Indian-Origin Sikh elected mayor of historic US city

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Indian-origin Sikh elected mayor of historic US city

Satyendra Singh Huja, a Sikh American, has been unanimously elected as the mayor of Charlottesville, a historic city in Virginia.Huja, who originally comes from Nainital in Uttarakhand , was elected mayor of Charlottesville early this month.
Incidentally, Huja is the only Sikh resident of Charlottesville, nearly 120 miles south west of Washington, having a population of 43,000.The other Sikhs in this city are students of the Virginia University.Notably, Charlottesville is home to three American Presidents -- Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe."It says a great deal about our community that someone like me can become mayor. Our community appreciates diversity," Huja was quoted as saying by the local The Daily Progress.
"As the mayor, I will work with City Council for a future agenda for the community," said Huja who has been elected for the two-year term.
"I will listen to the desires and concerns of the citizens, residents and businesses. I'm accessible 24/7 to hear your concerns and ideas. As mayor, I will work my very best to protect the interests of our community. I will work to enhance the quality of life and the environment, so that Charlottesville can be a great city, a great community for all of its residents," he said.
According to his campaign website, Huja came to the US in 1960 and has been a resident of this city for the past 38 years. He was city's director of planning and strategic from 1973 to 2004.In 2007, he was elected as the City Council member.Huja, who holds masters in Urban Planning, also teaches at the University of Virginia.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Jolly good.

Char de Kalan!

anoop_mig25

Country flag
sorry to distrub the party but we indians make so much noise when any indian-origin persons makes big in governing of USA . i mean obama had appointed a large number of indian origin people and i am yet to see they making a significance to INDIAN-AMERICAN relationship.(i may be wrong here)

sukhish

did he get elected because of the minority quota reservation.

Blackwater

sorry to distrub the party but we indians make so much noise when any indian-origin persons makes big in governing of USA . i mean obama had appointed a large number of indian origin people and i am yet to see they making a significance to INDIAN-AMERICAN relationship.(i may be wrong here)
Yes you are wrong. IF, India and USA are closer than ever is becoz of Somali pirates living in USA...????:cool2::cool2::p

Blackwater

USA is not India,There is no bullshit called minority reservation quota,This bullshit Quota system can only happen in India...

Blackwater

Indian-origin Sikh elected mayor of historic US city

Satyendra Singh Huja, a Sikh American, has been unanimously elected as the mayor of Charlottesville, a historic city in Virginia.Huja, who originally comes from Nainital in Uttarakhand , was elected mayor of Charlottesville early this month.
Incidentally, Huja is the only Sikh resident of Charlottesville, nearly 120 miles south west of Washington, having a population of 43,000.The other Sikhs in this city are students of the Virginia University.Notably, Charlottesville is home to three American Presidents -- Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe."It says a great deal about our community that someone like me can become mayor. Our community appreciates diversity," Huja was quoted as saying by the local The Daily Progress.
"As the mayor, I will work with City Council for a future agenda for the community," said Huja who has been elected for the two-year term.
"I will listen to the desires and concerns of the citizens, residents and businesses. I'm accessible 24/7 to hear your concerns and ideas. As mayor, I will work my very best to protect the interests of our community. I will work to enhance the quality of life and the environment, so that Charlottesville can be a great city, a great community for all of its residents," he said.
According to his campaign website, Huja came to the US in 1960 and has been a resident of this city for the past 38 years. He was city's director of planning and strategic from 1973 to 2004.In 2007, he was elected as the City Council member.Huja, who holds masters in Urban Planning, also teaches at the University of Virginia.
para in RED is answer to your silly Q:cool2::cool2::cool2:

KS

Bye bye DFI
He is an American..not an Indian.

though good for him.

sukhish

I think all the white skin dalits and minorities voted for him. with UP assembly polls comming close, my brain is just fixed with dalits, reservations OBC etc etc.
I don't know I just can't get that out of my head. I think even in US there is dalit and OBC cast. they haven't identified them as yet. I think indian's living in the U.S should slowly start to introduce this system and with god's grace after about 50 years we can have a significant white dalits asking to reservation in the U.S too. Mr Huja should start this campain.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
There is no party here but at the same time no need to put question marks where Indians are coming in limelight specially a country which used to be anti-Indian.
You can't deny that US today is pro-India to big extent and both countries have become closer than ever, though you can't expect US to shed it's global policies just because of India.NRI people will surely create bridges between the 2 countries.Even being a minority ie <1% of US population Indians are known more than ever.Sikh being elected is a bigger news than Jindal,Nikki,Sunita,Rajiv,Vivek,Neal or other Indians because there is a BIG misunderstanding among American regarding Sikhs where lot of hate crimes have happened due to sheer ignorance and cultural distances.But we need to remember that these people are US citizens and would remain loyal to US(they should be) but the "Indian-Origin" phrase would be attached to their identity forever.They would always be loyal to US but they would try their best to have friendly relations with the place where they originated.
Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sukhish

I say it again he won because of OBC , dalit and minority votes. and may be this seat was reserved for backward people.

Blackwater

I say it again he won because of OBC , dalit and minority votes. and may be this seat was reserved for backward people.
Read the article before you comment.

According to his campaign website, Huja came to the US in 1960 and has been a resident of this city for the past 38 years. He was city's director of planning and strategic from 1973 to 2004.In 2007, he was elected as the City Council member.Huja, who holds masters in Urban Planning, also teaches at the University of Virginia.[/COLOR]

Mexicans,Pakis, Bangla manush,lankans also considers as OBC , i did't see them in those positions....

Last edited:

sukhish

there is a lot of white OBC's and dalits in the U.S also. it's just that in U.S they don't call them with that name. I think he might have done some of kind
of social engineering like mayawati did in UP back in 2007. without white OBC, dalit support it's hard to become a mayor where he is the only minority. I think he might have sparked the inner instict of those white skin dalits and OBC. In every country there are dalits and OBC's, Indians just have to go and make them realize. In comming years I see a lot reservation demand cropping UP in U.S and EU countries. good for them.

sukhish

there is a lot of white OBC's and dalits in the U.S also. it's just that in U.S they don't call them with that name. I think he might have done some of kind of social engineering like mayawati did in UP back in 2007. without white OBC, dalit support it's hard to become a mayor where he is the only minority. I think he might have sparked the inner instict of those white skin dalits and OBC. In every country there are dalits and OBC's, Indians just have to go and make them realize. In comming years I see a lot reservation demand cropping UP in U.S and EU countries. good for them.

Blackwater

there is a lot of white OBC's and dalits in the U.S also. it's just that in U.S they don't call them with that name. I think he might have done some of kind
of social engineering like mayawati did in UP back in 2007. without white OBC, dalit support it's hard to become a mayor where he is the only minority. I think he might have sparked the inner instict of those white skin dalits and OBC. In every country there are dalits and OBC's, Indians just have to go and make them realize. In comming years I see a lot reservation demand cropping UP in U.S and EU countries. good for them.
hahahhha you remind me of zaid hamid

sukhish

thats what you say when you run out of arguments, zaid hamid is also a minority OBC/dalit. I think every country should have reservation for OBC/dalits minorities. that's the only way social eqaility etc. reservation is key to accomplish social justice.

ejazr

Ambassador
THere are a couple of Indian American mayors but whats important to learn is that the American voter is willing to vote for people who are may be 1-st or 2nd generation immigrants without any problems. A person who can work hard and is sincire can be sucessful in local politics. Although I don't think we can make the same claim when talk about national politics in American.

A 2010 report about a New Jersey town where an Indian American was elected as a mayor as well

Indian-American Muslim chosen mayor of Jew dominated US town - The Times of India

WASHINGTON: An American Muslim of Indian origin has been elected as the mayor of a Jewish dominated township in New Jersey, across the Hudson river from New York.

Mohammed Hameeduddin, whose roots have been traced to Hyderabad, has become one of the few Muslim mayors in the United States. He was elected the mayor of Teaneck Township in New Jersey last week, following a fierce debate among its council members.

Hameeduddin, who won a council seat two year ago, earned five out of seven votes at the annual reorganisation of township government on July 1. It also elected Adam Gussen, a devout orthodox Jew, as the deputy mayor.

"No where else is this possible," the newly elected mayor was quoted as saying by ABC News.

"The opportunity to bring two communities together and break down stereotypes that have belittled our nation is both monumental and humbling," he said.

sukhish

one more OBC/dalit elected in NJ. I think the next thing would to inroduce the concept of reservation in the US political culture and see how US becomes even more prosper.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

All one can say is 'Jai Ho!'

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles