat tricks to pick up the Tejas. The Tejas can use it's Litening 3 pod to track the MKI. A timely shot of Derby can address the MKI as well. In WVR The Tejas will have an advantage since it's a small nimble aircraft which is hard to track visually. Stop lying as an aircraft the Tejas out performs the Mirage is most aspects and many experienced pilots in the IAF have confirmed that.

Immanuel

Country flag
@Bleh can you compare Tejas vs mirage 2000 performance wise....for the sake of reader s here.....
Please compare mirage 2000 upgraded with Tejas mk1a

As mirage 2000 upgraded is the latest variant....and mk1a will be the latest one...

“A cursory glance of capabilities shows that Tejas is extremely handicapped when it comes to the crucial criterion of the ‘ability to turn’, or change direction rapidly so as to throw off an attacker or turn to face him. On this feature, Tejas is only as capable as a MiG 21 of 1957 vintage. Even the IAF’s Mirage 2000 is better than this,” the official said."

“Further, the agility of Tejas, i.e. the time taken to achieve a given rate of turn or pitch, is also limited by its ‘fly by wire’ control laws which are yet to prove departure protection. No amount of pilot skills will be able to overcome the LCA’s limitations including those on spin tests,” said the official, adding that Tejas might have to run for its own survival when engaged in a combat with PAF’s F-16 and People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF)'s J-10, J-11, J-16 and J-20"

When we have unnamed sources with hot garbage we call that shit 'Fake News'

johnq

@Bleh can you compare Tejas vs mirage 2000 performance wise....for the sake of reader s here.....
Please compare mirage 2000 upgraded with Tejas mk1a

As mirage 2000 upgraded is the latest variant....and mk1a will be the latest one...

“A cursory glance of capabilities shows that Tejas is extremely handicapped when it comes to the crucial criterion of the ‘ability to turn’, or change direction rapidly so as to throw off an attacker or turn to face him. On this feature, Tejas is only as capable as a MiG 21 of 1957 vintage. Even the IAF’s Mirage 2000 is better than this,” the official said."

“Further, the agility of Tejas, i.e. the time taken to achieve a given rate of turn or pitch, is also limited by its ‘fly by wire’ control laws which are yet to prove departure protection. No amount of pilot skills will be able to overcome the LCA’s limitations including those on spin tests,” said the official, adding that Tejas might have to run for its own survival when engaged in a combat with PAF’s F-16 and People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF)'s J-10, J-11, J-16 and J-20"

This article is obviously paid for by import lobby, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten the following basic facts wrong. Only 40 Tejas have been ordered thus far. The order for the 83 MK1A has not been placed as of yet. Then it quotes un-named official to say the Tejas is less maneuverable than Mirage. I can tell you from a first-hand account by a test pilot that the Tejas handles and turns better than Mirage, especially at higher altitudes on account of its lower wing loading. India has a lot of internal enemies, especially in the media. The Tejas MK1A armed with AESA and HMD can wipe the floor with both J-20 and Mirage in a dogfight due to its lower wing loading. It can outmaneuver them both at higher altitude and fire an over the shoulder heat-seeking missile at them.

Abhay Rajput 02

Firstly the Tejas even FOC MK-1 should be able to take on the MKI quite comfortably, BVR at max ranges is a silly game any respectable pilot in the IAF can evade those missiles fired at DMAX ranges. It comes down to tactics, the MKI has the OLS and other neat tricks to pick up the Tejas. The Tejas can use it's Litening 3 pod to track the MKI. A timely shot of Derby can address the MKI as well. In WVR The Tejas will have an advantage since it's a small nimble aircraft which is hard to track visually. Stop lying as an aircraft the Tejas out performs the Mirage is most aspects and many experienced pilots in the IAF have confirmed that.
Haha .. Tejas foc can take su30mki. Good joke. That's tells the level of information you have buddy. IAF didn't even wanted Tejas at all, in its current form. They wanted Tejas mk1a from the beginning , I don't know which experienced IAF pilot you are talking about.

Abhay Rajput 02

Some miscalculations here.

With 3 times the RCS & comparable radars in both, I strongly doubt Mirage-2000 will get to launch as I of those BVRs.
And both are known to have similar ITR of 30°/sec but Tejas has better STR of 17-18°/sec against 16°/sec of Mirage-2000... Similar quality Helmet Mounted Display in both with peg WVR kill probability at 50:50.

Oi. Don't make such outlandish claims! Nobody knows neither what the existing RCS is nor how much it will reduce in Mark 1A.
You are forgetting some important facts like RCS doesn't matter much when you have loaded aircraft with missiles and drop tanks besides both radars have more range than there missiles itself. Dogfight with weapons is different game for both Tejas and mirage 2000. I will rate mirage 2000 higher than Tejas both in dogfight and BVR as of now . Although difference is not much but I will still sit in mirage 2000 cockpit. Not Tejas mk1a but the Tejas which is flying. I will give you an example - RCS of mig29 without weapons is 5 and with 6 AIR TO AIR missile is about 10 . I only know about RCS of mig 29 so . In other words both mirage 2000and Tejas will detect each other quite comfortably

Shadow

Country flag
It's upgraded Mk1, directly limited series production for testing and after completing, directly production
Can we expect the definitive version of Mk1A by the end of this year?

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Lol , calm down . I am no trickster or Bihari. I am an engineer in ******** and have family military background. - nothing more nothing less. That's all I am gonna say , Tejas in its current form is less than mirage 2000 and here some people are saying Tejas is superior to su30mki. Infact I would rate mig29k higher than mirage 2000 in A2A role . Infact mane people here believe that all mig29 are upgraded which is wrong and there are some mig29 left to be upgraded .
Actually I meant it positively sir ji so an engineer and family in military , same here but , I was able to complete only first year in technical and drop out due to financial issues and now running super market but yes I also think we understimate the Mig 29K's .

Anandhu Krishna

No, HAL already said that it will deliver 1st mk1a in 2022,no matter when deal is signed, they have started work on LSPs, that's why they are not worried about delays, but I want the deal signed asap.
HAL said they will deliver the first 1A exactly 3 years after the contract signed. They can't start work without any order.

aerokan

Country flag
IAF didn't even wanted Tejas at all, in its current form. They wanted Tejas mk1a from the beginning , I don't know which experienced IAF pilot you are talking about.
Wrong.. IAF top brass (particularly AVM's) never wanted any variant of Tejas at all. They tried their best to scuttle Tejas program as a whole. Now that the MK1A has been pushed down their throat by our beloved Parrikar, they just changed tune that they always wanted MK1A from the beginning. If they wanted MK1A from the beginning, they would not have created unreasonable ASQRs and would have actually worked with HAL to get the product right and fast. What happened instead was a shame!! Last few years, IAF started to see options drying out and started out actually supporting Tejas program although desirable co-operation is far from it (IAF and MOD included).

You don't have to answer this but the airforce insider that you are in touch with... is he an old timer pilot in IAF or a pilot who is actually flying Tejas day in and day out now?

aerokan

Country flag
The only central unit in a jet is the pilot console where the pilot could view various input from sensors and MC. There is no other central unit in a jet.
A MC is just a CPU which performs only one specific function rather then multiple ones unlike other CPU. So in aircraft RADAR, we would have different MC for ST and FC. ST can't take over the FC system. So when you integrate any missile on a fighter, you would need it to communicate with FCS of jet. For this you would need to program both FCS and Missile and would need source code of both.
Sharing source code?
Didn't anyone of those defense manufacturers in the entire world heard of API calls (Application Programming Interface) which we use everyday?
If not, i'm ready to be rich !! :megusta:

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
The jf17 blk1 ....lacks many features
The j10 a lacks many features.....
But jf17 blk 1 gave birth to blk 2..and now......from blk2 to they are moving to blk3
They have 100+ jf17.....
Now china have 300+ j10....A..B..C variants.....

A cheap fighter can't be the best.......and a best fighter can't be a cheap one...........
So we have to go for a intermediate one.....a capable fighter ,but not costly ...which Tejas is.....
Still people say Tejas lacks this....that ..
Most of the design shortcomings can be countered by .....other ways...
Tejas won't be a good performer in wvr ....then equip it with a long range bvr...that it will not face a wvr situation. Though in war anything can happen...........

The Tejas foc can carry 2 r73 ,2derby bvr ..with 3 drop tanks ..
The Tejas foc can carry 6 laser guided bombs .one ldp...one Centerline drop tank and 2 r73 ..
Which is very good compared to mig21 bis.....still some say Tejas is inferior to mig21

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles