Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
good news for PDV, i love to see some thing other then modified Prithvi missile, missile which can be placed on container/tubes. Plus it has to be at least 4 or 6 missile on launcher. PAD modified Prithvi missile's biggest disappointment was that it was only one missile per launcher. hope for PDV designers have taken into consideration this biggest factor.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I have seen one of the launcher by L&T at defexpo 2010, here is the picture i have taken

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8gXQngrI7x8/S3rDH3acm1I/AAAAAAAAAOo/fEMkqaLZA4E/s1600-h/15022010807.jpg

guys at the stall did not informed me what was the missile for which they have made this launcher. Now i strongly suspect this will be for the new baby called PDV.

most important aspect of this system is that it has got all the three things for missile launch on single system. L&T has done lot of work in designing this system. including air inflow around the launcher.

It has to launch very important missile. (do remember that AAD launcher has been made by L&T)

Last edited:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
cross post:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...ine=Akash Missile System For Indian Army OK'd

The Army version of the Akash missile system, valued at Rs 12,500 crore ($2.8 billion), has been cleared for induction by India's Defense Acquisition Council (DAC).
The India military services' combined orders of the Defense Research and Development Organization-developed Akash, including two radars, have a total worth of Rs 23,300 crore. This is an unprecedented defense order for a DRDO-developed weapons system, and the biggest order ever for DRDO's tactical missile and radar systems.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
guys this new launcher of L&T is quite interesting and important for the following reasons;

first it was shown in almost center of the L&T stall, you can see ATV pic in the background, which goes on to show that it is one of the prestigious project of L&T.

Second L&T is the one who has made systems for the Agni 3 missile launcher, if you see the launch preparation video on you tube you will see the L&T lobo on the equitment.

finally this L&T has made AAD missile launcher http://www.drdo.org/pub/techfocus/aug04/aad_mobile.jpg
http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ve...4a220c5-1b8a-48df-bf75-1c0369cd5f9b.Large.jpg

specially the second picture look very similar to the (new launcher pic ) http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8gXQngrI7x8/S3rDH3acm1I/AAAAAAAAAOo/fEMkqaLZA4E/s1600-h/15022010807.jpg

BTW i would love to see PDV with canister and soft launch out of missile launcher.

neo29

Our BDM must have interceptors traveling at mach 10 or more just like the Chinese anti ship missile. Such type of BDM is must on our future AC's to counter Chinese ASM.

SHASH2K2

Our BDM must have interceptors traveling at mach 10 or more just like the Chinese anti ship missile. Such type of BDM is must on our future AC's to counter Chinese ASM.
Just curious . What is maximum speed of any interceptor as of now ?

keshtopatel

somebody posted the live leak video - but I am not able to have it played - what should be done as not a single video is playble - thanx for forthcoming reply

Oracle

India to test missile defence shield once again in August

NEW DELHI: It's a no-brainer that with two long, unresolved borders with nuclear-armed China and Pakistan, India needs to develop an effective missile defence shield as soon as possible. The good news is that India is planning another test of its fledgling ballistic missile defence (BMD) system next month.

BMD systems, however, are incredibly complex. They have to detect, classify, track and then hit a fast-incoming hostile missile with interceptors or anti-missile missiles with virtual pinpoint accuracy, all within a matter of minutes. No one, after all, wants nukes to leak through the so-called shield. And if there are multiple enemy missiles, it becomes all the more formidable.

Even the BMD systems of US, Russia and Israel are yet to be proven in actual conflict. The US, of course, has spent billions of dollars on its missile defence systems like Patriot Advanced Capability-3, Aegis BMD-3 and THAAD (terminal high-altitude area defence) system, the last of which was tested as recently as Tuesday.

But DRDO remains upbeat about its seemingly unrealistic claim that Phase-I of its two-tier BMD system, designed to track and destroy hostile missiles both inside (endo) and outside (exo) the earth's atmosphere, will be "ready for deployment'' as early as 2012.

Phase-I is designed to intercept enemy missiles with a 2,000-km range, while Phase-II is meant to tackle 5,000-km range missiles, as reported by TOI earlier. While Phase-I interceptors fly at 4.5 Mach high-supersonic speeds, Phase-II ones will have hypersonic speeds of 6-7 Mach.

"The next test is going to be conducted in August during which we will try to intercept a missile at an altitude of 15-20 km,'' DRDO chief V K Saraswat told reporters here on Thursday.

This will be the fifth test of the Phase-I BMD system. The first three tests, in November 2006, December 2007 and March 2009, when the enemy missiles were `killed' at altitudes of 48-km, 15-km and 80-km respectively, were successful. But the fourth, on March 15 this year, had flopped.

"The anti-missile system is a two-tiered one, where you first launch the target (enemy) missile and then you launch the hit missile. Since the target was not launched as planned (on March 15), the anti-missile system did not trigger,'' explained Saraswat.

This may well be true but DRDO has a long way to go before it can boast of successfully deploying an effective missile shield, with overlapping networks of advanced early-warning and tracking radars, fail-safe command and control posts, and robust land and sea-based interceptor missile batteries.

DRDO is yet to test Phase-I in an integrated mode, with both the two-stage exo and single-stage endo interceptors together, to first engage outside the atmosphere and then intercept the `leakers' inside to ensure the required near 100% kill probability.

Capable of handling multiple targets, the BMD system will have to be repeatedly tested for a variety of flight envelopes before it go in for production and subsequent deployment.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-once-again-in-August/articleshow/6116057.cms

Last edited:

Oracle

/\/\/\ Do we need X Band radars from US now as we will be having Phase II of BMD having range 5000 Kms?

plugwater

/\/\/\ Do we need X Band radars from US now as we will be having Phase II of BMD having range 5000 Kms?
We do not need 5000km range radar for phase 2. We are using 600km range swordfish radar for tracking 2000km range missiles for phase 1. DRDO is upgrading the swordfish radar to 1500km range. which would be enough for phase 2.

plugwater

India to test missile defence shield once again in August

NEW DELHI: It's a no-brainer that with two long, unresolved borders with nuclear-armed China and Pakistan, India needs to develop an effective missile defence shield as soon as possible. The good news is that India is planning another test of its fledgling ballistic missile defence (BMD) system next month.

BMD systems, however, are incredibly complex. They have to detect, classify, track and then hit a fast-incoming hostile missile with interceptors or anti-missile missiles with virtual pinpoint accuracy, all within a matter of minutes. No one, after all, wants nukes to leak through the so-called shield. And if there are multiple enemy missiles, it becomes all the more formidable.

Even the BMD systems of US, Russia and Israel are yet to be proven in actual conflict. The US, of course, has spent billions of dollars on its missile defence systems like Patriot Advanced Capability-3, Aegis BMD-3 and THAAD (terminal high-altitude area defence) system, the last of which was tested as recently as Tuesday.

But DRDO remains upbeat about its seemingly unrealistic claim that Phase-I of its two-tier BMD system, designed to track and destroy hostile missiles both inside (endo) and outside (exo) the earth's atmosphere, will be "ready for deployment'' as early as 2012.

Phase-I is designed to intercept enemy missiles with a 2,000-km range, while Phase-II is meant to tackle 5,000-km range missiles, as reported by TOI earlier. While Phase-I interceptors fly at 4.5 Mach high-supersonic speeds, Phase-II ones will have hypersonic speeds of 6-7 Mach.

"The next test is going to be conducted in August during which we will try to intercept a missile at an altitude of 15-20 km,'' DRDO chief V K Saraswat told reporters here on Thursday.

This will be the fifth test of the Phase-I BMD system. The first three tests, in November 2006, December 2007 and March 2009, when the enemy missiles were `killed' at altitudes of 48-km, 15-km and 80-km respectively, were successful. But the fourth, on March 15 this year, had flopped.

"The anti-missile system is a two-tiered one, where you first launch the target (enemy) missile and then you launch the hit missile. Since the target was not launched as planned (on March 15), the anti-missile system did not trigger,'' explained Saraswat.

This may well be true but DRDO has a long way to go before it can boast of successfully deploying an effective missile shield, with overlapping networks of advanced early-warning and tracking radars, fail-safe command and control posts, and robust land and sea-based interceptor missile batteries.

DRDO is yet to test Phase-I in an integrated mode, with both the two-stage exo and single-stage endo interceptors together, to first engage outside the atmosphere and then intercept the `leakers' inside to ensure the required near 100% kill probability.

Capable of handling multiple targets, the BMD system will have to be repeatedly tested for a variety of flight envelopes before it go in for production and subsequent deployment.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-once-again-in-August/articleshow/6116057.cms
Disappointed really. Why there is no news about July PDV test?

EagleOne

India To Request Javelin Missile Sale

missile sale

The U.S. is expected to receive a letter of request from the Indian government for a proposed Foreign Military Sale (FMS) of the Javelin man-portable anti-tank missile system.

Built by a joint venture of Raytheon and Lockheed Martin, the Javelin has been demonstrated to the Indian army and was brought last October to a joint Indo-U.S. training exercise aimed at sharing experience in peacekeeping, humanitarian/disaster relief and counter-insurgency/counter-terrorism operations.

Of nine Javelin firings, three were done by Indian gunners picked at random, and all scored hits, according to Roger Rose, CEO of Lockheed Martin India.

Eventually "there could be hundreds" of Javelins ordered, Rose says, although the initial request is expected to be smaller. The system weighs 22.45 kg. (50 lb.) and is ready to fire in 30 seconds with a reload time of 20 seconds. The missiles have a shelf life of 10 years.

The compact, lightweight medium-range missile system has been used in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq by U.S. and allied soldiers, marines and special operators. Eleven countries have selected Javelin to meet anti-armor requirements

anoop_mig25

Country flag
why are going to buy US Javelin missiles when we have our own NAG missiles. why our policy makers are hell bend on making us dependent on USA when we know very well they are not going to help our views/thinking

plugwater

why are going to buy US Javelin missiles when we have our own NAG missiles. why our policy makers are hell bend on making us dependent on USA when we know very well they are not going to help our views/thinking
Nag is not a man portable missile .

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
BDL is public sector company (which makes Nag) if that missile is made by Reliance then IA will love in induct the same in thousands and will parse the missile for its actual performance and may be more.

Country flag
we are investing bilions to develop weapons only to buy a foreign weapon at the end, somebody needs to examine where the flaws are??(apart from the politicians)

SHASH2K2

BDL is public sector company (which makes Nag) if that missile is made by Reliance then IA will love in induct the same in thousands and will parse the missile for its actual performance and may be more.
Main reason will be that reliance will be able to bribe to Army top Brass while a semi govt company will never do so.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles