Indian Economy: News and Discussion

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Study France and Germany. One went nuclear, the other solar/wind etc.

Compare their states and cost of power, distruption to ecosystem etc.

A bit of history. When nuclear technology was being developed, there were two contendors, uranium and thorium. One was chosen as it was more easily weaponised. Thorium has started recieving attention recently, it will mature before you use solar/wind as a completely standalone source to reliably power a city let alone a country.

It's not about hate, its about facts. No virtue signalling, please. Don't behave like a woke liberal.
solar and wind will never become a stand alone source, recent event in texas was pure bad luck as natural gas was handling their base load and their systems were not designed for such cold temperatures.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
for bhadla solar park its 2.2 Giga watt in 14,000 acres.

There is tech for storing solar energy in molten salt batteries to use at night time . i dunno if its been operationalized anywhere but its a possibility.

Thorium tech will mature around the same time pigs will start to fly , which is never. Same for fusion energy , its vapour ware , fantasy . even coal makes more sense to me than nuclear.

Solar panel tech is constantly evolving , so is battery tech.

:dude: you guys hate solar , shame shame .

solar + battery is the future.
Solar is too unreliable for it to be the future, not only is is less efficient but also hard to maintain.
With the current solar tech we won't be able to sustain our base load.
Best solar cell available in the market is 60% efficient so there isn't much room for investment. U can only so absorb so much power as the sun gives u which isnt much.

1 kilo uranium can produce 25 GW of energy compare that to solar that will require billions to reach that much.
We have some 500 gw of untapped potential in terms of Hydro better concentrate on that.

The way to go is reducing our power consumption.
Make minimum 4 star Electronics mandatory, promote efficient LED tech, improve undue losses in transmission and generation, invest in smart power saving tech.

Solar will never be the future

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Solar is too unreliable for it to be the future, not only is is less efficient but also hard to maintain.
Best solar cell available in the market is 60% efficient so there isn't much room for investment. U can only so absorb so much power as the sun gives u which isnt much.

1 kilo uranium can produce 25 GW of energy compare that to solar that will require billions to reach that much.
We have some 500 gw of untapped potential in terms of Hydro better concentrate on that.

Make minimum 4 star Electronics mandatory, promote efficient LED tech, improve undue losses in transmission and generation, invest in smart power saving tech.

Best is Solar Power used for Hydrogen generation, that Hydrogen will yield more energy.

mokoman

Country flag
The Prototype Fast Breeder reactor in Tamil Nadu, its in the final stage of commissioning
:hmm: but that one doesnt take in thorium as fuel . ones taking thorium will be build later in 3rd stage.

best efficiency under research is only 45 % , ones in market now only have 20 % .

i know , i know solar is unreliable and everything "now" , but that will change with new tech .

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
:hmm: but that one doesnt take in thorium as fuel . ones taking thorium will be build later in 3rd stage.

best efficiency under research is only 45 % , ones in market now only have 20 % .

i know , i know solar is unreliable and everything "now" , but that will change with new tech .
I must have misread than I had read one article that some lab had managed to bump up solar efficiency by 60%
The major constraint in solar energy is the insulation cost which go to millions and billions for a single power plant.
After installation it's the maintenance that is the headache.

ladder

Country flag
for bhadla solar park its 2.2 Giga watt in 14,000 acres.

There is tech for storing solar energy in molten salt batteries to use at night time . i dunno if its been operationalized anywhere but its a possibility.

Thorium tech will mature around the same time pigs will start to fly , which is never. Same for fusion energy , its vapour ware , fantasy . even coal makes more sense to me than nuclear.

Solar panel tech is constantly evolving , so is battery tech.

:dude: you guys hate solar , shame shame .

Molten salt storage is active. Atleast in USA.

ladder

Country flag

60% efficient? Are you sure about that? AFAIK commercial PV module don't have that high conversion efficiency.

ladder

Country flag

perovskite cell and other organic cell only have achieved about 30% at best. Which one showed 45% efficiency?

ladder

Country flag
I must have misread than I had read one article that some lab had managed to bump up solar efficiency by 60%
The major constraint in solar energy is the insulation cost which go to millions and billions for a single power plant.
After installation it's the maintenance that is the headache.
You are talking about CSP technologies probably. Concentration type Solar Plants.

Eg. Parabolic trough, LFR system or paraboloid dish or solar tower.

Ok, got your 60% efficiency article. University of Exeter team had claimed it using a novel approach and material ie. stretched hafnium disulfide.

Last edited:

Gessler

Country flag
Conservation is never the solution. The power needs of a country like India (or the world for that matter) will keep increasing tremendously as population rises, economy expands and pretty much everything becomes electric-driven.

If we're about to run out of power resources on June 5, 2100 (for example), conservation will ensure we run out on June 10, 2100 instead. That's about the difference that makes.

The way to go is nuclear - with up to 90% coming from reactor complexes, with 10% comprising others, mostly solar (wind is a jhumla, it should die) besides non-grid sectors (rooftop solar).

As we move ahead, small modular reactors will become a reality. And eventually, fission plants should give way to fusion - as we move to reap the fruits of projects like ITER sometime in 2050s or later. Unless we learn to harness dark matter or something...nuclear fusion plants is currently the golden ideal to aim for.

Just my opinions.

Agreed. It's a terrible waste of real estate in the name of green.

And any use of solar on the planet will remain inherently inefficient due to day-night cycle. Short of some sci-fi (for now) solution like a Dyson sphere, nothing can change that fact about solar.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
No, we don't need 10+ 10. We only need base load from conventional/ nuclear sources. Distributed solar PV / Solar thermal + wind+ biomass with storage like cheap deep cycle storage iron ion battery will take care of the rest. Even Hydrogen economy is getting traction. That's also a technology to look at.
I guess you didnt understand if government needs to generate 100GW for a hour to satisfy the need of the consumers and if it invests 20GW in solar energy and 80GW in the conventional sources of energy, then it will need to invest additional 20GW of conventional energy like coal for matching the demand of 100GW during winters, night and other times when the sun light is not enough or not available.

Also is there a battery technology yet which can match such a demand yet nor is there any sign of it being present in near future and molten salt technology is also very expensive ?

Salt based Solar plants works 24 hours. They store enough energy to run in night time.
At what cost ?

you guys hate solar , shame shame .

Buddy all I am saying is that we should adopt green energy or indeed any kind of energy, only if it is economically viable and helps pull economic development faster and industrial development quicker. We should not base on emotional speculations on green energy but rather on cold hard facts based on objective analysis. We can rather spend this for our capital defense procurement or Make in Bharat for example.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag

here2where

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag

troubling....
Same situation everywhere.
Policy formation , its implementation and its sustainability are 3 different things in bharat.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Natural gas remains the raw feed for many industries, natural gas is here to stay as long as new gas wells keep getting discovered.
Ya, Many more things including petroleum is going to stay but our dependence will reduce day by day and that is a very well come decision. Imagine you do not have to go to petrol pump to fill the petrol , Gas or diesel. Battery of your vehicle can be charged from Sunlight. What a big difference can it make?

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya, Many more things including petroleum is going to stay but our dependence will reduce day by day and that is a very well come decision. Imagine you do not have to go to petrol pump to fill the petrol , Gas or diesel. Battery of your vehicle can be charged from Sunlight. What a big difference can it make?
Ya'll Nibbiars @HariPrasad-1 is the Back From the Future Nibba. :troll:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles