Indian Economy: News and Discussion

NutCracker

Country flag
It suddenly started a year or two back for people. i started seeing mine 2 years back at least. Tax cheaters are typically one who deal in cash. salaried never get anything in cash so cheaters never get caught in first place !!!!!!!!!!!!

that vada pav girls claimed she makes 40K a day almost but i suspect if she even have a PAN card. it,s pure cash...
To be fair now even small fastfood stalls get 80% of their payments via scanboxes. Now there can be a trick that the owner has 6 accounts/6 paytmBoxes issued in the name of 6 family members. So overall zero taxable income upto 5L each.

Kumata

Country flag
How much loss goi will incur if say they forfeit income tax upto 20 to 25 lakhs and beyond that a fix rate of 10 to 15 %.
It,s pretty good number IMO . Do not expect babus to let go the gravy train. they will never let that happen.

quoting article

India’s net direct tax collections grew 17.7% in 2023-24 to hit ₹19.58 lakh crore, marginally surpassing the revised estimates for the year, thanks to a surge in personal income taxes whose share of the tax kitty rose to 53.3% from 50.06% in the previous year while corporate taxes’ contribution dipped to 46.5% from 49.6%.
She did fed their financer's well so far .... Let us see which way Tai settles this time. Going via GST council meetings she seems a bit off her usual " I do not eat onions" stance. Only budget day will tell us which way she turns but think she is under pressure to deliver this time...People are really ready to be on streets with her vasooli and no returns. Per se economist, consumption needs a boost with stagnant salaries, only way out to put more money in peoples hand....

Election result have only added to the pain as every one knows that peacefuls got max from kaka and kaka got zero returns...So kaka hopefully understand the feeling o being let down each time!!!

To be fair now even small fastfood stalls get 80% of their payments via scanboxes. Now there can be a trick that the owner has 6 accounts/6 paytmBoxes issued in the name of 6 family members. So overall zero taxable income upto 5L each.
80% is very high number.its mostly 50-50 IMO. cash is still king. Barring us salaried, people prefer to pay in cash. we see more scan box as we look for them. Moreover there is no way for IT folks to prove that money received by these theli wala in account is business income...there are way for him to show that as gifts et all to get the nedded exemption & hoodwink IT folks.

As for second line goes. that too happen. i have seen many accepting payments on name of their wifes/ family members.

Last edited:

Concard

Country flag
SO the way it stands as on today is that income tax deptt is crediting the declared rent as HRA with employer into form 26AS of landlords for last 3 years. I know it because my landlord was crying on it and ask for excess from me .... It was never the case 3 years before.

So things have become tough for land lords...
Not really. Most landlords don't give their PAN. And if a tenant claims HRA in IT returns then if the landlord knows about it, they will be booted out. There is a rule that taking more than 2 Lakhs is an offense. But nothing has deterred landlords to take all rents offline to dodge taxes. I am seeing this in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Noida etc.

Kumata

Country flag
Not really. Most landlords don't give their PAN. And if a tenant claims HRA in IT returns then if the landlord knows about it, they will be booted out. There is a rule that taking more than 2 Lakhs is an offense. But nothing has deterred landlords to take all rents offline to dodge taxes. I am seeing this in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Noida etc.
exceptions are always there. I do know that everyone in my near circle do submit their landlords PAN card numbers . Tough to generalise I think

Sanatani

Country flag
usually companies who lease building for business. A typical company which leases a floor or two in SEZ in 2 tier city with seating capacity of 1000 approx would be paying that kind of rent.
They will never pay this big amount in cash.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles