Indian Economy: News and Discussion

MuffleParch

Country flag

shade

Country flag
Just read the craziest of all news : Karnataka government plans to start an airlines to enhance regional connectivity

It is to enhance their benami and hawala stashes, not regional connectivity.

hey, but atleast they are free of 45% commission contractors right?

NutCracker

Country flag
Now that’s called leverage!
While contracts were signed to increase the share of UAE, think we are still a long way from cutting our dependence on Qatar.

Qatar is in an enviable position against India.
- major non nato ally
- one of the largest US bases.
- Continues to host/fund snakes all around ME while also being a center for diplomacy.
- Huge LNG contracts with EU.
- Propaganda thru AJ.
- Overall a CIA_pet.

Until we cut off the LNG dependence, Nupur Sharma type fiascos cannot end.

We import only 46% of our Gas consumption. And out of that, half comes from Qatar , means just 23% of total Gas consumption. So we are not as much dangerously dependent on them as it seems like.
Need to drill more and diversity in next 2-3 years .

warriorextreme

Country flag
Oil India aims to begin drilling in Andamans in FY25, says official

State-run Oil India Limited (OIL) is expected to start drilling in Andamans in the beginning of the upcoming financial year, 2024-25, Manas Kumar Sharma, director (exploration and development), told Moneycontrol. Sharma said rigs required for drilling in the area have been identified by the company. Oil India has two shallow-water blocks, AN-OSHP-2018/1 and AN-OSHP-2018/2, in the Andamans, which the oil explorer had won in the third open acreage licensing policy (OALP) round.

According to the Directorate General of Hydrocarbons (DGH), Andamans is a ‘Category II’ basin, which implies that the basin has sub-commercial discovery in place. Category II basins are those that have contingent resources which are yet to be converted to recoverable reserves.

The government has opened up acreages for exploration in the earlier “no-go” areas with the aim to increase domestic crude oil and natural gas production. The basins in the Andamans—which have an area of 225,918 square kilometres with 18,074 sq km shallow-water area and 207,844 sq km deepwater area—are projected to be sitting on large reserves of hydrocarbons.

Shuturmurg

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars why?.
1. Olympics are never profitable, only time it has been profitable was when it was held in existing infra.
2. We will be the lowest medal winning host. We need to get better at olympics before hosting. Atleast start getting 3-5 golds.
3. Most of the Indians don't even know most of the sports in olympics, people will hardly turn up for most of the events where India is not there.
4. India doesn't have a single world class city to host. On top of that they will be hosting in Ahmedabad. Not sure what kind of experience will that be.
5. Ahmedabad has never hosted any big multi sport event. There is not even that much hotel capacity in that city since its not a major tourist hub or not even that big of international business hub like Mumbai or Bangalore.
6. I am actually less concerned about the actual venues, If BJP is in govt. till at least 2029, and in state they will stay longer, I think venues contruction will go better than CWG. Although, mismanagement of cricket world cup makes me nervous.
7. I am more concerned about city being dirty, having inadequate infra and our public being assholes to visitors.

TLDR: We know it won't be profitable, but I am more concerned that it will be mismanaged/ visitors won't have great experience causing more disrepute like CWG. Ahmedabad should first host Asian games or CWG.

karn

Country flag
1. Olympics are never profitable, only time it has been profitable was when it was held in existing infra.
2. We will be the lowest medal winning host. We need to get better at olympics before hosting. Atleast start getting 3-5 golds.
3. Most of the Indians don't even know most of the sports in olympics, people will hardly turn up for most of the events where India is not there.
4. India doesn't have a single world class city to host. On top of that they will be hosting in Ahmedabad. Not sure what kind of experience will that be.
5. Ahmedabad has never hosted any big multi sport event. There is not even that much hotel capacity in that city since its not a major tourist hub or not even that big of international business hub like Mumbai or Bangalore.
6. I am actually less concerned about the actual venues, If BJP is in govt. till at least 2029, and in state they will stay longer, I think venues contruction will go better than CWG. Although, mismanagement of cricket world cup makes me nervous.
7. I am more concerned about city being dirty, having inadequate infra and our public being assholes to visitors.

TLDR: We know it won't be profitable, but I am more concerned that it will be mismanaged/ visitors won't have great experience causing more disrepute like CWG. Ahmedabad should first host Asian games or CWG.
If by 2036 we can't get out cities to improve or are unable to conduct a large event we should rope ourselves . And again we can probably hope to see more medals in Olympics by the 2030s .
That said yes Olympics are a drain and should come under a larger sports and residential infra project . For example apartments built for the 80s Asian games are prime real-estate today.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

If by 2036 we can't get out cities to improve or are unable to conduct a large event we should rope ourselves . And again we can probably hope to see more medals in Olympics by the 2030s .
That said yes Olympics are a drain and should come under a larger sports and residential infra project . For example apartments built for the 80s Asian games are prime real-estate today.
Ya'll Nibbiars Chennai could be, afterall all they are developing a new sport cluster in the OMRm but don't think they have submitted any bid regarding hosting any multi spo4t games for now. Better to Rejuvenate the Afro Asian Games.

Crazywithmath

Country flag

Canada did not win a single gold medal when they hosted Olympics. 2036 is 13 years from now - the Indian economy would at least triple by then (india doubles its economy every 9-10 years) and urban infra is a function of size of economy and pci. The resulting infrastructure boom will improve overall urban set-up (more metro rails, more SHSR/HSR, more highways/expressways, more hotels and hospitals) and create jobs; it was the same for CWG 2010 - Delhi NCR benefitted a lot. You actually need multiple cities to host these games (for football alone you will be needing 7-8 world class stadia across various cities) and they all will benefit. The Odisha govt spent heavily in Rourkela to host the Hockey World Cup; a seemingly insignificant tier 3 city nobody used to care about before.

As far as medals are concerned look up India's tally across youth Olympics, Universiade, Asiad and Summer Olympics - there is only one conclusion to be made.....

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars From the Quora.

During the Olympic Games, Rio de Janeiro received 1.2 millions visitors. According to Rio’s city hall, 410 thousands of those were not from Brazil.

During FIFA world cup Rio received 886 thousands tourists, 471 thousands of those were foreign tourists.

Of course FIFA world cup have more than one host city, so there were much more tourists than this. Also, Rio received less tourists from Brazil because there were lots of other cities hosting FIFA World Cup.

Other cities that hosted FIFA world Cup received less tourists than Rio:

São Paulo 510,000
Belo Horizonte 355,000
Brasilia 490,000
Porto Alegre 350,000
Recife 400,000
Manaus 260,000
Cuiaba 120,000
Natal 180,000
Salvador 700,000

So, in number of tourists, World Cup can be considered bigger.

And FIFA cost much less to host than the Olympics and has same or better impact on the economy and also could generate more foreign tourists as the Football fans are a bunch of craziest lot there. And also as the Infrastructure is distributed al9ng multiple cities less risk of being white elephant if a Balance is kept in utilizing old stadium renovating them, rebuilding old stadium and only few new ones.

The data also showed the FIFA has significantly more impact on the economy than the Olympics at much less costs.

In other words Olympic is more if Prestige, while the FIFA is more about Financial sense.

If you talk about audience, both events are watched for about half of the Earth. Fifa World Cup reached 3.5 billions viewers, while Olympic Games 3.5 billions.

Last edited:

Rango

Country flag
"In the next decade, the average size of ships will be around 12,000-15,000 TEUs compared with 6,000-8,000 TEUs now, he said, adding Vizhinjam can handle ships of as much as 20,000 TEUs."

blackleaf

Country flag
Hopefully it can take some business from the ports in Sri Lanka and Singapore.

shade

Country flag
Thank God this is operational.
I thought the Faithfool of Karela and the local ArchBishop would tank it at the behest of their Congi masters, but perhaps CPIM ended up getting some "dirty pictures" of the arch bishop in question.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

The Titan Industries headed towards a Blockbuster Year.

The Sales at India based jeweler Titan Company increased in the second fiscal quarter as domestic consumers upped their purchasing during the wedding season.

The Jewelry revenue jumped 19 percent year on year for the three months that ended September 30. The Studded gold jewelry, new collections, and wedding jewelry performed well. Sales of watches and wearables grew 32 percent.

The Domestic business drove the increases, with local consumer sales showing double-digit growth in buyers and ticket sizes.

Many of Titan’s retail partners purchased jewelry ahead of the holiday period, which begins October 15 this year with Navaratri and ends with Dhanteras and Diwali in mid-November. The festive season is considered an auspicious time to purchase jewelry among many consumers in India.

The Titan which also operates an eyecare business, among other divisions opened a net 81 new stores during the period, bringing its total to 2,589 stores.

shade

Country flag
Stocks-buyers lub Dixon right now

Mera Semiconductor Fab aayega, mera Fab zaroor aayega...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles