Indian Army Armored Vehicles

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
BRDM 2 in IA used in CT ops so does in Recon and as tank killer, I doubt i saw any with both HMG and ATGM together, Still some pictures :

Kunal, do you by chance have any photos of BRDMs in IA service? There was one with an ATGM launcher over one hatch while retaining the 14.5mm machine gun turret.
Thanks for any help

sbm

Country flag
Thanks a lot Kunal. I'm thinking of one you may have posted in the old militaryphotos.net forum where there was one with an AT-4 launcher on the right hatch.

sbm

Country flag

Kunal, do you have any good photos of Shermans, Centurions, Vijayantas and T-55s in Indian service? Did we complete any major modifications to the Vijayantas and T-55s?

Here's a rare one - an Indian army Churchill tank

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas Will Tata Kestrel meet same fate as Abhay? Where does ICV Kestrel fate stand, especially after anouncement of partnership between Tata, Lockheed Martin and Bharat forge for FICV?

AnantS

Country flag
I had an old magazine on Central India Horse Regiment gifted by my Uncle, who belonged to same cavalry regt. It had nice pictures of Sherman Tanks and other armory during those days. But now lost :(

sbm

Country flag
There are some photos from WW2 but very few from post-ww2

AnantS

Country flag
^ I believe I had seen a Sherman tank kept as showpiece inside Bathinda Camp, If my memory doesnt fail me! Its operation, components was very nicely explained to us kids.

sbm

Country flag
I found these 2 of IA T-55s. 1990s I think. Any of these or Vijayantas in service? Any more photos?

AnantS

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas Will Tata Kestrel meet same fate as Abhay? Where does ICV Kestrel fate stand, especially after anouncement of partnership between Tata, Lockheed Martin and Bharat forge for FICV?
To correct myself:

Will Tata Kestrel meet same fate as Abhay? Where does ICV Kestrel fate stand, especially after anouncement of partnership between Tata, General Dynamics and Bharat forge for FICV?

aditya g

Country flag
In IA T-55s are in service with combat engineers.

Vijayantas retired a while back.

I found these 2 of IA T-55s. 1990s I think. Any of these or Vijayantas in service? Any more photos?

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

Two of them are standing half a mile from my place in Rke cant. with huge searchlight kinda look like Shorta.

Will post their pic

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I will post some pictures of Shermans and Centurions later after some research, But will post T-55 and Vijayantas now as you asked ..

The Upgrades to T-55 are mainly the gun and fire-control system, Rest are same as original ..

Kunal, do you have any good photos of Shermans, Centurions, Vijayantas and T-55s in Indian service? Did we complete any major modifications to the Vijayantas and T-55s?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Photos And Details On Vijayantas MBT :

Preserved Mk.I, now at Port Blair on static display. Another in a similar early green livery is on display at the Indian National War Memorial (Maharashtra).

vijayanta I in operations on the Indian-Pakistani border during the war in 1971, as stated by the text. The improvized camouflage seemed to have been made by brooms with washable paint, either white or beige.

Vijayanta Mark one in the 1980s standard camouflage. A variant added dark brown to this pattern.

Vijayanta Mark 1A, now on display without side skirts.

Vijayanta Mk.1B or Mk1C in operations, 1980s.

Possibly a Mark 2, 1990.

It was more or less equivalent to the soviet-built T-54/55 at the time, but this did\’nt make it a light tank either. The armour was seriously reduced compared to the centurion, with only 80 mm on the turret and glacis front plate. Still, this was good enough against conventional ww2-era tanks or early coldwar models like the Pakistani M47/M48 Pattons equipped with a 90 mm gun.

Furthermore, the L7 gave them the necessary “reach” to kill before even going into range. The placement of the turret, 1/3 to the front, and the large rear engine compartment make it similar in silhouette to the centurion. Both tanks had also roughly the same size and shared many components, which was a factor for its adoption, since maintenance and supply could be common with the Centurions in service.

The whole fleet of vijayantas, the figure of around 2200 tanks, Around 400 were upgrades like the Mk.1A,B,C and Mark 2.

• Marconi upgrade: 70 Vijayanta Mark 1 tanks were fitted with Marconi\’s SFCS 600 fire control system
  • “Bison” upgrades. 1100 Mark I were planned but apparently only a small numbers were so converted.
    • Kanchan advanced composite armour upgrade (From the Arjun tank)
    • Engine upgrade: With the V-84 of 780 hp of the T-72
    • New SUV-T55A fire control system, modern land navigation system.
  • Mark 1A: Bharat Electronics Tank Fire-Control System AL 4420, improved sight mounts & muzzle reference system.
  • Mark 1B: AL 4421 system, with a computer-assisted Barr & Stroud Tank Laser Sight to increase first round hit probability.
  • Mark 1C and Vijayanta Mark 2 were the latest upgrades.

Did we complete any major modifications to the Vijayantas and T-55s?

sbm

Country flag
THANK YOU!!! So much Kunal. What changes were made to T-55 FCS? There were all sorts of reports about the scope of the refits etc Some nice clips from the Param Vir Chakra episode on Arun Khetarpal. When were those T-55 photos from? Are they still in service?

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unfortunatly some link are not working, Try another given below :

“Project Gulmohar has reached fructification as the workshop has completed the overhaul of its last T-55,” said Commandant Brig N K Dutta. “Project Gulmohar was started in 1987 with technical help from Poland. It was inaugurated by the then defence minister K C Pant,” said Dutta.
Source : http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/t-55.htm

http://thepunekar.com/t-55-tanks-overhauled-in-khadki/2008/01/

What changes were made to T-55 FCS? There were all sorts of reports about the scope of the refits etc

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles