Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I'd cheer but protests mean nothing to courts which have ruled on this.

Only way forward is try to get the courts to reconsider. Good luck with that.
True.

But this would be the first time in along time that people themselves are standing together to protect culture.

Hope this movement emphasises on banning of PETA also.

Tarun Kumar

Nah, I think the government will bring an ordinance and clip the wings of SC. They are just in a wait and watch mode

Krusty

Country flag
i hope SC takes a similar stand on bakr eid as well
They won't. Muslims have secular pass. It's their 'get away for free' chit. Not going to happen. Bakr Eid is a slaughter fest. Jallikattu is the polar opposite.

PETA and even S Swamy will keep their mouth tightly shut on Eid. Because Hindus are easy targets.

Krusty

Country flag
Nah, I think the government will bring an ordinance and clip the wings of SC. They are just in a wait and watch mode
Wait and watch mode for how many years? This isn't the first year of Jallikattu ban unfortunately.

Krusty

Country flag
True.

But this would be the first time in along time that people themselves are standing together to protect culture.

Strongly agree. I am happy to see the support increase every year. It wasn't even close to this last year.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
True.

I am all for people standing up, though I wonder how much of this is grass-root and not politically backed.

For SC to take it up again, the government would need to bring an ordinance so that it gets challenged. I don't know if the government is interested in irking the SC on this.

On PETA, the need is to discredit them based on their double standards and funding. One goal of this ban is to ensure local breeds die out and are replaced by artificial variants.

Krusty

Country flag
True.

Strongly agree. I am happy to see the support increase every year. It wasn't even close to this last year.

Btw, just got word that Coimbatore has also joined Chennai

here2where

Whom are the protesters targeting?
SC does not bother about protests and will not change its ruling.
Maybe to wake up modi? But you cant wake up ppl who are already awake.

Tarun Kumar

I think there is a review petition . if it is rejected again then an ordinance will be passed.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I am all for people standing up, though I wonder how much of this is grass-root and not politically backed.

For SC to take it up again, the government would need to bring an ordinance so that it gets challenged. I don't know if the government is interested in irking the SC on this.

On PETA, the need is to discredit them based on their double standards and funding. One goal of this ban is to ensure local breeds die out and are replaced by artificial variants.
On the ordinance part..

Heard from somebody that the madras HC judgement is the reason ordinance is not easy this time. Before the judgment, ordinance was easy hence given in 2014/2015. Giving an ordinance this time is a complicated matter because many laws have to be incorporated.

Perhaps PETA guys had a very costly/good lawyer arguing for them at madras HC.

Krusty

Country flag
Whom are the protesters targeting?
SC does not bother about protests and will not change its ruling.
Maybe to wake up modi? But you cant wake up ppl who are already awake.
I wonder what Modi's stand is, with regard to Jallikattu. He is keeping quiet, SC is acting like a dictatorship ('we are not answerable to anyone' comment). S Swamy won't challenge this. Every institution in a democracy is answerable to the public.

The worst thing is local parties are trying to take full advantage of the situation. Of course, it's their job.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I wonder what Modi's stand is, with regard to Jallikattu. He is keeping quiet, SC is acting like a dictatorship ('we are not answerable to anyone' comment). S Swamy won't challenge this. Every institution in a democracy is answerable to the public.

The worst thing is local parties are trying to take full advantage of the situation. Of course, it's their job.

IMO modi should not get involved in this matter.

For long in many issues, politicians took advantage and made careers for themselves.

I hope jallikattu remains people vs SC or people vs PETA.

Politicians should stay away.

Krusty

Country flag
IMO modi should not get involved in this matter.

For long in many issues, politicians took advantage and made careers for themselves.

I hope jallikattu remains people vs SC or people vs PETA.

Politicians should stay away.
While I agree to this premise, if you look at the other end, Modi would have earned the eternal gratitude of all Tamils in support of Jallikattu, which is almost every single Tamil. At the very least, S Swamy could have been directed to better handle the situation instead of going on the record and treating Tamil people like children in need of disciplining. Instead, non-involvement is being exploited by local Politicians, unfortunately. It's a classic case of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

TheRenegades

Ordinance is of no use. Amendments to the laws are needed. Until amendment happens, this will keep going to SC.

Krusty

Country flag
@ezsasa

As i was saying in my previous post...

IMG_3035.JPG

After having put up that dumb tweet about Tamil people ....

1971ftw

Country flag
Bull are protected animals since the first constitution by Prevention of cruelty act , the case was in the courts for decades .This tamil pride argument is such bullshit ,its entirly about chest thumping without rational thanking .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles