Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
The future for Indo-Gangetic plain is mostly mass migration. I don't see any other way out. Maybe some small scale industries can be brought here but mass scale industrialization is difficult.

This happened in China as well where hundred's of millions of inland Chinese moved to the costal Sez's for work. Similar trends may be seen here as well.

First of all UP government not even able to implement industries in their IP lands which they are owning for decades now. Eg. Moradabad, Kannauj, Varanasi.

fooLIam

Rajasthan will still grow. The state has low population density for indian standards and lies between Mumbai delhi route. The urban infra in smaller towns is still better and cleaner than most other states. Plus it is one of the only indian states that receives huge rich foreign and gora tourists due to the historical sites.
Will it? Rajasthan is another state with caste-kanging and sarkari naukari pasand people and no water even in Alwar -Dausa region have become dry only saving grace is Hadoti area due to Chambal.

ParamVir

Country flag
From a development point of view, the govt should concentrate on those states that are guaranteed to remain with BJP, along with letting TN, AP, KT, TL and MH continue to develop. Madhya Pradesh and Odisha should be the biggest priorities going forward for the central government in new infrastructure projects, educational institutes, and attracting investment, in conjuction with the state governments, since these states have been backward for a long time and need to catch up. The addition of Odisha is an especially welcome one since it's a coastal state, which has a LOT of potential if they do it right. They should further double down on Gujarat, as that is the safest state for long term growth and political stability.

The rest of the states are gone cases where development does not translate to mandate, which means there is no incentive from either end of the political spectrum to wasting resources there. Use them as labour pools and give freebies to keep their bellies full, but put real effort on development in the above mentioned states.
I don't think it's a good idea to ignore the Northern States that don't translate development to electoral results.

The biggest reason these Northern States are drawn towards cash handouts & subsidies is because their average income is so low that such freebies will actually make a difference.

Unlike the Southern states where these cash handouts or subsidies are a non-issue.

Example - TMC tried the "Laxmi Bhandar" type scheme in Goa. Where they promised Rs5000/m to every woman, where as they are only giving Rs1000 in Bengali. In WB it caused a miracle, where as in Goa it didn't even cause a dent.

If we have to fix the problem of freebie politics 1st we have to fix the poverty in North India. Ignoring which will only exascerba the issue.

Last edited:

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I don't think it's a good idea to ignore the Northern States that don't translate development to electoral results.

The biggest reason these Northern States are drawn towards cash handouts & subsidies is because their average income is so low that such freebies will actually make a difference.

Unlike the Southern states where these cash handouts or subsidies are a non-issue.

Example - TMC tried the "Laxmi Bhandar" type scheme in Goa. Where they promised Rs5000/m to every woman, where as they are only giving Rs1000 in Bengali. In WB it caused a miracle, where as in Goa it didn't even cause a dent.

If we have to fix the problem of freebie politics 1st we have to fix the poverty in North India. Ignoring which will only exascerba the issue.
The issue is if you do development in Northern states, it will simply go down the drain whenever they re-elect caste parties. They will actively destroy any progress whenever they come back. So it'll be one step forward two steps back. Might as well put that money into more stable states where it'll yield results.

ParamVir

Country flag
The issue is if you do development in Northern states, it will simply go down the drain whenever they re-elect caste parties. They will actively destroy any progress whenever they come back. So it'll be one step forward two steps back. Might as well put that money into more stable states where it'll yield results.
Poor people generally have herd mentality & higher fertility rate. We don't want more idiots to decide the fate of India after Delimitation.

No development means the plight of North Indians will never improve. Then the Dalit-Muslim axis will forever haunt the future of India.

Investment in the North is a long term strategy. At some point if the income levels of the North reaches parity with the South. A lot of our current problems will subside.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
Poor people generally have herd mentality & higher fertility rate. We don't want more idiots to decide the fate of India after Delimitation.

No development means the plight of North Indians will never improve. Then the Dalit-Muslim axis will forever haunt the future of India.

Investment in the North is a long term strategy. At some point if the income levels of the North reaches parity with the South. A lot of our current problems will subside.
Let's see. The assumption is that long term development is possible there even if the northern states see-saw between parties and constantly demand more reservations and freebies. If they can pull off development in such an environment then good, but I'm sceptical.

ParamVir

Country flag
Let's see. The assumption is that long term development is possible there even if the northern states see-saw between parties and constantly demand more reservations and freebies. If they can pull off development in such an environment then good, but I'm sceptical.
I think where they went wrong in UP was in the disparity of the rich & the poor to effectively utilise the new infrastructure.

The lower middle class which forms the major in North India wouldn't be bothered by the Purvanchal ExpressWay or Airports in every every district or Vandebharat to Ayodhya.

Most of them will still crowd the General compartments or take the over crowded bus through Highways. As they haven't yet reached the income levels to fully utilise the facilities that UP Gov. wants to provide them.

So it makes more sense when they vote for someone who promises Rs8000/month or higher reservation for Sarkari nawkri. The poverty of aspiration of these common people is what has led to the doom of BJP in the North.

Now what is the solution to this atleast for the short term I really have no idea.

Last edited:

TwinTails

Country flag
The Indo gangetic Plain is lost to its own devices once again. This map optimistically covers the only parts of India that will have any semblance of 21st century economic growth.

View attachment 256785
I think you should bring HP and UK too in it.
Look, if I am not wrong the only north state that is truly lost is Punjab, people there are gone case.
They are getting too much life from chandigarh and Mohali and little bit whatever left in Jalandhar and Ludhiana.

Others can be saved, please tell three fats modi, shah and nadda, that BJP is cadre and state strong party first, rest come later, it look like they themselves need this lesson first despite being party supremos.

ParamVir

Country flag
I think where they went wrong in UP was in the disparity of the rich & the poor to effectively utilise the new infrastructure.

The lower middle class which forms the major in North India wouldn't be bothered by the Purvanchal ExpressWay or Airports in every every district or Vandebharat to Ayodhya.

Most of them will still crowd the General compartments or take the over crowded bus through Highways. As they haven't yet reached the income levels to fully utilise the facilities that UP Gov. wants to provide them.

So it makes more sense when they vote for someone who promises Rs8000/month or higher reservation for Sarkari nawkri. The poverty of aspiration of these common people is what has led to the doom of BJP in the North.

Now what is the solution to this atleast for the short term I really have no idea.
In support of my argument :

As we were cheering for every new Vandebharat launched / new ExpressWay built. The common people of North India were thinking way too practically.

Crazywithmath

Country flag

As we were cheering for every new Vandebharat launched / new ExpressWay built. The common people of North India were thinking way too practically.
I think you are not regular here - blaming Ashwini Vaishnaw for this mess (confined to some north bound trains) is equivalent to blaming Modi for NPA crisis (a parting gift from the UPA). We have had pages after pages of discussions over it - on this thread and the railways thread; look them up. Vaishnaw is the one attempting a course correction but it will take time to sort out decades of negligence - the likes of Lalu and Mamata messed up capex. Vajpayee left with a very healthy OR; UPA screwed it too. And to top it off, NDA-1's poor energy demand projections played their part.

Also, they should absolutely flaunt VBs and newly built expressways/highways; the latter benefits the poor too. What's wrong with that?

These anonymous Twitter handles are doing rage baiting to earn some quick bucks; they know jack about IR.

Last edited:

vishnugupt

Country flag

If I post some random American video here then will you accept America is fucked up???

Indian railways run thousand of trains so there is high density population like Delhi NCR, Bihar specially in the time of festivals you see such rush.

By the way, the video you are showing are general category. Most of passanger don't take tickets for it.

If you believe it's real then next time try to travel in Vande Bharat without ticket and share your experience here.

Ugra Bhairav

Country flag

Vande Bharat ke saath thoda capex General Bogies per bhi invest kar dete toh inlogon ki isthiti itni vikat nahi hoti.

Har train main 3-4 dibbe hi toh badhane the, per uski jagha jo the unko hi kam kar diya.

Even bogies in sleeper class been reduced.

All it resulted in public spilling into 3rd AC and even in 2nd AC.

fooLIam

Yeah 10-15 videos here and there we have to believe dhindu Janardan gave that mandate becoze they could not travel in generals. As I said before everything is now being blamed on BJP but not elephant in room.

ParamVir

Country flag
I think you are not regular here - blaming Ashwini Vaishnaw for this mess (confined to some north bound trains) is equivalent to blaming Modi for NPA crisis (a parting gift from the UPA). We have had pages after pages of discussions over it - on this thread and the railways thread; look them up. Vaishnaw is the one attempting a course correction but it will take time to sort out decades of negligence - the likes of Lalu and Mamata messed up capex. Vajpayee left with a very healthy OR; UPA screwed it too. And to top it off, NDA-1's poor energy demand projections played their part.

Also, they should absolutely flaunt VBs and newly built expressways/highways; the latter benefits the poor too. What's wrong with that?

These anonymous Twitter handles are doing rage baiting to earn some quick bucks; they know jack about IR.
If I post some random American video here then will you accept America is fucked up???

Indian railways run thousand of trains so there is high density population like Delhi NCR, Bihar specially in the time of festivals you see such rush.

By the way, the video you are showing are general category. Most of passanger don't take tickets for it.

If you believe it's real then next time try to travel in Vande Bharat without ticket and share your experience here.
Yeah 10-15 videos here and there we have to believe dhindu Janardan gave that mandate becoze they could not travel in generals. As I said before everything is now being blamed on BJP but not elephant in room.
Actually you guys got my point completely wrong. An over crowded train is not what I am trying to show here. Trains were over crowded during UPA or NDA.

My point is who are we selling the aspirations to ? The People who cannot afford it & that number is still a big percentage of our population.

A person who doesn't even have a fixed income or life savings will not bat an eye over how good their ExpressWay/Airports are. They rather vote for someone who promises them Sarkari nawkri / reservation.

North India needs heavy urbanization & industrialization to solve this problem. And I personally think textile & electronics industry in particular can play an important role in this regard.

Last edited:

another_armchair

Country flag

Cannot educate these types who will post pictures of a pothole filled road and ask 'what did Mudi do reeee? He must go'.

another_armchair

Country flag
Actually you guys got my point completely wrong. An over crowded train is not what I am trying to show here. Trains were over crowded during UPA or NDA.

My point is who are we selling the aspirations to ? The People who cannot afford it & that number is still a big percentage of our population.

A person who doesn't even have a fixed income or life savings will not bat an eye over how good their ExpressWay/Airports are. They rather vote for someone who promises them Sarkari nawkri / reservation.

North India needs heavy urbanization & industrialization to solve this problem. And I personally think textile & electronics industry in particular can play an important role in this regard.
There are a total of 25 Vande Bharat trains. What aspirations are you talking about?

Vande Bharat was never advertised as business class experience offered at economy class rates.

The initial set of trains that were launched managed to 'break even' in less than 2 years.

No general class ticketless traveler was short changed in launching these trains which offer 2.x times better travel experience(washroom, noise, jerks/rattling) than your average Shatabdi.

1.3 billion Indians and counting - should we not evolve and expect a better travel experience than the one we we've been 'adjusting' to for the last 20 years?

Modi and his team have tried to cater to aspirations of every Indian and I'd say overachieved their peers in 10 years yet people raise strawman arguments.

ParamVir

Country flag
There are a total of 25 Vande Bharat trains. What aspirations are you talking about?

Vande Bharat was never advertised as business class experience offered at economy class rates.

The initial set of trains that were launched managed to 'break even' in less than 2 years.

No general class ticketless traveler was short changed in launching these trains which offer 2.x times better travel experience(washroom, noise, jerks/rattling) than your average Shatabdi.

1.3 billion Indians and counting - should we not evolve and expect a better travel experience than the one we we've been 'adjusting' to for the last 20 years?
The in-accessibility of the new infrastructure by the masses because of their financial constraints is exactly what I am talking about it's not just about Vandebharat.

As long as the income levels don't improve. I don't expect infrastructure to fetch electoral results in Northern states.They should now invest in SIPCOT like projects or state PLI in UP.

Last edited:

Sanatani

Country flag

I don't understand these arguments. Getting a train seat is more important than getting free food ,house ,toilets ,healthcare ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles