Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

mayfair

This is highly unfortunate. State govt. show go all out in its defiance. Ensure more Jallikattu events than ever.

However, I am yet to see an official quote from any GoI minister or official that No ordinance will be issued only "highly placed sources". Do you have a link?

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
This is highly unfortunate. State govt. show go all out in its defiance. Ensure more Jallikattu's than ever.

However, I am yet to see an official quote from any GoI minister or official that No ordinance will be issued only "highly placed sources". Do you have a link?
None other than the one I posted. I'm also hoping someone from the centre actually makes a clear statement to the media. But time is quickly running out and chances are that it won't happen. I remember last year section 144 was imposed in multiple villages and towns across TN. Even though the article says it's imposed, it doesn't give out a source. I'll try to catch my friends down south for an update. But I wouldn't get my hopes up, time is quickly running out.

Edit: this is purely unofficial information. Few of my friends have confirmed section 144 in multiple villages. They have also confirmed that villages Madurai and tirupur (not sure of other districts) have went ahead with the arrangements for jallikattu anyway. the event will be hosted and the bulls will run. Hope more districts join the list. Waiting to see what kind of arrangements the police makes.

Last edited:

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No institution can claim it's not answerable to anyone. This isn't a dictatorship. SC is acting like Adolf Hitler after becoming the Fuhrer. Who was the judge who said these words?? He should be thrown out.
Unfortunately that's how it is. There is virtually no external say is the selection or removal of judges. All the GoI can do is stall appointments.

On the ordinance, its highly unlikely as that would amount to contempt of court. The GoI is not going to wage an unnecessary war with SC on this when it has so many other issues that it needs the courts on.

Only local level defiance will happen with opposition in TN using this for political leverage.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Where were the courts when certain political party's activists in Kerala were culling street dogs? Why did it remain mute? Most importantly, Where was PETA?
Afaik some of these orgs were weeping. I don't know about PETA specifically.

Again man, if street dogs become a nuisance and kill/maim people, the dogs will be killed, though a more feasible solution is to neuter them. I have discussed the reasons for the same, in detail, in that other thread.

Afaik such an incident (where they were killed and displayed) has not happened again, though a few people have been attacked after that. That incident happened because of the reasons that I discussed extensively in that thread.
I don't really care about those dogs and I don't really feel like discussing that topic again. I have posted plenty on that.

What about this?
Bombay High Court Allows Slaughter Of Goats On A Building Terrace On Bakrid

What about self-mutilation during Muharram processions? In my view Halal is animal torture. If ritual bull-fight can be banned then so should be the ritual animal sacrifices.

SC must be consistent in delivering verdicts, and focus more on dispensing justices which have been pending for decades.

In a country where people have to fight for their rights on streets, it is absurd for the court to devote so much time over such issues.

Judiciary is venturing into forbidden zones, wasting it's resources and loosing the trust/credibility.

Because of the rot in our system and low credibility of politicians, Courts are getting opportunity to poke their nose everywhere.

SC wants transparency inside every institution except, SC itself.
Agreed.
SC is punching above weight. Somebody is going to show them the door.
SC should only get involved in inter-state conflicts or crimes of federal nature (eg: economic, terror, narcotics.)

PS: It is bull-taming, not bull-fighting, they are not trying to hurt the bull.
One of the names of jallikattu literally means "bull hugging"

Krusty

Country flag
IMG_3003.JPG

Look at this, BJP in Tamil Nadu..... exactly how do they expect to get a foothold in TN? Genius..

DMK meanwhile is taking full advantage of the situation. Jayalalitha also isn't around. Radhakrishnan from BJP talking out of his rear. DMK Organising statewide protests.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/jallikattu-row-dmk-to-hold-statewide-protests/

Meanwhile more brain farts from animal rights activists. Asking to impose presidents rule in TN and enforce the law citing deliberate non-compliance.

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...ion-of-presidents-rule-in-tamil-nadu-4471274/

Check this out @Razor

Last edited:

here2where

..On the ordinance, its highly unlikely as that would amount to contempt of court. ...
GoI can follow congie example and do a repeat of the shah bano case (The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986) - thus nullifying SC verdict. BJP will have tamil's eternal gratitude then.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
GoI can follow congie example and do a repeat of the shah bano case (The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986) - thus nullyifying SC verdict. BJP will have tamil's eternal gratitude then.
They could, my point was they wouldn't want to take on the SC in such a manner. They have too many other issues in front of the courts.

People need to come to terms with the fact that this is not a government for Hinuds. People don't seem to want to take Modi at his word when he almost always says what he really means.

This is a 'sabka saath, sabka vikaas' government. His primary goals are economic prosperity and security for all. Religious considerations are not high on his list of priorities.

Even by actions, I can't recall anything that he has done for Hindus per say. It's for all Indians. The communal tag by MSM is so enduring that people tend to ignore all evidence to the contrary.

Apologies for that diatribe, in short, don't expect anything by the central government on this.

here2where

It is imperative Modi is seen doing something positive on this matter and its nothing to do with religion. This is a ripe opportunity to be seen pro-Tamil and get BJP kickstarted in TN. And he needs chinnamma's support in upper house, dont forget.

Krusty

Country flag
GoI can follow congie example and do a repeat of the shah bano case (The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986) - thus nullifying SC verdict. BJP will have tamil's eternal gratitude then.
Ordinances, special case scenarios, secular passes are only for ummah. Rest can go to hell. Actually there was a small but growing number of youth from TN who were ready to vote fo BJP and did. Now they can kiss their prospects in Tamil Nadu goodbye. I myself am regret my decision to vote for BJP. @Nicky G is absolutely right. BJP has little or nothing to do with pro Hindu agenda. Which is why I voted for it in the first place. He has failed on every front in this respect. Everything from getting chummy with Nawaz to jallikattu. Development is fine but we cannot sacrifice and give up on our core values.

here2where

To repeat, while congies did muslim-appeasement, Modi should indulge in south-appeasement in TN, Kerala, etc, where he and his party are totally irrelevant.

Krusty

Country flag
I have one question. How different is Rodeo from Jallikattu?
In rodeo the person sits on top of the bull and holds on before being released and timed for how Long he manages to stay on the bull after release. Jallikattu has 2 main types. In One the bull is released and the person tries to run to it, grab the hump (hug it) and hang on as Long as possible. And the other is a test of strength where the person attempts to actually stop and control the raging bull after its released. Some villages there is also a 'tug of war' between people and the raging bull. All are tests of strength and endurance. The people involved are in more danger of injury or death than the bulls themselves.

Krusty

Country flag
..... duplicate post ............

Last edited:

DingDong

Country flag
It is imperative Modi is seen doing something positive on this matter and its nothing to do with religion. This is a ripe opportunity to be seen pro-Tamil and get BJP kickstarted in TN. And he needs chinnamma's support in upper house, dont forget.
Modi will do nothing, he is about to turn into LK Advani version 2.0.

No institution can claim it's not answerable to anyone. This isn't a dictatorship. SC is acting like Adolf Hitler after becoming the Fuhrer. Who was the judge who said these words?? He should be thrown out.
We are almost there, Courts meddling into civil issues.

DingDong

Country flag
RSS Bats for Jallikattu, Says It's Not Cruelty but Playing with the Bull

J Nandakumar, All India Sah-Prachar Pramukh of the RSS, told News18 that the Sangh stand is that Jallikattu is a traditional festival related to Tamil Nadu’s agricultural traditions.

"The Sangh organisations in the state are in favour of Jallikattu. The festival is about playing with the animal, it does not involve celebration by killing of any ox, bull or camel,” he said.

Another RSS leader told News18 that the RSS was of the opinion that Jallikattu was part of the tradition of animal worship. “There are other communities that celebrate by killing animals, there is blood on farms and streets but no one questions them. In Jallikattu there is not an iota of animal cruelty or death. In India, cultural celebrations get associated with religion. Festivals are interpreted as religious functions of a particular community. The festival takes place only in one part of the country, it is not like the entire country is playing with bulls,” the leader said on condition of anonymity since he is not authorized to speak to media.
@Razor @Krusty

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I wonder how the argument would have gone if pro-jallikattu team kept their point of view in terms of Darwinism.

Darwinism is based on concept of survival of fittest, jallikattu ensures the best of the breed survives.

If no jalikattu, the breed might disappear. They are speaking in these lines, but use of the word "Darwinism" gives more weight. Those feeble liberal skulls are groomed to accept these western concepts easier than tradition and culture.

here2where

Plain and simple - north-indian brahmin BJP will not help dravidian tamils.
Imagine if this issue was in maharashtra, gujrat, or the hindi heartland...

Or it could be that some MNC wants to suppy cattle breeds by way of artificial insemination, wants to kill off native breeds and this is all a hand-in-glove drama (by PETA/GoI) towards that end.

Last edited:

DingDong

Country flag
Plain and simple - north-indian brahmin BJP will not help dravidian tamils.
Imagine if this issue was in maharashtra, gujrat, or the hindi heartland...

When Court imposed a ban on Dahi Handi, nobody in Maharashtra said that this was a discrimination against people of Maharashtra, support poured in for a common cause which effected every Hindu.

Forget about North Indians, even the South Indian states (Karnataka, Andhra, Kerala) will not provide any support, particularly when the whole issue has been hijacked by the Dravidian/Tamil Identity junkies.

Read my posts on this thread, I was mostly opposing the court verdict, but now I have changed my stance. I fully support the court decision, lesser of the two evils.

here2where

discrimination against people of Maharashtra, support poured in for a common cause which effected every Hindu...
Dahi handi, which i believe is a practice done mostly in maharashtra, is a religious event associated to a major Hindu festival.

Jallikattu is a cultural event linked to agricultural practices and supposed to "celebrate" relation between man and beast. It just happens to be done mostly by dominant hindu castes of southern TN, hence highly niche in nature. Not surprisingly this sport is hardly known outside TN and obviously does not evoke any sentiment/response among people of other southern states.

Lets not get confused between a regional niche sport and a religious festival.
This issue is very regional in nature and concerns tamil identity, hence no one ELSE, including hindus elsewhere, gives a damn.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles