INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
Any information about the two MF STAR Radars for Single Carrier, what will be the primary Air Traffic Radar
Those are not two, but one MF-STAR system, split between two domes. The dome near the bow scans front and right; the dome near the stern scans left and rear. They did this so there are no obstacles caused by other structures on top of the island.

vram

Country flag
That puppy looks good. Though have to say from the amount of work that appears to be remaining, I think this one will definitely take another 2 years for basin trails. Darn! I was hoping that they would be able to complete the work before that...seeing as there is a new fire to get things done.
By the way does any one know what will happen to that berth it was floated out from? Are there any comercial orders pending with Cochin yard at the moment. If the GOI follows up with another order for Vikrant class that would be awesome

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
If the GOI follows up with another order for Vikrant class that would be awesome
This will be the only ship of its kind. Next AC is Vishal-class (70,000+ tonne, nuclear propulsion, CATOBAR).

Bheeshma

Catobar and nuclear propulsion are big steps. I think another Vikrant makes a lot of sense. Also the the same hull can be used for LHD's 20-30 K displacement.

Compersion

Country flag
we ought to have one more vikrant started shortly alongside a vishal ...

we ought to also try and sell a vikrant to a country ...

Defencearts

vipulmb.blogspot.in/2014/09/exclusive-pictures-aircraft-carrier-ins.html

Will begin to look like this.

The pics are too big so not posting here.
Awesome pics. I also found a video that has the same renders.

we ought to have one more vikrant started shortly alongside a vishal ...

we ought to also try and sell a vikrant to a country ...
I am confused. Isn't INS Vishal also called Vikrant class even though it is thought to be bigger?

lookieloo

I am confused. Isn't INS Vishal also called Vikrant class even though it is thought to be bigger?
For many years, the only thing known for sure was that India was planning to build two carriers. The first one was called "Vikrant," ergo, we got the "Vikrant-class." More recently, it was decided that the second carrier would be larger, but it seems no one could be bothered to change the official/unofficial documentation.

FWIW, I think it makes more sense to repeat the Vikrant design and make plans to integrate EMALS (and modify the decks) during scheduled overhauls on both ships. The supercarrier can wait until Vikramaditya retires.

V_Force

Country flag
My Little effort to compare both Viki and Vikrant.
Both images captured from the same altitude on the google earth. Landing strip length is almost same but the take off runway of viki is longer it is my assumption only. I am not an expert.

INS VIKRAMADITYA COMPARISON copy.jpg

Last edited:

archie

Country flag
Wont the take of starting points be different as well making the actual run distance roughly the same

Kharavela

Country flag
As the debate to construct 2nd A/C with design & characteristics of Vikrant, I request our Moderators to have a poll on this issue.
I fully support repeat of Vikrant design. Hard earned capabilities of Cochin Shipyard should not be wasted

mahesh

Country flag
Why are we trying to get CATOBAR technology from USA, doesn't russia have anything to offer us in this field ?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Country flag
I know, Indian Navy doesn't have the tradition of a "flagship," but will IAC1 become the flagship? It's smaller than Vicky, but newer?

The enlightened

Why are we trying to get CATOBAR technology from USA, doesn't russia have anything to offer us in this field ?
Nobody apart from Americans presently has any catapult tech. French carrier also uses American catapult. Brazil's French carrier IDK. Brits might have had catapults in the good old days. Russia is no where on the scene.

Articles