India's Nuclear Doctrine

Should India have tested a Megaton warhead during Pokran?

• Total voters

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Its about preventing the one that is bent to come and save lives. striking a larger area where you are anticipating the missile is going to be lunched from is more dependable than putting your bet on a ABM. What will happen next can be thought. But first you have to take on the first one.
No!
Striking their launch pads is not more dependable than ABMs.
That way you are assuring a retaliatory nuclear strike on the country.
Even if they didn't plan to, our actions with ensure that a nuke comes our way.

And no, its not as simple as "What will happen next can be thought. But first you have to take on the first". Nuclear strikes are no jokes. The consequences are...well...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Not heard of them having any silos. It's all mobile launchers.

Pintu

Agreed with DD, an ABM countermeasure means hitting a bullet with a bullet , and it is not 100% secure and in case the MIRV launched by India , I think you are meaning the underground silos for launching ABMs.

Regards

Country flag
Disagreement in what sense?. Now we have cold-start strategy, where we will have their lands even before they run to their masters and other international fora without crossing the nuclear threshold.
the latest threat to use nukes came from the delusion that we will stop the water flow from Indus water treaty to pakistan, this is a non military scenario where pakistan is willing to use nukes.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Hmmm....agreed with DD, Soham and Yousuf.......putting down my gun..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
:rofl: the way you said it...as if I am really throwing nukes like darts to pakistan.
A first strike by India with the aresenel it has is like playing darts only. Ifbit hits bulls eye, well and good. If not, we will face the consequences.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
the latest threat to se nukes came from the delusion that we will stop the water flow from Indus water treaty to pakistan.
Its highly unlikely that they will go for nuclear attacks over water. There will be neutral arbiter to solve any of the ongoing water disputes between India and Pakistan. This is what happened before and will happen in future. Last time we got a favorable judgement on the usage of water by India and I'm sure it will be the same this time also.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
the latest threat to use nukes came from the delusion that we will stop the water flow from Indus water treaty to pakistan, this is a non military scenario where pakistan is willing to use nukes.
Barking dogs, seldom bite.
Threats are just thst. It's to get international attention and probably intervention.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
A first strike by India with the aresenel it has is like playing darts only. Ifbit hits bulls eye, well and good. If not, we will face the consequences.
Not to mention the boards can maneuver and multiply, while the darts can't.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
wait ! let others jump in ..You three have to explain it again and again...
Won't be required if they read the thread from the beginning. If they don't, we will ask them to.

But I would sure appreciate a counter to our arguments for a first strike.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
We have to keep in mind why GOI declared no first use policy in 1999. It was for avoiding UN sanction. But there can be change in any policy that is declared unilaterally. Here we are talking about ABM system. But we have to keep in mind the reaction time between India and Pakistan is very less. So there will always be a question mark on the effectiveness of our ABM system.

If during a war India use nuclear weapon in first strike;for this there is not going to be any trail for War crimes. But I am quite sure that if there is a war between India and Pakistan it will be a nuclear war. (If US let Pakistan have its nuclear weapon)

Country flag
We have to keep in mind why GOI declared no first use policy in 1999. It was for avoiding UN sanction. But there can be change in any policy that is declared unilaterally. Here we are talking about ABM system. But we have to keep in mind the reaction time between India and Pakistan is very less. So there will always be a question mark on the effectiveness of our ABM system.

If during a war India use nuclear weapon in first strike;for this there is not going to be any trail for War crimes. But I am quite sure that if there is a war between India and Pakistan it will be a nuclear war. (If US let Pakistan have its nuclear weapon)
I don't agree NSG during Kargil both had nuclear weapons and none were used though the threat remained.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
ABM will be on a automatic mode - lock, stock and barrel. It will search, track, detect and destroy the missile at various possible stages. The reaction time will be very quick.

During a war India use nuclear weapon in first strike. For the there is not going to any trail for War crimes. But I am quite sure that if there is a war between India and Pakistan it will be a nuclear war. (If US let Pakistan have its nuclear weapon)
Why are you so sure that it will be a nuclear war?. Can you describe the scenario?.

NSG_Blackcats

I don't agree NSG during Kargil both had nuclear weapons and none were used though the treat remained.
Kargil was not a full fledged war between India and Pakistan. India forces never crossed the LOC. Till date Pakistan do not officially admit that its army regular were involved in Kargil War. Have it been a full fledged war thing might have been different.

Country flag
Kargil was not a full fledged war between India and Pakistan. India forces never crossed the LOC. Till date Pakistan do not officially admit that its army regular were involved in Kargil War. Have it been a full fledged war thing might have been different.
any use of nukes by Pakistan will guarantee their destruction.

NSG_Blackcats

ABM will be on a automatic mode - lock, stock and barrel. It will search, track, detect and destroy the missile at various possible stages. The reaction time will be very quick.
Do you really believe that Indian ABM system is better than Patriot System or Arrow System or US ABM? The US ABM is still in a development stage. We have only Patriot System that was deployed during the Gulf war and everyone knows its success rate.

Why are you so sure that it will be a nuclear war?. Can you describe the scenario?.
Now suppose a missile is fired from Pakistan. Who can guarantee that it is a conventional one or with nuclear warhead? Now do you feel Indian Govt. will wait for a nuclear strike before it strikes back? I have my doubt.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
The only other option is a first strike, the cons of which have been discussed throughout the length of this thread.
If you disagree with any of the points, so raise your opinion.

Highly doubt it. Nukes will just be used as a last resort to keep one side from totally annihilating the other.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles