Jokes Thread

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
<nerdalert>
Why are hot, beautiful, attractive girls called "chicks"?
Chic- A lady who is fashionable
Chick- A bird who hasn't reached adulthood.
I don't know why attractive girls are called chick!

The origin of the slang word "chicks" is ambiguous.

Several have proposed it comes form the French word "chic," which means "stylish, in vogue," which originates from the German word "schick" meaning "skilled." There is no evidence that the slang term "chick" is connected to "chic" in any way - their resemblance to one another is pure coincidence.

Others have argued that "chick" comes from the Spanish word "chica" referring fondly to a young woman. This is more plausible, and it may be involved, but once again there is no evidence that this is the origin of the word.

Some have said that Groucho Marx referred to his brother as "Chico" because he was a renowned "chickenchaser," and that it was Marx who popularized the reference to chickens when referring to women. There is little evidence to back this up.

"Chick" began being used as a shortening of "chicken" in mid-14th century England. It gradually extended to refer to human children as a term of endearment due to their alliterative similarities.[1]

Prior to the late 19th century "chick" has been found referring to young women, but only in direct address.

1610: “My Ariel; CHICKE That is thy charge.”—‘The Tempest’ by Shakespeare, V, i

1677: “CHICK, prethee [sic] let me kiss thee.”—‘Two Comedies’ by D’Urfey, page 163

1848: “ What’s the matter, my little CHICK.—‘Mysteries’ by Judson, page 206

Uses of the term as is used in slang today began to appear in 1899.

1899: “The ‘little baggage’ . . . is as pretty a CHICK as the Casinette Theater boasts.”—‘M. S. Bardford’ by Gunter, page 56

1910: “Some swell CHICKS out today—I’ll stroll along.”—‘The New York Evening Four’ (May 26) by cartoonist T. A. Dorgan

The word gained popularity in the American black community in the 1920s

1925: CX “This part calls for a CHICK that can hit the key of Z.”—‘Saturday Evening Post,' 3 January

1927: "He didn't want to marry this brainless little fluffy CHICK."—'Elmer Gantry' by Sinclair Lewis, vii. page 114

It is unclear exactly why women began to be called "chicks," but it is certainly not of Spanish or French origin, and is most likely originally derived from "chicken." It is plausible that "chick" became used in this way via its use as reference to children, as this sort of transition is common, as in "babe," "baby," "kitten," "doll," etc
</nerdalert>

FalconZero

Country flag
<nerdalert>
Why are hot, beautiful, attractive girls called "chicks"?
Chic- A lady who is fashionable
Chick- A bird who hasn't reached adulthood.
I don't know why attractive girls are called chick!

The origin of the slang word "chicks" is ambiguous.

Several have proposed it comes form the French word "chic," which means "stylish, in vogue," which originates from the German word "schick" meaning "skilled." There is no evidence that the slang term "chick" is connected to "chic" in any way - their resemblance to one another is pure coincidence.

Others have argued that "chick" comes from the Spanish word "chica" referring fondly to a young woman. This is more plausible, and it may be involved, but once again there is no evidence that this is the origin of the word.

Some have said that Groucho Marx referred to his brother as "Chico" because he was a renowned "chickenchaser," and that it was Marx who popularized the reference to chickens when referring to women. There is little evidence to back this up.

"Chick" began being used as a shortening of "chicken" in mid-14th century England. It gradually extended to refer to human children as a term of endearment due to their alliterative similarities.[1]

Prior to the late 19th century "chick" has been found referring to young women, but only in direct address.

1610: “My Ariel; CHICKE That is thy charge.”—‘The Tempest’ by Shakespeare, V, i

1677: “CHICK, prethee [sic] let me kiss thee.”—‘Two Comedies’ by D’Urfey, page 163

1848: “ What’s the matter, my little CHICK.—‘Mysteries’ by Judson, page 206

Uses of the term as is used in slang today began to appear in 1899.

1899: “The ‘little baggage’ . . . is as pretty a CHICK as the Casinette Theater boasts.”—‘M. S. Bardford’ by Gunter, page 56

1910: “Some swell CHICKS out today—I’ll stroll along.”—‘The New York Evening Four’ (May 26) by cartoonist T. A. Dorgan

The word gained popularity in the American black community in the 1920s

1925: CX “This part calls for a CHICK that can hit the key of Z.”—‘Saturday Evening Post,' 3 January

1927: "He didn't want to marry this brainless little fluffy CHICK."—'Elmer Gantry' by Sinclair Lewis, vii. page 114

It is unclear exactly why women began to be called "chicks," but it is certainly not of Spanish or French origin, and is most likely originally derived from "chicken." It is plausible that "chick" became used in this way via its use as reference to children, as this sort of transition is common, as in "babe," "baby," "kitten," "doll," etc
</nerdalert>
i didn't read it btw, anyone who reacted to your post is lying.

kisko chaihye ye?
@Maharaj skandgupta and @Assassin 2.0 discussing their new startup idea.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles