INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

DMF

DMF - I feel for you. I admire China in some ways for their never say die attitude and getting things done no matter what. I have many chinese friends and I admire them a lot.
But, I just do not trust or like the CCP leadership. They have been saying something and doing exactly the opposite. They have been claiming the neighboring areas citing various historical "chinese" Kingdoms. Tibet from 500 years back, Manchuria from 300 years back, Indochina from a thousand years back. Whenever and wherever it has suited them they have claimed a part of neighboring land citing some arcane and old Chinese Kingdom. I am surprised that they have not claimed Siberia, Mongolia and Eastern Europe from the days of Chenghis Khan! :D
But humor aside, CCP has been making claims on Indian territory for the last 60 years. They have signed several treaties with India and then forgot to honor them on multiple occasions. They have feigned friendship with us and then supplied Pakistan with key military technologies. Which is why we find it hard to trust them ...
haha, here we are talking about carriers, not the disgusting CCP. Some rumors say that: the first two China's indigenous carriers, one are built near the Varyag in Dalian city, will have steam catapult, the other will be built in Shanghai, will have electric catapult, Haha, at least the test of both catapults are under way, this is the common sense in the forum. The next two carriers will be unclear powered, now the unclear reactor for the vessel is not ready, still working on. It was said that eventually China will have 6 carrier fleets and one trainer, Haha, all rumor and wet dreams of the military fun boys you know, the government does not give any info. But you know, China's military spending in the military industries are not counted as the military budget, that's a lot of money.
China not take India as an enemy you know, have no intention to take any of your land, China only want to make her people safe and prosper. Also China likes India's way of development, India still consume relatively small amount of natural materials, but in future, if competition for the resources intensified, then trouble will happen.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
haha, here we are talking about carriers, not the disgusting CCP. Some rumors say that: the first two China's indigenous carriers, one are built near the Varyag in Dalian city, will have steam catapult, the other will be built in Shanghai, will have electric catapult, Haha, at least the test of both catapults are under way, this is the common sense in the forum. The next two carriers will be unclear powered, now the unclear reactor for the vessel is not ready, still working on. It was said that eventually China will have 6 carrier fleets and one trainer, Haha, all rumor and wet dreams of the military fun boys you know, the government does not give any info. But you know, China's military spending in the military industries are not counted as the military budget, that's a lot of money.
China not take India as an enemy you know, have no intention to take any of your land, China only want to make her people safe and prosper. Also China likes India's way of development, India still consume relatively small amount of natural materials, but in future, if competition for the resources intensified, then trouble will happen.
please provide more information about the highlighted lines.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Dude - I WILL NOT BELIEVE THAT TILL I SEE THE PICTS in some reputed journals/ websites. the "electric" catapaults have not even been tested by the USN although they started work on it back in the 80s. China started work on similar stuff post 2005. If you tell me China has built something that the US could not build in 30 years, I have to laugh ...

sorry - need proof.

DMF

Haha, all the times when I say anything, I told Indian friends here that what I get are rumors and wet dreams from some Chinese forums, the forums are for funs only, not some thing serious, so without rumors, wet dreams ,proud and hatred will be a bore. Also I condemned the Chinese government many times for their tight mouth attitude.
"no photo, no truth", means without a photo, it can't be proven. So far the photos of the China's first indigenous carrier is not available, but will show up in about 6monthes,haha, a wet dream.
About the electric catapult, the USA already finish the develop, will be used on their carriers. " the "electric" catapaults have not even been tested by the USN although they started work on it back in the 80s. China started work on similar stuff post 2005. If you tell me China has built something that the US could not build in 30 years, I have to laugh .".. to make a catapult is matter of industrial ability, the USA can do, and already showed the rope, so the other country should be able to do it faster then 30years, right? China now working on copying the USA, there are many projects the USA just have developed China also are working on them, but no photo, no truth, only lot of wet dreams and fun

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
HA HA and more HA HA.

Please give your details clearly without too many of this HA HA. It distracts!

plugwater

Aircraft-carrier launch delayed by few weeks

New Delhi, November 10
India's poor record in meeting deadlines of defence projects has now hit the prestigious sea-borne aircraft carrier which is under construction at the Defence Ministry-owned Cochin shipyard in Kerala.

Despite a laid-down schedule and strict vigil by Defence Minister AK Antony, the planned sea launch, slated for December, has been postponed.

There has been a delay in the amalgamation of some critical components on board the 40,000 tonne aircraft carrier, said sources, hence the slight delay. The launch would be delayed by a few weeks, said officials.
This is India's first attempt at building a sea-borne aircraft carrier on its own. A modular construction pattern (block-building method) is being followed. Complete blocks are built off site and then fitted into place. This is said to be a faster method of construction and is followed by leading European shipyards.
During the monsoon session of Parliament, Defence Minister AK Antony, answering a query in the Lok Sabha, said that 75 per cent of hull work had been completed and the ship would be launched in December. Additional work will be undertaken after the warship has been commissioned.
One of the reasons for the delay is the final fitment of the four General Electric-supplied LM 2500 engines.
The building of a ship of this size is divided into seven phases: design, construction planning, work prior to keel laying, ship erection, launching, final outfitting and sea trials. The keel of the ship was laid in February 2009. The last two steps - final outfitting and sea trials - are carried out after the launch. As per the original schedule, the warship is to be handed over to the Indian Navy by the end of 2013.
The Indian Navy has, in the past, operated two such aircraft carriers - the INS Vikrant and INS Viraat - but both had been imported. INS Viraat is still in service. Besides this, the Navy is expected to operate three aircraft carriers by 2015, which include Admiral Gorshkov being imported from Russia that is expected join the fleet next year and the one being built at Cochin.
After the sea launch, hundreds of km of wiring will be laid. A flight deck, capable of operating the Russian MiG-29K, Kamov-31 choppers and the indigenous naval light combat aircraft Tejas, will be laid. The vessel will have two take-off runways and landing will be done using arrester wires. It will have the capacity to carry a maximum of 30 aircraft with hangars to house these.
India's neighbour China is aiming to induct three such carriers by 2015.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Nation

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Haha, all the times when I say anything, I told Indian friends here that what I get are rumors and wet dreams from some Chinese forums, the forums are for funs only, not some thing serious, so without rumors, wet dreams ,proud and hatred will be a bore. Also I condemned the Chinese government many times for their tight mouth attitude.
"no photo, no truth", means without a photo, it can't be proven. So far the photos of the China's first indigenous carrier is not available, but will show up in about 6monthes,haha, a wet dream.
About the electric catapult, the USA already finish the develop, will be used on their carriers. " the "electric" catapaults have not even been tested by the USN although they started work on it back in the 80s. China started work on similar stuff post 2005. If you tell me China has built something that the US could not build in 30 years, I have to laugh .".. to make a catapult is matter of industrial ability, the USA can do, and already showed the rope, so the other country should be able to do it faster then 30years, right? China now working on copying the USA, there are many projects the USA just have developed China also are working on them, but no photo, no truth, only lot of wet dreams and fun
Dude - no matter how many Hahas and Hehes you put in, the fact remains that EMALS is NOT installed in any US carrier now, nor is it going to be installed in the first Ford class carrier coming out in 2015. If you know otherwise, you must be more knowledgeable than the US Navy website, which for some reason I find hard to believe.
The "electric catapault" as you say is nothing new - it has been tested for Rail guns - since the mid-90s. But developing one for launching an aircraft is far more serious than you give it credit for. A rail gun launches a piece of metal you no longer care about - a EMALS catapault launches a $50+ million aircraft with weapons and a pilot, which the US navy does care about - I am sure the PLAN will too. So, it needs WAY more development and proof than your wet dreams word.

The pictures of the PLAN aircraft carrier has come out in 2009 then again in 2010 - maybe you have not seen it in China, but we have in "our internet" - if you want I can even post a couple. Trust me - if PLAN was launching a EMALS catapault carrier - it will be all over "our internet".
So, cut the cr@p and show some sources for your claims ...

Galaxy

Country flag
Navy aircraft carrier misses 1st launch deadline

New Delhi, November 28, 2011

India's ambitious plan to build an aircraft carrier, an important component of the navy's blue water aspirations, at home has missed its first launch deadline.

The ship, known as Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) before it is christened, was scheduled for a 'float-out' this December.

In the long process to build a ship, float-out is the second stage after the laying of keel.

The IAC's keel was laid in February 2009 after work started in November 2006. It was estimated then that it would be ready to float in two years.

The launch now is expected to take place in the first quarter of 2012, if the progress is swift. The aircraft carrier is being built at the Cochin Shipyard, where a lot is at stake for the success of the project, the first of its kind undertaken in the country.

It might still take at least four years between the first and the final launch and officials are guardedly optimistic about its planned entry into the naval fleet by 2015.

As the impact of the delay in the first launch on the delivery of the warship is still being assessed, there is a realisation of the fact that building an aircraft carrier from scratch at home is a complex project attempted by few in the world.

The immediate comparison is drawn with China, which is building Varyag, a retired Soviet-era carrier. India has a definite edge over China in the field of carrier operations.

The government had committed Rs.3,261 crore for the first phase of the IAC. The officials attribute the delay to the technical complexities as the first phase was the most crucial in terms of keeping the noise signatures under check.

The IAC is being powered by four GE LM 2500 gas turbine engines that would propel the 37,000 tonne warship at 28 knots. There was a problem in the gear box and the long shaft that also contributed to the delay. The floating airfield has been designed to handle operations of at least 30 Mig-29 K and maritime version of the under-development light combat aircraft, apart from Seaking and Kamov 31 helicopters.

India had initially planned to design a Sea Control Ship, a 25,000tonne catapult-and-ski jump version. But designs were altered often because of the high costs involved.

Navy aircraft carrier misses 1st launch deadline : North News - India Today

cir

4 GE LM2500s?Where are India's own engines?:rofl:

Judging by India's past record in building frigates and destroyers, it would be lucky to have this IAC commissioned in 2018.

SHASH2K2

4 GE LM2500s?Where are India's own engines?:rofl:

Judging by India's past record in building frigates and destroyers, it would be lucky to have this IAC commissioned in 2018.
I guess engines for chinese ships and Ac are coming from mars. :rofl:
you should know that china also has to buy engines for its ships.:laugh:

SHASH2K2

do some research before you get the conclusion.
well research and development is something chinese are good at . Why dont you do a research and tell me where china is getting engines for its ships. I believe Chinese plan to set up a space station and will start trading engines with aliens.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
The official also said that that indigenous Indian Aircraft Carrier- 1 (IAC-1), INS Vikrant, is expected to operate under the Eastern Naval Command. INS Kadamba, the latest Naval base in Karwar too has the capability to handle INS Vikramaditya. Regarding the decommissioning of INS Viraat, the official said that the ship is good to go for another 10 years as India has developed excellent indigenous support infrastructure for the carrier. On the prospect of IAC-2, the official said that it is under planning stage and is expected to be of same size and design as IAC-1. http://frontierindia.net/indiandefence/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/INS-Viraat-flight-Deck.jpg

Separately, on 2nd October, Vice Admiral (VADM) DK Joshi, who is the Flag Officer commanding, Western Naval Command, during a press conference on INS Viraat, had informed Frontier India that INS Vikramaditya is scheduled to begin an extensive sea trials early 2012 and will last till the end of 2012. After the trials, the carrier will be ready for induction in early 2013. He also informed that that the IAC-1 has been delayed indefinitely. He expressed his satisfaction with the LUSH upgrades for the Sea Harriers and said that the capabilities have increased manifold, which will make up for the lower numbers.

http://frontierindia.net/indiandefence/ins-vikramaditya-to-operate-from-mumbai/

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
[h=2]Elecon to supply gears for India's first aircraft carrier[/h]
Published December 26, 2011

SOURCE: BUSINESS STANDARDS

SAMPLE IMAGE
Gujarat-based industrial gears and material handling equipment maker Elecon Engineering Ltd is likely to deliver a pair of marine gearbox to the public sector shipbuilding major, Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) for construction of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy in the first quarter of the next fiscal, a source close to the development informed.
Elecon has joined hands with a German capital goods maker, Renk AG for a technical collaboration to build the marine gears for the Indian Navy. "The order for a pair of marine gears from Cochin Shipyard is likely to be delivered by the March 2012 or latest by the first quarter of the next fiscal. There were certain preconditions to qualify for the order. As a part of it, the company had entered into technical collaboration with German firm, Renk AG," said a senior official from Elecon.
"The components are manufactured at the company's facility in Vallabh Vidyanagar near Anand and then sent to Germany for testing required quality standards," he added.
Elecon was awarded the order in 2006 amounting to around Rs 39 crore for design, manufacture and supply of one set of marine gearbox from Cochin Shipyard Limited to construct India's first indigenous aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy.
Sources at Cochin Shipyard informed that the first phase of the construction of the carrier will be over by December-end that includes completion of the construction till the hull part of the carrier.
"By the end of this month, the first phase of contract would be over and the construction till hull part of the ship will be completed. The construction is largely progressing as per the schedule and comparable with the time taken by any global shipbuilding player," informed a source at Cochin Shipyard, not willing to be quoted.
The ship will be constructed in two phases with delivery to the Indian Navy scheduled in end-2014. CSL commenced steel cutting for the project in April 2005 and achieved the keel laying in February 2009.
The design and construction of the first indigenous aircraft carrier was sanctioned by the government of India in January 2003. The carrier has been designed by the Directorate of Naval Design (DND), only government-run organisation in the world to undertake indigenous design of warships. The carrier, with a a length of 260 meter and maximum breadth of 60 meters, is being constructed using high strength steel developed in-house with the help of DRDO and SAIL.
The ship will be propelled by two shafts, each coupled to two LM-2500 gas turbines developing a total power of 80 megawatt to attain speeds in excess of 28 knots.
The aircraft carrier will have two takeoff runways and a landing strip with three arrester wires. It can carry a maximum of 30 aircraft with an adequate hangarage capacity.

Elecon to supply gears for India’s first aircraft carrier | idrw.org

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The official also said that that indigenous Indian Aircraft Carrier- 1 (IAC-1), INS Vikrant, is expected to operate under the Eastern Naval Command. INS Kadamba, the latest Naval base in Karwar too has the capability to handle INS Vikramaditya. Regarding the decommissioning of INS Viraat, the official said that the ship is good to go for another 10 years as India has developed excellent indigenous support infrastructure for the carrier. On the prospect of IAC-2, the official said that it is under planning stage and is expected to be of same size and design as IAC-1.

Separately, on 2nd October, Vice Admiral (VADM) DK Joshi, who is the Flag Officer commanding, Western Naval Command, during a press conference on INS Viraat, had informed Frontier India that INS Vikramaditya is scheduled to begin an extensive sea trials early 2012 and will last till the end of 2012. After the trials, the carrier will be ready for induction in early 2013. He also informed that that the IAC-1 has been delayed indefinitely. He expressed his satisfaction with the LUSH upgrades for the Sea Harriers and said that the capabilities have increased manifold, which will make up for the lower numbers.

INS Vikramaditya to operate from Mumbai - Indian Defence
While the first highlighted statement do not match with Admiral Verma's statement,

The second highlighted part do not seems like a pleasant development, I suppose.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Elecon to supply gears for India's first aircraft carrier

Gujarat-based industrial gears and material handling equipment maker Elecon Engineering Ltd is likely to deliver a pair of marine gearbox to the public sector shipbuilding major, Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) for construction of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy in the first quarter of the next fiscal, a source close to the development informed.

Sources at Cochin Shipyard informed that the first phase of the construction of the carrier will be over by December-end that includes completion of the construction till the hull part of the carrier.
"By the end of this month, the first phase of contract would be over and the construction till hull part of the ship will be completed. The construction is largely progressing as per the schedule and comparable with the time taken by any global shipbuilding player," informed a source at Cochin Shipyard, not willing to be quoted.

Anshu Attri

Country flag
Navy floats out first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier

Navy floats out first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier | idrw.org

The first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) of the Navy was floated out at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), at a low-key event attended by senior shipping and naval officers on Thursday.

Among those present were Union Shipping Secretary K. Mohandas; Rear Admiral K.N. Vaidyanathan, Director General, Naval Design; and Commodore K. Subramaniam, Chairman and Managing Director of CSL.

The floating ceremony was followed by a meeting to review the progress in the work being done on the aircraft carrier, a 40,000-tonne fleet air defence platform of the Navy, which will be named after the legendary INS Vikrant. The Union Shipping Secretary told The Hindu that the work on the carrier was progressing, albeit not as per schedule, as so many variables were being factored into the extremely complex construction process.

The official added that the commissioning of the carrier, the keel of which was laid in February 2009, was likely to overshoot its original timeline.

According to a senior naval functionary, the carrier was 'technically floated out' as the shipyard needed the dry-dock for 'some other commercial work.' "The carrier has taken on about 14,000 tonnes. She would now undergo interior outfitting, including the laying of pipes before being dry-docked again in the latter half of next year for integration of the propulsion gear-box, generators and the like," he told The Hindu.

As earlier reported by The Hindu, a delay in the delivery of gear boxes and associated systems had considerably slowed down the construction of the prestigious carrier. Naval officers, however, put on a brave face saying that the phase in which teething trouble was encountered was over. "The gear box is ready and undergoing trials, at last. The underwater package is all lined up but the rest of the equipment has to be identified and tested," said a naval source.

After facing initial hiccups due to paucity of supply of steel, the carrier project got the much-required thrust with the Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) and the Steel Authority of India (SAIL) fashioning carrier-grade steel indigenously.

After the steel supply stabilised, problems pertaining to quality gearbox put the brakes on the project. Elecon Engineering Company Limited, a Gujarat-based firm which had earlier manufactured CODOG marine gear boxes for the Navy's Shivalik-class stealth frigates, found itself in the red attempting to make the carrier's huge main gearboxes. "They have been able to overcome the difficulties with support from a German firm," said a Navy officer.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Indian Aircraft Carrier Plods On, Floats

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2011

The Hindu reports today that the hull of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC) was floated out of its dry-dock at an unannounced ceremony. The facility, it appears, was required for urgent commercial work at the shipyard. The actual launch is expected to take place a year from now. Timelines have already slipped significantly in what is by far India's most ambitious shipbuilding effort yet. Previously intended for commissioning in 2013, the INS Vikrant (as it will be christened, after India's first carrier) is likely to enter service only in 2015.

Livefist: Indian Aircraft Carrier Plods On, Floats

plugwater

Anshu Attri , You always bring us good news!! Keep up the good work.

What commercial work ? Why it is more important than our aircraft carrier ? If they are clearing the dock for second IAC means *drool*

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles