Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

mayfair

Anyway, tamil folks have shown a lot of spine. and, tbh so much disappointed in Modi and bjpee.
You do understand that Modi and "bjpee" have done more on this issue than all other governments including the one led by Puratchi Thalaivi all these years?

Why is it that TN has decided to come out with an ordinance only this year, when the ban was enforced long back?

alphacentury

Country flag
You do understand that Modi and "bjpee" have done more on this issue than all other governments including the one led by Puratchi Thalaivi all these years?

Why is it that TN has decided to come out with an ordinance only this year, when the ban was enforced long back?
Please, elaborate. I am disappointed in lot other core stuff also.

mayfair

Please, elaborate. I am disappointed in lot other core stuff also.
See my posts above about the notifications by the MoEF that legally allowed Jallikattu to go ahead, with reasonable safeguards. It was issued by Prakash Javadekar in 2016 and struck down by SC in 6 days. No other government- kendra or TN did squat on the matter, even when those who are shedding croc tears on Jalikattu were in power.

Regarding the "core issues", it's a topic for another discussion. But I must say, there's bound to be a dissonance in how we perceive "core issues" vs "core challenges".

I am one of those who are somewhat disappointed that some of the issues have not moved ahead much, that also comes from sky-high expectations when Narendra Modi became the PM in 2014. But as I have repeatedly pointed out, it's a long drawn war, it takes ages to undo the wrongs of the recent and not-so-recent past.

Would I love it if the things were faster? You bet.

Would I prefer that we get there slowly than never at all? You bet.

mayfair

Guys, Tamils in Singapore are gathering to hold a protest. I have got an invitation. It's tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted.
Go for it. Make sure your voices are heard loud and clear. Where are you gathering?

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Well i have no clue on this issue. I have never seen this game being promoted or broadcasted on DD either.
If it is about local tradition then, should be preserved if it doesnt harm the animal.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Krusty

Country flag
Go for it. Make sure your voices are heard loud and clear. Where are you gathering?
So far two spots, Raffales place and Sembawang. More to follow.

But I just got an update that it is only for Singaporeans and permenant residents alone. I suspect this is because of the mess that was caused by the Low wage construction workers 3 years ago.

Check this out guys, we really should learn from these guys how to be stern with outside influences.

IMG_3044.JPG

Hats off to these guys. This is exactly the same crisp and no nonsense way they announced volume cap for Mosques.

mayfair

So far two spots, Raffales place and Sembawang. More to follow.

But I just got an update that it is only for Singaporeans and permenant residents alone. I suspect this is because of the mess that was caused by the Low wage construction workers 3 years ago.
Raflles place is a good choice, plenty of footfalls so should ensure good visibility and awareness. Not sure about Sembawang. Harbour Front and Marina Bay Sands could be a good choice, though not sure if gatherings will be permitted there.

Sounds good. Havr you folks prepared flyers etc. about the Jallikattu ban timeline etc.? It will be good to highlight its relevance to local economy and communities even in this day and the insidious malafide intentions of those who have been in the forefront of the ban.

I hope some of the info posted in this thread will be of help. Good luck to you all.

1971ftw

Country flag
Supreme court needs to be belted in the teeth, it has better things to do than to solve 'karishma kapoor divorce' or running BCCI.
such a juvenile answer , its is the duty of the court to up hold justice, its not built for your personal convenience , stop blaming them for doing their jobs.

Next, ban kabadi or boxing too on this ground.
right.....because bulls volunteer by free will to get tortured and abused by drugs. jallikattu was banned because involves torturing animals, the Bull is a protected animal.

Anyway, tamil folks have shown a lot of spine. and, tbh so much disappointed in Modi and bjpee.
o look anther anti BJP comment that has nothing to do with the ban.

It is funny that even the most grotesque images you selected to peddle your agenda do not come remotely close to the brutality that are inflicted on animals by the meat industry and the leather industry.

killing animals for consumption =/= torturing animals for personal amusement

and justifying your logic with those bullfighting sport in Spain is ridiculous , that's a different country half way around the world.

Krusty

Country flag
Raflles place is a good choice, plenty of footfalls so should ensure good visibility and awareness. Not sure about Sembawang. Harbour Front and Marina Bay Sands could be a good choice, though not sure if gatherings will be permitted there.

Sounds good. Havr you folks prepared flyers etc. about the Jallikattu ban timeline etc.? It will be good to highlight its relevance to local economy and communities even in this day and the insidious malafide intentions of those who have been in the forefront of the ban.

I hope some of the info posted in this thread will be of help. Good luck to you all.
Well I am an Indian holding an employment pass. So I won't be able to attend it. I am helping to collect and organise information and print out flyers for my neighbour who is a member of Singapore Tamil council and Tamil representative council of Singapore. These two Organizations are doing the bulk of the preparation.

I suppose you have worked in Singapore. You will know they will never allow for such a cultural gathering at Harbor front. We can forget Marina Bay. No way the government will allow it.

Anyway, it's good that it's atleast Organised in the first place. I didn't expect this at all. Any publicity is good publicity. It's a great that Jallikattu has got so much support from within and outside India. Faith in himanity and common sense restored :clap2:

How is it in Japan? I suppose Tamil community is minuscule if at all it exists..

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

and justifying your logic with those bullfighting sport in Spain is ridiculous , that's a different country half way around the world.
You say consumption as if meat is the only source of food available. Secondly, the I am talking about the meat-industry, where animals suffer abuse several times higher in magnitude than the festival you are protesting. So, either become a vegetarian, hunt for your own meat or accept you are a hypocrite.

Also, I find the argument of consumption to be extremely amusing, it is always invoked in debates like this to invoke a sentiment of 'survival' as if it is still 500 A.D and being a vegetarian means you will starve.

I did not bring bullfighting up, you did, probably because you are insecure and subconsciously aware of your own hypocrisy.

1971ftw

Country flag
Well i have no clue on this issue. I have never seen this game being promoted or broadcasted on DD either.
If it is about local tradition then, should be preserved if it doesnt harm the animal.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk
except its been proven it does abuse animals , it was even banned by the the AIADMK government and brought back , which makes the "tamil pride" argument even more ridiculous. this protest is 90% about chest thumping and 10% about facts. yesterday some retarded protester said to a journalist that "this is tamil we can do what we want central mustn't interfere " , what kind of argument is that ( FYI that was from newsx )

You say consumption as if meat is the only source of food available.

that logic is the same as saying "you can live without sugar and salt , so why do you eat it"

Secondly, the I am talking about the meat-industry, where animals suffer abuse several times higher in magnitude than the festival you are protesting. So, either become a vegetarian, hunt for your own meat or accept you are a hypocrite.
i doubt the meat industry cares little about intentionally torturing bull .meat farms have quick death, they don't torture the bull by tieing its horns for weeks to the point it cries when you touch the horns. the quality of its life is arguable the same as any mass cattle hearer in bhihar.

Also, I find the argument of consumption to be extremely amusing, it is always invoked in debates like this to invoke a sentiment of 'survival' as if it is still 500 A.D and being a vegetarian means you will starve.
i believe people should be able to eat what they what as long its brought by a legal rout , i'm fine with cannibalism under free will and goverment monitarisation. which is next to impossible in a country like india i.e i encourage its ban.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
such a juvenile answer , its is the duty of the court to up hold justice, its not built for your personal convenience , stop blaming them for doing their jobs.
Justice is relative. People are free to protest against orders they don't agree with, else let SC outlaw protests against its orders.

People are sick of the bias and hypocrisy.

As for the pictures you put up, they are mild compared to what happens to animals during rituals of some other religions.

So either be consistent or face protests.

Why? Did you get the animals consent before killing it for consumption?

As for pics from Spain, thats to demonstrate hypocrisy of the like of PETA.

mayfair

How is it in Japan? I suppose Tamil community is minuscule if at all it exists..
Indian community itself is minuscule in Japan. Probably less than 25,000 in the entire land.

1971ftw

Country flag
Justice is relative. People are free to protest against orders they don't agree with, else let SC outlaw protests against its orders.
the relative it set by the courts perspective not by the accuser, the guy who looses his court case will always feel he didn't get justice .

As for the pictures you put up, they are mild compared to what happens to animals during rituals of some other religions.
file a petition let it be banned if it takes place in india.

So either be consistent or face protests.
again, you have the right to protest so protest , i'm saying don't break the law till then , which TN including its government parties have intentionally ignored ,on pongal the AIDMK organized a jallikattu event and walked away , yesterday "protesters" stopped a train from moving . these is not a peaceful protest.

Why? Did you get the animals consent before killing it for consumption?
meat aka food is a basic necessity , tortuing animals for sport isn't. animals are bread to consume, torturing animals is a internationally condemned act.

As for pics from Spain, thats to demonstrate hypocrisy of the like of PETA.

PETA isn't freaking country man its some shitty NGO , they don't rule Spain. your logic is like saying " some African tribe allow slavery so ignore the slaves in india" , its such a bs logic.

Global Defence

Articles