Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

Krusty

Country flag
I think you'll find that many of those whom you deride as "dumb ignorant majority" can be far more sensible about these things.
This is one case I would be happy if I'm wrong.

But I think you might have missed the bigger point of my post. Anyway, I actually would be glad if at all the majority takes it in stride if the situation goes south for Jallikattu because I can assure you, Tamilians especially from the center and south TN won't take this lying down for too long. And there will come a time when they will openly dump the SC ban and organise jallikattu. As you said, if the majority of Indians stand with us in support, there would be nothing like it. :india:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
"Hindu funamentalists are as bad as muslim fundamentalists. now dont fume if tomorrow the muslims too were to openly defy any ban on triple talaq, halala, mutilation during muharram, cow slaughter, conversions, etc. ofc these are all THEIR matters & we shouldnt meddle in between. but what if some entity like the communal & divisive BJP were to enforce such prohibitions? what will happen to this peaceful country?!"

counter?
HAJIME!....

Krusty

Country flag
"Hindu funamentalists are as bad as muslim fundamentalists. now dont fume if tomorrow the muslims too were to openly defy any ban on triple talaq, halala, mutilation during muharram, cow slaughter, conversions, etc. ofc these are all THEIR matters & we shouldnt meddle in between. but what if some entity like the communal & divisive BJP were to enforce such prohibitions? what will happen to this peaceful country?!"

counter?
HAJIME!....
Kono kuotsu no naka Aru koto wa dare kara kikimashita?

Nothing can be done till we drive home the notion of India being the homeland of Hindus and coexistence means respecting the sentiment of the majority. Abrahamics will use secular ticket to slip away from any such arguments. triple talaq had been abolished even in Pakistan. And yet we can't to the same here. It's a matter of shame.

Jallikattu originated in here. It wasn't practised since time immemorial right here. Muharram mutilation and cow slaughter are different in context. Islamic practices did not originate here. Pakistan was created solely on the basis of islam. The majority has to learn to be assertive. If you want beef eat buffalo and such. But if you are hell bent on cow meat alone to antagonize the majority Hindus, do not cry when you face retaliation. Because just going for cow when you have other options for beef show you want nothing more than to pick a fight rather than practising your faith. Btw, no one said you should slaughter cows on Eid. The whole tradition started because Ibrahim was willing to sacrifice his Forst born son for Allah. If you are a true Muslim sacrifice your children to uphold the tradition. Muslim Fertility rate will more than cope up for your sacrifice. Or you are just a hypocrite.

Last edited:

here2where

I wasn't surprised at all. What else could I say? Just nodded and didn't prolong the conversation with my own views. Just kept mum.
You should have let that cut-let have it. Asked him to either SHUT THE FUCK UP or ask him to explain why they breed like rabbits with 4 women and then keep their whores wrapped in blankets in dark corners of their ghettos.

Dont ever keep quiet. Give it back in kind. I always do.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Kono kuotsu no naka Aru koto wa dare kara kikimashita?

Nothing can be done till we drive home the notion of India being the homeland of Hindus and coexistence means respecting the sentiment of the majority. Abrahamics will use secular ticket to slip away from any such arguments. triple talaq had been abolished even in Pakistan. And yet we can't to the same here. It's a matter of shame.

Jallikattu originated in here. It wasn't practised since time immemorial right here. Muharram mutilation and cow slaughter are different in context. Islamic practices did not originate here. Pakistan was created solely on the basis of islam. The majority has to learn to be assertive. If you want beef eat buffalo and such. But if you are hell bent on cow meat alone to antagonize the majority Hindus, do not cry when you face retaliation. Because just going for cow when you have other options for beef show you want nothing more than to pick a fight rather than practising your faith. Btw, no one said you should slaughter cows on Eid. The whole tradition started because Ibrahim was willing to sacrifice his Forst born son for Allah. If you are a true Muslim sacrifice your children to uphold the tradition. Muslim Fertility rate will more than cope up for your sacrifice. Or you are just a hypocrite.
you know Japanese?!

a (detailed) counter like the above usually wouldnt work in the offline world. more like a one-line sarcastic sucker punch needed.

You should have let that cut-let have it. Asked him to either SHUT THE FUCK UP or ask him to explain why they breed like rabbits with 4 women and then keep their whores wrapped in blankets in dark corners of their ghettos.

Dont ever keep quiet. Give it back in kind. I always do.
yes; could've begun & swiftly ended the convo with TT & halala alone - "brother has raised the right issue & i agree with him! Modi sarkaar is after our kalchurr trishool & tongs! just look what they recently submitted to the Sharia Court on issue of triple talaq!!"

Krusty

Country flag
you know Japanese?!
cleared JLPT N3 5 years ago.

a (detailed) counter like the above usually wouldnt work in the offline world. more like a one-line sarcastic sucker punch needed.
Ibrahim the true Muslim sacrificed his first Son for Allah. And you sacrifice a cow?!!? ARE YOU SAYING A COW EQUALS THE SON OF IBRAHIM?!!!?! FATWAAAAAA

Krusty

Country flag
WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?!? I can't believe this. We are treated like outsiders in our own country. Fuck secularism. And Kiran bedi needs to learn the difference between bull hugging. Yes, HUGGING which is this

IMG_2994.JPG

And animal torture, which is what Spanish bullfighting is, where the damn bull is stabbed repeatedly until it slowly dies of bloodloss

IMG_2996.JPG

Or animal sacrifice which is this
IMG_2998.JPG

Last edited:

mayfair

GoI should come out with an ordinance to allow Jalikattu this year. SC verdict can take their own sweet time.

Time for people to rise in defiance just like they did with Dahi haandi. Enough of trampling on our traditions on false grounds.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
GoI should come out with an ordinance to allow Jalikattu this year. SC verdict can take their own sweet time.

Time for people to rise in defiance just like they did with Dahi haandi. Enough of trampling on our traditions on false grounds.
Unlikely, given that this government does not seem inclined to take on the SC for religious and cultural rights of the majority religion.

All that can happen now is if people ignore the order and carry on. The state governments under whom the police operate can take a call how to handle or rather not handle it then.

The rot is much deeper though, this is systematic targeting. The need is a through investigation, government backed or academic, to document which orginazatiosn are targeting us. Then comes why and lastly how to deal with them.

indiatester

Country flag
The biggest trampling of animal "rights" or cruelty against them is actually killing them. If you really want to stop cruelty, lets start by banning beef and killing of bakri's on bakrid.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
PETA lady on NDTV was using religion angle to ban.

And the NDTV anchor was apologetic to peta lady, stupid journos think we don't know their game.

Subbu

Country flag
Tamil people should behave the same way Marathis did in last Dahi Handi festival, it was a huge celebration. Atleast these judges should know that they don't need to poke their noses everywhere against the public sentiment.

mayfair

latthi charge against college students who gathered in support of Jallikattu
Outrageous and Panneerselvam claimed that his government will allow Jalikattu to go ahead no matter what. If that were the case Mr. CM, shouldn't you have asked your police to stand back like Maharashtra did in the case of Dahi handi?

Krusty

Country flag
Outrageous and Panneerselvam claimed that his government will allow Jalikattu to go ahead no matter what. If that were the case Mr. CM, shouldn't you have asked your police to stand back like Maharashtra did in the case of Dahi handi?
O paneerselvam is a nobody. He was just a pawn of Jayalalitha and now a pawn of Sasikala. The man has no actual character and principles. The only thing he knows is falling at Ammas feet and in the process became filthy rich. He has zero decision making skills or skills to run a state. Everything has been washed away over the decades by money and service to Amma and the party. Everyone Saw how easily he buckled to Sasikala after Jayalalithas death. He is little more than a 'yes man'.

Tomorrow Pongal starts. Let's see what the people do. I just hope they let the bulls run like last time claiming they escaped in some villages. But that isn't real Jallikattu. its shameful that we have been reduced to such a state in our own county where we need to come up with excuses to practise our millennias old tradition.

mayfair

Tomorrow Pongal starts. Let's see what the people do. I just hope they let the bulls run like last time claiming they escaped in some villages. But that isn't real Jallikattu. its shameful that we have been reduced to such a state in our own county where we need to come up with excuses to practise our millennias old tradition.
Defiance in the face of oppression is the first step. All it needs is a trickle and the flood gates will open. I fully hope that the brave folks of Madurai-Theni region organise Jallikattu with all the pomp and show and reverence it deserves. I'll be in front applauding them.

I really rue missing out on getting to see Jallikattu in person when I had a small window of opportunity in 2005. But thankfully there were videos and also Kamalahasan in Virumaandi :biggrin2:

Krusty

Country flag
Defiance in the face of oppression is the first step. All it needs is a trickle and the flood gates will open. I fully hope that the brave folks of Madurai-Theni region organise Jallikattu with all the pomp and show and reverence it deserves. I'll be in front applauding them.

I really rue missing out on getting to see Jallikattu in person when I had a small window of opportunity in 2005. But thankfully there were videos and also Kamalahasan in Virumaandi :biggrin2:
Definance is slowly but surely building up in TN. Even the Tamil film industry is stepping in to voice its support publicly. Signs are looking positive.

You forgot the one of the most famous districts of all! Kangayam town from Tirupur district. :)

Kangayam kaalai (bull) is one of the most famous and sought after breeds for jallikattu. So much so that the phrase kangayam kaalai is synonymous with strength and power.

It's indigenous species to India. The milk from Kangayam cattle is very highly nutritious with very little fat. This was among the first strains to be shipped to the west and Australia. It produces A2 type milk.

Western cows produce A1 type which has lots of fat and little in the way of nutrition. I do not think it's a mere coincidence that the cases of schizophrenia, autism and a host of other ailments that children are likely to develop is disproportionally high in the west.

Back to the topic, wish all DFI'ians (special shout out to @Razor ) a very happy Pongal! And please stand by those who support Jallikattu! Show your support to Pongal and Jallikattu in any way you can, a post on facebook, a tweet, verbal wish to a Friend or colleague. Every little action counts.

:india2:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles