Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Haldiram

Country flag
:daru:
paaaaaartaaaaayyyyy...
for once..was there at the right place at right time

Edit: Errrmmm...tremors post 2: 00 PM?
This stimulus package came from our gormint. LIC ke paise se market ko stabilize kiya. The ones who had freaked out yesterday will try to sell out at break even when markit goes up today so that secondary selling out may create a downward spiral temporarily and try to retest previous lows, but markit apni bottom bana chuki hai.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
This stimulus package came from our gormint. LIC ke paise se market ko stabilize kiya. The ones who had freaked out yesterday will try to sell out at break even when markit goes up today so that secondary selling out may create a downward spiral temporarily and try to retest previous lows, but markit apni bottom bana chuki hai.
Is it possible for a market economy to function without the government repeatedly intervening with stimulus, bailouts etc?

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Farmers ko har saal bailout de sakte hai toh market ko kyu nahi.

View attachment 44295
I know what type of bullshit these farm loan waivers are, and what it does to the overall economy. My stance is against the entire concept of govt. bailouts and interventions. I'm just asking in principle, if the govt tells the markets to manage themselves, with some sensible govt. regulations, can that system potentially be sustainable?

sorcerer

Country flag
I know what type of bullshit these farm loan waivers are, and what it does to the overall economy. My stance is against the entire concept of govt. bailouts and interventions. I'm just asking in principle, if the govt tells the markets to manage themselves, with some sensible govt. regulations, can that system potentially be sustainable?
Well...govt is intervening by asking Govt companies to acquire more assets when the economy is favorable to buy..whats wrong in that?

Haldiram

Country flag
It's alright to give bailouts. If there's one central authority with big purse strings, there's no harm using it selectively to plug holes from time to time. Imagine you are the leader of a large economy and there is some shrimp disease affecting your fishermen's income. The disease may not recur next year, but if you don't give money to your fishermen this year, they may not survive until next year. Same with bailouts. It keeps your workers in a particular sector alive. (This doesn't apply to agriculture, that's a pure loot due to brute voting force of Indian farmers, there's no fiscal prudence in farm bailouts).

Atcjurvin

It's alright to give bailouts. If there's one central authority with big purse strings, there's no harm using it selectively to plug holes from time to time. Imagine you are the leader of a large economy and there is some shrimp disease affecting your fishermen's income. The disease may not recur next year, but if you don't give money to your fishermen this year, they may not survive until next year. Same with bailouts. It keeps your workers in a particular sector alive. (This doesn't apply to agriculture, that's a pure loot due to brute voting force of Indian farmers, there's no fiscal prudence in farm bailouts).
That's why we need to bring people out from farming sector there is lot of disguised unemployment there. This is the only way of curing illness of farming sector.

Haldiram

Country flag
That's why we need to bring people out from farming sector there is lot of disguised unemployment there. This is the only way of curing illness of farming sector.
60% of our country is 'farmer', they are the largest voting bloc. They elect people like Sharad Pawar to lobby for laws in their favor. Middle class voters don't have that kind of brute strength. We want to solve their problems, they only want to rob our tax money. It's an uneven match.

Atcjurvin

60% of our country is 'farmer', they are the largest voting bloc. They elect people like Sharad Pawar to lobby for laws in their favor. Middle class voters don't have that kind of brute strength. We want to solve their problems, they only want to rob our tax money. It's an uneven match.
Unfortunately nothing can be done with vote bank. A growing country like india cannot only depend upon agriculture even though it employs 60%of people but it is the least productive sector we need to transition ourselves to secondary sector.

Prashant12

Country flag
Forex reserves surge by $5.69 billion to reach record $487.23 bn

The country’s foreign exchange surged by USD 5.69 billion to reach an all-time high of USD 487.23 billion in the week to March 6 following an increase in foreign currency assets, according to the RBI data. In the previous week, the foreign exchange reserves had increased by USD 5.419 billion to USD 481.540 billion.

Foreign currency assets, a major component of the overall reserves, rose by USD 5.311 billion to USD 451.135 billion in the reporting week. Expressed in dollar terms, the foreign currency assets include the effect of appreciation or depreciation of non-US units like the euro, pound and yen held in the foreign exchange reserves. Gold reserves rose by USD 320 million to USD 31 billion.

The special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) were up by USD 15 million to USD 1.447 billion. The country’s reserve position with the IMF also increased by USD 50 million to USD 3.656 billion, the data showed.

https://www.financialexpress.com/ec...69-billion-to-reach-record-487-23-bn/1897343/

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
@Haldiram Bhrata I started following market few months back. What just happened today?

Saw the nifty hit lower circuit and then after 45 minutes it was up by 3.8 percent by yesterday's close. How the f did market did such a U turn?

south block

up your a**
Country flag
@Haldiram I made quick bucks on YES BANK shares ---- I am new to this but loving it so far.:biggrin2:
There is nothing wrong with giving loan waiver to poor farmer in distress --- Mudi ji & political crooks give favour to there business pal on a platter who have bring this country on a brink --- here yes bank major defaulters --- many are Mudi ji and congress personal yars.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Indian ports' overall container handling trails every single Chinese port's

A file photo of shipping containers
Indian ports are far behind Chinese ones when it comes to handling of containers. India’s total containerised cargo capacity of 8.75 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) at its 12 major ports is less than a quarter of containerised goods handled at China’s single port of Shanghai.

"Shanghai container port handled four times more containers pegged at 36.5 million TEUs in 2015 compared to the combined throughput of 8.4 million TEUs in 2016-17 at all the major ports in India", according to study titled 'Indian ports sector: Challenges of scale and efficient operations' done by industry chamber Assocham.

China has four ports that handle more than 20 million TEUs, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Ningbo & Zhoushan and Hong Kong Chin, said Assocham Secretary General D S Rawat.

India's ports, however, are rapidly expanding traffic, handling more than a billion tonne of cargo in 2016-17 and the capacity is expected to increase to 2.5 billion tonnes by 2025. The freight mainly comprises POL (petrol, oil, and lubricant), coal, iron ore and other commodities.

All our 12 ports combined together handle 647 million tonnes of cargo, which is less than the Ningbo and Zhoushan port in China that handled about 900 million tonnes of cargo in 2015. The reason being that capacities of Indian ports are much below 100 million tonnes a year, said Assocham Advisor Arvind Kumar.

Even on the parameter of overall cargo, both with or without containerisation, India has a fragmented capacity at different ports. In China, there are six cargo ports that can handle over 500 million tonnes cargo per annum in addition to the eight other ports, which handle cargo between 100 million tonnes and 500 million tonnes.

Commenting on the infrastructure in India, Rawat said: "The port scaling in China is not only ahead of us but it over-awes even the major countries. Of the world’s top 20 ports, 14 are in China. No Indian port figures in the top-20 list.

In contrast, India has just two ports, which handle cargo beyond 100 million tonnes — these are Kandla and Mundra. Large productivity gains can be achieved by improving existing ports at a much lower marginal cost, the study noted.

The Assocham report said that use of containers is imperative to promote multi-modal transportation. These containers can travel across all modes. "Container is a transport unit as well as a logistics unit. Containers save handling costs when freight must be transferred from one mode to another (for example: from ships to trucks or truck to rail). This calls for cost-effective models with ready infrastructure", the report added.

The Dhamra port coming up in Odisha has an advantage as it has deep draft upto 20 meters. When it will be fully operational, it can accommodate large container vessels. Odisha as a state is better equipped to handle rising volumes of cargo, Kumar added.

The Orissa High Court decision to dispose of the case pertaining to setting up 13 non-major ports along its 480 kilometre-long coastline will further boost the prospect of port infrastructure, bring in investment, create thousands of jobs and also add to the revenues of the state exchequer, Rawat added.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Now that the Chinese nigga is out we can talk about where we need to work on improving logistics chain.

Modi got the roadways covered what about the seaways?

Global Defence

Articles