Is the Koran a copy of the Old Testament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemontree

Professional
There are many similarities in the Koran and the Old Testament. Could the Koran be a copy of the Old Testament, with its Arabic variation?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is a whole lot of commonality including the Hadith!

trackwhack

Nonsense - the commonalities are due to the common root origin of both religions, nothing more

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nonsense - the commonalities are due to the common root origin of both religions, nothing more
So, you wish to convey that is merely old wine packed in a new bottle?

trackwhack

So, you wish to convey that is merely old wine packed in a new bottle?
No, I wish to convey that a bit of the Koran has the same set of lineage and hence same characters and historical references. The bulk of the Koran is a Mohammedan religious doctrine. The Koran openly acknowledges Abraham (Ibrahim), Jesus, David, Ismael etc as prophets/characters of religious significance. That does not mean the Koran is a translation of the Old Testament. Thats non-sense. Please don't try to mince words. I wished to convey what I wrote and there is nothing ambiguous about it.

Galaxy

Country flag
Actually, I never able to understood the true concept of Islam and Koran. Different people have different interpretation of Islam. 99% Muslims ancestors were from other religions. Still, Don't know why Muslims hates Non-Muslims and try to pretend themselves as supreme. Muslims don't even believe in evolution but there was world even before 6th century.

Koran is just a holy book as per prophet narration. No one can say, what was his exact version in 6th century. Even Alwaites, Ismailis, Shi'as, Alevi,Shufi, Ahmediya,Twelever, Chisti have different version.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Koran = Mixture of all religion. (As Islam is one of the newest religion). It took help from many religion from Abrahamic religion. [Many things are common between them]. rest from ancestral religion.

In 6th century, Most of the civilization were rich and prospering like various Indian kingdom, Chinese, Persian, Greeks, Romans, East Asia, etc.

90% people were following some religion, There was hardly any country left for another new religion, So Islam spread with the help of Invasion and based on concept of expansionism. Like Persian, Kurdistan, India, Turkey, Indonesia, Africa, etc.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Galaxy, there are no different versions of The Quran, only different interpretation. Interpretation causes problems when an idiot tried to interpret it. That's when you have people like Mobammed Wahab and his ilk.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
It would be interesting to bring scholars of three religions Jews, Christians and Muslims together for a debate on this very topic. I wonder if any one has compared them verse by verse in the past. I would also like to add to this one more point, How much of that was taken from Rig vedas, Upnishads and teachings in Gita.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Galaxy, there are no different versions of The Quran, only different interpretation. Interpretation causes problems when an idiot tried to interpret it. That's when you have people like Mobammed Wahab and his ilk.
Well I agree with you and that is true for all religion.

But you will surely agree with me that Islam is not flexible religion. There are set of rules which everyone should follow.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The one who started Wahabism had good reasons as per him.

In fact, he was against all forms of adulation, rites (which to him was return to paganism) and his basic aim was to focus love for the Prophet and Allah alone.

In fact, if one can study Islam without any bias, it is a very interesting religion, notwithstanding the various interpretations.

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
90% people were following some religion, There was hardly any country left for another new religion, So Islam spread with the help of Invasion and based on concept of expansionism. Like Persian, Kurdistan, India, Turkey, Indonesia, Africa, etc.
OT

It's not that simple, nomadic Arabs didn't stand a chance against the prevailing imperial powers of those times

What happened was..... Sassanid Iran and the Byzantine Empire are were always at war. After a particularly devastating war (Byzantine–Sassanid War of 602–628 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), both sides suffered insane losses. This was an excellent opportunity for the Arabs to invade these weakened powers,this is how Islam quickly spread to Persia, Egypt and Africa

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Well I agree with you and that is true for all religion.

But you will surely agree with me that Islam is not flexible language. There are set of rules which everyone should follow.
That's your interpretation and thinking. Sharia is actually very flexible. The modern day "custodians" of Islam have made it inflexible.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sharia cannot be flexible since Ijtihad was discontinued from the 10th Century since it was felt that none has the knowledge to interpret the nuances of the Quaran and the Hadith.

Sharia is inviolate.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sharia cannot be flexible since Ijtihad was discontinued from the 10th Century since it was felt that none has the knowledge to interpret the nuances of the Quaran and the Hadith.

Sharia is inviolate.
The answer to that is not in the scope of this forum.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One could be a faqih, a mufti, a qadi yet not be a mujtahid who derives new rulings.

A mujtahid mutlaq or "absolute mujtahid" is one that attained the rank of the Four Imams Abu Hanifa, Malik, al-Shafi`i, and Ahmad in knowledge of Arabic, qualification to apply legal reasoning, draw analogies, and infer rulings from the evidence independently of the methodology and findings of the Sunni Schools, through his own linguistic and juridical perspicuity and extensive knowledge of the texts.

There is no mujtahid mutlaq today nor even a claimant to that title.

The qualifications for a mujtahid were set out in the 11th century by by Abul Husayn al-Basri in "al Mu'tamad fi Usul al-Fiqh". These were accepted by later Sunni scholars, including al-Ghazali, although al-Ghazali believed that innovation had ended, as there was nobody qualified to be a Mujtahid. Such qualifications require proficiency in Shari'ah and its interpretation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The answer to that is not in the scope of this forum.
You raised an issue that Sharia is flexible.

I merely pointed out that it cannot be flexible since ijtihad was no longer in vogue.

I fail to understand how my replying to your views is out of the scope of the forum.

I merely replied to what you had written!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles